What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

27 minutes ago, jamiechod said:

Went to look at some puppies, wife was obsessed with this little fella

IMG_20191228_154734_089.jpg

Bring him home! Bring him home!

We brought one home about a year ago, and he’s the best dog I’ve ever had. Not so good on stairs and you have to clean their rope folds every day in the spring / summer / autumn, but such great friendly pups!

62FD263F-5AAF-40CA-82D2-A046C1259447.thumb.jpeg.27ccf67bd340feb04f51bf077c71a07c.jpeg

This is Winnie (Winston Churchill) now with Roobarb Jnr. 

It's at times like this that I sometimes reflect on the experiences as a nurse over the last 33 years. Some sad, some poignant, some just plain fucking weird.

Here is but one example: I used to work as a CPN in a small little area not a million miles away from, oooh, let's say... Southall. The CMHT building was an older property, lovely building, probably worth a small fortune nowadays. The patients that attended were lovely, really nice folk. To enter the main building you had to wait to be buzzed in by the receptionist usually. However, this one particular afternoon I was nearest to the window and buzzer. A very well-known patient was stood there, looking calm and eager to gain access. I greeted him (let's call him... Fred (don't worry that isn't his real name) with the following words ' Hi Fred, good to see you. Do you have any idea why your trousers might be on fire?' Fred looked about wildly, he looked everywhere except at the most appropriate place, namely his trousers which were billowing smoke at this point. I ran to meet him and proceeded to put out the admittedly small fire which had started in the cuff of his trousers. His trousers had been ignited by a discarded cig butt. He was very grateful. He looked a little bemused by my next comment which was.... 'See, I told you smoking was dangerous'. The sounds of muffled choking laughter could be heard from my colleagues located in the office. Ah, those were the days.

• Took the dogs to Ilsham valley  earlier, Phoebe lays in the hedge and destroys things and Chester wanders around, searching for other dogs to annoy/sniff/bonk. while he was away on the hunt, a pair of very nice ladies turned up with a 6 month old BASSET puppy! He was gorgeous and soooo friendly. However, even though it's a huge area and dog friendly, he was on his lead. I quickly surmised that he was displaying his Bassetness and was right: if let off, he would disappear for days. He also spends his life 'mooing' (I always thinks it's more like 'woo-woo')  at one and all, eats everything in sight and refuses to do anything he doesn't want to do.
  • The lady who owned him already had the look of exasperation that all Basset owners seem to acquire within a few months of ownership.
  • Chester re-appeared with the greatest speed I've seen him display and was all over this dog - love at first sight for sure and, inevitably, he totally ignored me and followed the dog all the way back to their car. The lady appeared quite worried and sort of shoo'd him back a few times but I told her not to worry, once he realises he's too far away and his 'meal ticket was/is out of sight, he'd dash back as if his bum was/is on fire. sure enough, he did.
  • It's a 'Basset' thing... you get used to them, the bastards!

16 hours ago, Bobthebeard said:

Working on Christmas Day. My first Christmas as a private hire driver so decided to put my name down to work all day. Christmas tariff so 50% extra. Really enjoyed the day, everyone in a good mood, no traffic and plenty of 'tips'. Was about to sign off at 6pm but a job pinged up to collect a customer from a local club. Turned up, waited and waited. Just about to log the job as a No Show then a young lass dashed out in full going out gear. "Are you waiting for me? It's Katie" Agreed that I was so in she got. She needed to go and feed her four horses and return to the party, could I wait and bring her back etc? Did that. The grin is that she was delightful and her horses were in stables miles away. £30 fare and a £10 tip. A great end to work on Christmas Day. 

That wasn't the ending I was expecting.

On 12/28/2019 at 1:25 PM, Bobthebeard said:

Working on Christmas Day. My first Christmas as a private hire driver so decided to put my name down to work all day. Christmas tariff so 50% extra. Really enjoyed the day, everyone in a good mood, no traffic and plenty of 'tips'. Was about to sign off at 6pm but a job pinged up to collect a customer from a local club. Turned up, waited and waited. Just about to log the job as a No Show then a young lass dashed out in full going out gear. "Are you waiting for me? It's Katie" Agreed that I was so in she got. She needed to go and feed her four horses and return to the party, could I wait and bring her back etc? Did that. The grin is that she was delightful and her horses were in stables miles away. £30 fare and a £10 tip. A great end to work on Christmas Day. 

I did this for about 3 years and Christmas and New Year didn't really seem like work. Our peak tarriffs over that period were double rate, so the earnings really stacked up and with no traffic to speak of and cops who just wanted the town centre emptied fast jobs were usually done quicker than ever.  Fortunately we didn't have to pay extra subs over that time, so a really good way to earn £££ (and yes, there were a few invites.....)

Coming back from @UltraWomble's yesterday (thanks for that, M) on the M6 at Thelwall by the 56 turn off, there was a Hillman Imp police car being piloted along. It even had a sort of rolling sign in the back window. Bit dangerous, it seemed to be doing only about 40mph.  Great to see though.

No picture as I was driving, but at about 17:30 today on the M25 anticlockwise between junctions 12 and 11 there was a hero/mentalist A-framing a Mk2 renault scenic with another Mk2 scenic. There were in, but not causing, heavy traffic and my day and 200 mile drive was improved substantially by the sight of this act of idiocy.

1 hour ago, DeeJay said:

Good news.

What did the vet think was wrong with him, something he ate?

Thanks.

Yes, that or a virus of some sort. He's normally really fussy with eating, won't eat outside the house including when they try and give him treats at Pets at Home. 

I have made Musical Offspring proud.

As we approach the third decade of the 21st century, I have finally joined the second.  I downloaded the Wetherspoons app onto my phone, set up Google Pay, and obtained a cheap yet filling breakfast without communicating with the bar staff at the Hedgeford Lodge...

27 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

I have made Musical Offspring proud.

As we approach the third decade of the 21st century, I have finally joined the second.  I downloaded the Wetherspoons app onto my phone, set up Google Pay, and obtained a cheap yet filling breakfast without communicating with the bar staff at the Hedgeford Lodge...

Y no invite for the massiv, fatty