What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

4 hours ago, Fumbler said:

200 amps. Ha ha ha haaaaa......
.... research ...

Guess you have already found out that generally these type of Chinesium 200a inverters are not bad for the money as long as you factor in that the display shows about twice the actual current. And of course the 200a rating is nearer 100a.

21 hours ago, xtriple said:

I just heard of a car company that has recently set up a plant in China to make one specific model. All the cars have certain tolerences by design but apparently some have been 'pushed' a bit... to the extent that certain parts (namely headlights) from a UK built car will not fit the exact same car being built by the same company in a new factory in that there China.

thats gotta be JLR - some of their bits made in this country don't fit on cars assembled in this country!

6 hours ago, Rovorsche said:

Tesco Insurance are CUNTS!

My Mother In Law stayed with them for Ten years, and was paying £650 for a 1.4 seat, the yearly increments were excessive but affordable to her.

Switched to RAC for £280 including breakdown cover and hasnt looked back.

They all are, my dad was with the same company for decades , they were charging him over £600 , I got it for less than 50%  of that

Didn't go so well though , 18 months later he rang me up , who was that insurance with , I can't find the certificate and I need to tax my car 

That's when I found out it hadn't auto renewed and he'd been driving with no insurance for 6 months 

Oops 

22 hours ago, xtriple said:

I just heard of a car company that has recently set up a plant in China to make one specific model. All the cars have certain tolerences by design but apparently some have been 'pushed' a bit... to the extent that certain parts (namely headlights) from a UK built car will not fit the exact same car being built by the same company in a new factory in that there China.

A friend of mine worked in his dad's business selling industrial machines. 

Manufacturing by contractors in China, they would produce the first batch perfectly. 

Then gradually the spec began to drift. 

Titanium fixings became stainless, stainless fittings became mild. 

Non vital components start to disappear. 

Sizes begin to shrink. Metal got thinner and thinner. 

The company would have the machines shipped directly to the customer and only discover these cut corners when they went to maintain or repair them. 

A swift flight to China and a bollocking given, the spec returned to normal for a bit. 

49 minutes ago, hairymel said:

Guess you have already found out that generally these type of Chinesium 200a inverters are not bad for the money as long as you factor in that the display shows about twice the actual current. And of course the 200a rating is nearer 100a.

Indeed, people's current readings on Youtube show this. In the case of This Old Tony, switching polarity makes the weld better, however I don't know if this applies to all of them.

14 hours ago, Timewaster said:

A friend of mine worked in his dad's business selling industrial machines. 

Manufacturing by contractors in China, they would produce the first batch perfectly. 

Then gradually the spec began to drift. 

Titanium fixings became stainless, stainless fittings became mild. 

Non vital components start to disappear. 

Sizes begin to shrink. Metal got thinner and thinner. 

The company would have the machines shipped directly to the customer and only discover these cut corners when they went to maintain or repair them. 

A swift flight to China and a bollocking given, the spec returned to normal for a bit. 

"Heaven is high, and the Emperor is far away"

Alternatively, when the cat's away,  the mice mitch off early. 

Drove my mum and dad about on Christmas day so they could both have a gargle when out visiting, they normally laugh about how I always have a different car when I visit them, and this was the first time they'd seen the Saab. They were absolutely purring over it ? had a fair bit of country road driving so stuck the roof down for a laugh, they loved it. Think I'll just donate it to them when the time comes to buy my next piece of chod from here. 

Working on Christmas Day. My first Christmas as a private hire driver so decided to put my name down to work all day. Christmas tariff so 50% extra. Really enjoyed the day, everyone in a good mood, no traffic and plenty of 'tips'. Was about to sign off at 6pm but a job pinged up to collect a customer from a local club. Turned up, waited and waited. Just about to log the job as a No Show then a young lass dashed out in full going out gear. "Are you waiting for me? It's Katie" Agreed that I was so in she got. She needed to go and feed her four horses and return to the party, could I wait and bring her back etc? Did that. The grin is that she was delightful and her horses were in stables miles away. £30 fare and a £10 tip. A great end to work on Christmas Day. 

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Yep, space probes were built to last in those days.  Not like the flimsy Space-X crap they're pushing out now which half the time can't even get into orbit without falling to bits.

Boeing can't even get theirs to go into orbit at all, not the right one anyway, so experience isn't all it's cracked up to be. At the moment parachute science seems to be harder than rocket surgery, or something.

Spent the last 2 days at work driving this

AC20C15B-180D-494C-B6D2-BA398372480B.thumb.jpeg.168a4d7101f0dafd3805d49bc142ce04.jpeg

Anyone Who has ever driven a Merc Econic will know why I’ve been grinning since yesterday morning.

Loaded it hits the limiter (56mph) in 50 seconds, which for 26 tonnes and a 280hp engine is pretty quick....