What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Old Midsomer murders now! Someone's just turned the ignition on on their P100 and got electrocuted to death. (P100 is on the mot dB but with no info) although Barnaby's M reg Mondeo doesn't come up. 

Bloody odd seeing where I live (thame) on TV. They filmed in Marlow once, I was rushing to town in my lunch break and remember being pissed off as some dickhead with a clipboard told me to stop walking past the library... 

No, I'd miss typed it

Screenshot_20200105_230215_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.11e3f843640d700185558d6fbd33dfc9.jpg

Bought a small, portable boost pack ('TrekPow 1500A)' off a seller on Amazon last year, and looks like it's thrown it's hand in. Checked the emails and it said it couldn't be returned after a period of time (one month!) so I mailed them as it was only 11 months old. They said it was covered by a two year warranty, apologised and sent me another one out and don't want the faulty one back. Top service to be fair, was expecting a battle from them, or to be told to FRO.  

Amazon are great at returns, my Cardo Scala (helmet bluetooth intercom thing) packed up at the end of last year after 21 months, whilst I was looking for a replacement I noticed that the new ones came with a 2 year warranty, I enquired on amazon live chat and was told that yes my old one was still under warranty and did I want my refund to my bank or gift balance, I had it in the bank after 5 minutes and I re-assembled it (the charging port was faulty) and posted the  unit back to them.

You really cannot fault their customer service in my experiences with them, image the aggro it would have been trying to return it to a bike shop.

Today's training at work was hooking up a trailer to the van, and reversing with a trailer.

The other 4 people in group have all previously worked in either retail or call centres. They didn't have the first clue on how to do it. The instructor was literally holding me back to stop me from just doing it all for them. As in, the instructor pulled on the hood of my jacket as I walked towards the van and quietly said "No, let them figure it out" and grinned.

Then when we got turns reversing the van with the trailer attached, I fucking aced it first time too. I then mentioned I may have done it before with tractors and much bigger trailers...

1 minute ago, Supernaut said:

Today's training at work was hooking up a trailer to the van, and reversing with a trailer.

The other 4 people in group have all previously worked in either retail or call centres. They didn't have the first clue on how to do it. The instructor was literally holding me back to stop me from just doing it all for them.

Then when we got turns reversing the van with the trailer attached, I fucking aced it first time too. I then mentioned I may have done it before with tractors and much bigger trailers...

You got to do your B+E license?

I did mine through work years back, watching some of the other guys doing it was hilarious!

2 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

You got to do your B+E license?

I did mine through work years back, watching some of the other guys doing it was hilarious!

Oh, no. This is a small trailer. It's just over 300kg unladen and can only take 400kg drums of cable.

The type of van I'll be driving can't tow a trailer anyway, as it's close to 3.5T when fully loaded! It's the other guys who'll be towing trailers more regularly. Should be fun*.

3 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Hat truly doffed to anyone who can reverse with any kind of trailer. It's just one major headache to us great unwashed.

It’s one of those practice makes perfect things imo.

I do loads of towing at work and having to put trailers into some seriously awkward places to get jobs done, I’ve gotten pretty good at it now but that’s only because I’ve just got stuck in and go for it. Some of the other lads I work with doing the same job hate it and avoid it at all costs. I tend to do it for them instead but I keep telling them you won’t get good unless you do it lots... they don’t listen though!

Most of the problems they have are because they’re going too fast and can’t keep control of the trailer.

That B+E course I did through work was an absolute god send though for people like us lot. It’s come in handy for shifting cars on trailers so many times for me since doing it! And I didn’t have to pay for the course or test either! Win.

I've been really pleased with how easily the gloss paint comes off the kitchen cupboards today.  One door and drawer front down, several more to go.  There's the name 'Beautility' pressed into the plastic drawer bottoms, which I assume is either the manufacturer (a name usually associated with mid-century modern dining furniture), or the range this fitted kitchen belongs to.  If anyone knows anything about Beautility kitchens I'd like to learn more, I'm guessing it's the first kitchen the house got in the late 60s or early 70s, when it was built by Sterling Homes, the blue and white certainly points more to 60s tastes than 70s.  Best of all, me and the other half both really like the old blue and white stuff in the kitchen so there's not even been any arguing about what we're doing with that room and paint stripping is way cheaper than buying a new set up.

20200106-Kitchen01.thumb.jpg.be133a71b3345f7690cb3aa531c883b8.jpg

25 minutes ago, Mally said:

The longer the trailer, the easier it is. Comes round slower.

If you start with a 4 x 3 you will never get the hang of it

Tried caravans, HGV trailers, small trailers and big trailers. Dog shit on toast describes my skills with them.

13 hours ago, vulgalour said:

If anyone knows anything about Beautility kitchens I'd like to learn more

I'd say that was a pretty up-market kitchen for the day, being fitted like that. Mum's 60's bungalow has those floor tiles, now protected by modern vinyl, but had stand-alone units. What sort of sink has it, and are they Supataps?

13 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Tried caravans, HGV trailers, small trailers and big trailers. Dog shit on toast describes my skills with them.

Obviously a CRASH course is the one for you.

https://www.northwestcrashcourses.co.uk/driving-lessons-towing-with-a-car/

They have to use enclosed box trailers, now for a test, but TBH a long empty open bed car trailer with posts at the back corners is easiest.

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

I'd say that was a pretty up-market kitchen for the day, being fitted like that. Mum's 60's bungalow has those floor tiles, now protected by modern vinyl, but had stand-alone units. What sort of sink has it, and are they Supataps?

The sink has a 'week 12/01' production paper tag glued to the bottom of it and since the cabinet it sits on is the newest bit of the kitchen, I'm guessing that means it was done in December 2001.  That cabinet and the adjoining drawer unit is also falling apart, so clearly orl nu kitchuns r shit.  No fantastically named taps for us.  Interestingly*, the newer parts of the kitchen have worn out much faster than the older parts.  There's likely some commentary to be had on consumerism and the rise of built-in obsolescence to be had there.

Back in the olden days when I used to work at the UPS, I used to be able to back an air container anywhere using one of the TUG vehicles. Most of the blokes who went airside and came back with trains like the one in the pic could reverse two with little difficulty, but a lad from the village who grew up on a farm & who had a pedal powered tractor & trailer as a kid could reverse a chain of three and would make a reasonable fist of backing up four!

982c9fd6ad52b49f3531592ec3fda846.jpg