What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

9 hours ago, New POD said:

If you're mixing it with coke or ginger beer, or (not done since 1986 by me) white wine, any cheap shit will do. Or Grants if you can't get any cheap shit. 

Grants is the best of the blended stuff. They make Balvenie which is my favourite malt. Tescos currently have Auchentoshan for £20 a bottle. They have all the common spirits for £16 a litre so I'm stocking up.

6 hours ago, paulplom said:

Heated screens are for winnaz!

I've found something even better than heated windscreen. Heated undergound parking, paid by the company. Mine is the cheapest, oldest, least prestigious car in it, and my bay is right by the elevator. Proper grin right there!

23 hours ago, New POD said:

If you're mixing it with coke or ginger beer, or (not done since 1986 by me) white wine, any cheap shit will do. Or Grants if you can't get any cheap shit. 

A local restaurant to us pours cheap whisky over plain Viennetta ice cream for a dessert. It is a lot better than you think. ?

26 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Heated screens are for smug bastards who can’t see the lines. Unfortunately they have given me a migraine when I’ve been in a car with one.

I have to say that my eyes would always focus in on the splinters of element in my old Mk2 Mondeo screen. It was a drag, but the insta-de-ice in the winter was well worth it. 

1 minute ago, Stanky said:

I have to say that my eyes would always focus in on the splinters of element in my old Mk2 Mondeo screen. It was a drag, but the insta-de-ice in the winter was well worth it. 

My colleague has a new focus and is fine with it, but when he’s given me a lift I can’t help but focus on the lines snd have started to feel bad. I’d say it was a pain worth suffering as the last frosty morning I had to de ice the inside of the bloody car.

We finally, officialy, properly, have the keys to our new house.  Was it all plain sailing?  Of course not!  The previous owner had managed to lock the front door with the wrong key, snap the key off in the lock, not tell the estate agent, and leave the wrong keys with the estate agent.  So when other half attempted to unlock, he couldn't get in.  Queue a locksmith and £80 bill which is now getting passed on to the previous owner.  The correct keys were found inside the house, typically.  You've got to laugh I suppose.

We also learned the previous owners bought the house when it was about 8 years old, this would have been late 60s/early 70s.  Their approach to decorating, and apparently housework, was to just put fresh flooring and wallpaper over whatever was there before when it got dirty.  On the plus side, this means that the vast majority of the original 60s bits and bobs are still there, including a fabulous blue and white chequerboard Marley tile floor in the kitchen, a feature we'll be keeping even though Marley tiles seem to be about as popular as The Black Death currently.  We like them, that's all that matters.

Previous owner stung us again by doing the typical thing of "locusting" the property on their way out.  A couple of scabby blinds, some bad-ugly lampshades, and literally smelly flooring is all they left.  Annoyingly, that meant the white goods we were expecting to have on moving in that would see us through short term, werent' there, so that'll be another £170ish we're forking out for a new cooker then, since we didn't have one to bring with us and hadn't budgeted for it since we thought there was one with the property.  They also took the free-standing stove in the living room.  Initially this was something of a shame because we thought the metal panel covering up the hole in the original fireplace was because it was no longer functional.  Amazingly, the original open fire is still there, so we'll get the flue checked and a new ash pan thingy (dog grate?) since that's missing, but it still has the fire bricks and the grate that sits over them present.  I suspect it should be one of those irridescent finish jobs, like this:

f732_0.jpg

There's some brilliantly daft electrics happening too.  There's a household plug on a wire hanging in the hallway closet, and when you plug it in a light in the living room comes on.  There's a light switch in another room that seems to do nothing at all.  The bathroom was originally a separate indoor toilet room and bathroom, the wall has been knocked down but both light pulls and ceiling lights retained.  One of the bathroom ceiling lights has a heater element incoporated in it, which is broken, and looks about as safe as you'd imagine such a thing.  One of the doors into the newly enlarged bathroom has been blocked off by removing the door handle after the door was closed, and then screwing a towel rail onto the door frame on the bathroom side.  The two bedrooms have had their doors switched around so the door opens against a wall, rather than into the middle of the room, which is fine until you realise that means the door opens over the light switch so to turn the light on you have to go into the room, shut the door, and fumble about in the dark for the light switch.  The kitchen door has disappeared and been replaced with a curtain rail, presumably for a beaded curtain.

Because of the many layers of wallpaper, we've taken to referring to it as the onion house.  It's going to be a fun adventure.  I'm really looking forward to it.

8 hours ago, Stanky said:

Can't see the lines in my custom. I could now and then in my last van which was a 2010 transit. I'm gonna have a look later, or maybe not..

Maybe its because you sit farther away in a van. Either way they're for winners. Great for demisting as well, from when your soaked through from fixing a leak or whatever.

8 hours ago, vulgalour said:

including a fabulous blue and white chequerboard Marley tile floor in the kitchen, a feature we'll be keeping even though Marley tiles seem to be about as popular as The Black Death currently.  We like them, that's all that matters.

Just be careful as they are probably loaded with asbestos if original to the house.

Other than that, the original 60s fittings sound great, I’m quite a fan of that type of thing myself.

5 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

Just be careful as they are probably loaded with asbestos if original to the house.

Opinions vary on that so I wonder if it's just that some have it and some don't.  Not a concern for us, we're not going to lick the floor or be disturbing the tiles so we shouldn't be at risk of any of the asbestos nastiness.  I mean heck, I've been around plenty of asbestos sheet garages and none of those have killed me yet.

Sold my Saab to a nice bloke this morning. Hadn't been started for four weeks, covered in ice, so that would test out the battery. Started first turn of the key.

Did a 35 mile test drive and he drove it properly, so very glad it has gone to a good home, and I can now stop worrying about it going to a moron.

14 hours ago, vulgalour said:

including a fabulous blue and white chequerboard Marley tile floor in the kitchen, a feature we'll be keeping even though Marley tiles seem to be about as popular as The Black Death currently.  We like them, that's all that matters.

Just be a bit careful with those. Some of them from the 60's contained chrysotile (white) asbestos. It was added to make manufacturing easier, no other reason.

We had problems at work with cleaners refusing to buff them with the machine polishers. We did monitoring and found bugger all asbestos was released so there's virtually no risk. Risk is if you start breaking them (in removal), fortunately you like them.