What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I read through that in one of those cut-price remainder bookshops the other day. Looks like a rehash of Crap Cars.

Who'da thunk it ?  Giles Chapman re-hashing some lame captions on photographs we've all seen a million times before ( mostly in his books for the last 20 years) then getting gullible relatives to buy for car loving Dads, Grandads, brothers, uncles etc, at Christmas. And of course we're all too polite to say anything , or are just glad to get anything car related, that he'll get away with it for the next 20 years.

4 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Who'da thunk it ?  Giles Chapman re-hashing some lame captions on photographs we've all seen a million times before ( mostly in his books for the last 20 years) then getting gullible relatives to buy for car loving Dads, Grandads, brothers, uncles etc, at Christmas. And of course we're all too polite to say anything , or are just glad to get anything car related, that he'll get away with it for the next 20 years.

Peter Kay got away with that with his dvds for years. The same show as last year's, but in a different theatre, released a month before Christmas. 

I just heard of a car company that has recently set up a plant in China to make one specific model. All the cars have certain tolerences by design but apparently some have been 'pushed' a bit... to the extent that certain parts (namely headlights) from a UK built car will not fit the exact same car being built by the same company in a new factory in that there China.

I'm watching Skyfall on +1, and the motorbike chase across the rooftops reminded me (yet again) of my 1986 Bond Moment.

I set off to a "do" in my tux, driving my Fiat 500 (JTD 241F) and broke a driveshaft.  Conveniently, just up the road from my sister's flat!  So I strolled down and borrowed... her Honda moped!  Riding up to one of the top hotels in Southport in full rig, on  a lovely summer evening, on a moped... it was a joy to walk into the room with helmet and gauntlets under my arm!

OK, so I wasn't chasing anyone, but you know.... it just felt right.

25 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

I'm watching Skyfall on +1, and the motorbike chase across the rooftops reminded me (yet again) of my 1986 Bond Moment.

I set off to a "do" in my tux, driving my Fiat 500 (JTD 241F) and broke a driveshaft.  Conveniently, just up the road from my sister's flat!  So I strolled down and borrowed... her Honda moped!  Riding up to one of the top hotels in Southport in full rig, on  a lovely summer evening, on a moped... it was a joy to walk into the room with helmet and gauntlets under my arm!

OK, so I wasn't chasing anyone, but you know.... it just felt right.

Is there a video , that sounds great 

Had a few good festive gifts, nothing car related sadly.

At least this will allow me to do a bit of rammel spotting

F8CF126D-0326-41D2-B9EC-C91798BA01F8.thumb.jpeg.93fe9d0a91e975b9421909eca76b9e9b.jpeg

on way home yesterday 

128388CC-4714-4428-AC91-10D1DCE9F298.thumb.jpeg.012193c89f718210025d08220bbd4e3c.jpeg

bargaibous! Freezer is well stocked now woth this and Xmas eve meat auction goodies.

back to work now. Not a harumph as I know what I’m doing today can be done by 10:30....

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

Had a few good festive gifts, nothing car related sadly.

At least this will allow me to do a bit of rammel spotting

F8CF126D-0326-41D2-B9EC-C91798BA01F8.thumb.jpeg.93fe9d0a91e975b9421909eca76b9e9b.jpeg

on way home yesterday 

128388CC-4714-4428-AC91-10D1DCE9F298.thumb.jpeg.012193c89f718210025d08220bbd4e3c.jpeg

bargaibous! Freezer is well stocked now woth this and Xmas eve meat auction goodies.

back to work now. Not a harumph as I know what I’m doing today can be done by 10:30....

I could do with going to tesco later, might have a mooch about. Co-op had nothing yesterday, town was dead though! 

There may be interesting times in years to come, the quantity of flying space junk is set to double

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50870117

To quote ESA " In general the amount of dedicated observation campaigns to study re-entry break-up events, be it via on-ground, on-orbit, or in-situ sensors, is surprisingly low given that on average an object with mass above one ton re-enters the Earth's atmosphere every two weeks. "

There are a number of impact trackers out there but ths is the first I found with a map
http://www.satview.org/spacejunk.php

What I find strange is the biggest contributor to the increase is Space-X Starlink, their products are also beginning to clutter the predicted re-entry list on spacejunk.

I dont understand their business model at all, putting things in orbit is expensive, are there really enough Mongolian Goatherders just waiting to sign up to Just Eat ?

Or is this just another layer of mobile phone tracking on a global scale ?

(Yes I have been catching up on The Grand Tour, and found it has improved with age)

Anyway, keep an eye on the trackers, the impact point isnt an exact science and most break up about 70 Km above ground and have fuel reserves to force a safe re-entry into the sea or a place nobody gives a crap about but with commercial pressures leading to cost cutting you never know if that very bright star you can see will be coming very close, very soon.

As its Christmas, Moonraker must be on somebodies TV today

Q: "My God, what does Bond think he is doing???! "
M: "I think he's attempting re-entry, sir "

Thing is, every year it's the same for the Streetwise and the 620 - Tesco always come in cheapest on the comparison sites (not the other fleet members, bizarrely), you ring them up, give them the quote number and they match without quibble.

The lassie I spoke with today was genuinely gobsmacked at my 62% saving !

They just rely on people not taking a few minutes to hit Confused etc

That was the final straw, I gave her the price from Confused.com and she called them back to challenge the renewal value, Tesco would only offer a £50 reduction as their best online price was for new customers only.

Perhaps some layer of middle managers with agressive targets has been Re-deployed.
I have even ignored their quotes on comparison sites, an additional £3.00 for anyone but Tesco seemed attractive to me.

Home from work at 2 today, so grabbed half an hour with a vacuum and gave the ZX a muck out! No pics because I was just very into it. 

Do need to carry on with the interior cleaning though... Feel a drill brush and a cheap drill is a good thing to buy next year. 

Did enquire about a new interior for it, and found one but the rear seats were different. Do the sliding rear bench seats bolt up as the fixed/folding rear seats do on mine? 

Was a well nice L reg brown cloth interior too, from a breaker up in Worcester if anyone wants details, he still has the car I think (it's white) 

54 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

I thought you were posing for a photo in some public toilets for a minute there.

??? It had the appeal of a public toilet to be fair 

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

Looks like your about to order a coffee that'll take 23 minutes to make... 

Hahaha genuinely lolled! 

1 hour ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Coffee with a fish supper? Or is the hipster haunt du jour now chippies ironically converted into espresso bars?

Could be a gay bar with unconventional dining service?