What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

i'm more concerned by that cheap god awful residential shop light installed there!

I highly recommend replacing it with something that actually contains half decent somewhat full power ballasts!

(preferably from the 1970's to match the rest of it :)

Incredibly hard to find. Modern stuff is all LED but I agree, it's a horrible fixture.

Phil

13 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Incredibly hard to find. Modern stuff is all LED but I agree, it's a horrible fixture.

Phil

but indeed sadly finding something decent new is very hard these days,

but (sadly because of LEDs) a lot of very decent stuff can be found on craigslist/ebay/local salvage shops and what have you :)

nothing screams overkill like an 8ft 2 lamp industrial turret F96T12/VHO fixture, 215W per tube FTW!, bonus points if you get some power groove tubes to go with it :)  

Is it just me but i do enjoy stumbling upon a LightBulbFun post every few weeks and feeling i have entered another dimension i know nothing about. I still read them and then think "no, no idea! "

A bit like reading Alice in wonderland for the 1st time.

More please.

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

nothing screams overkill like an 8ft 2 lamp industrial turret F96T12/VHO fixture, 215W per tube FTW!, bonus points if you get some power groove tubes to go with it :)  

You won't actually be able to do any work in there as your retinas will be fried to a crisp within 10 nanoseconds of turning the thing on, but that's a minor detail...

25 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

You won't actually be able to do any work in there as your retinas will be fried to a crisp within 10 nanoseconds of turning the thing on, but that's a minor detail...

hah apt, given what I just posted in the "LightBulbFun" thread that resides in the open forum :) (and more for @Sir Chocolate Teapot ) on a more serious note although it would be VERY bright in there, it would not be that hard on the eyes, because especially if you use Power groove tubes, which use large T17 tubing, the surface brightness won't be so bad, so relatively easy to look at

id love to get some power groove tubes in the collection but they are very rare in the UK, I am fortunate enough to have 3 Westinghouse F48T12/SHO tubes in the collection (SHO standing for super high output, being westinghouse's equivalent of the VHO tube) these are only 4fters so "only" 110W a pop, still impressive compared to the 40W a 4ft T12 normally is!, note the funky orange end caps, as opposed to the black end caps Westinghouse normally used

image.thumb.png.4d97d435f7a32087ec24073b8358c67d.png

in the US outside of normal bipin fluorescent tubes, in the late 1950s/1960s they made a push to "standardise" things across tube lengths, so the current stays the same across the different tube length, this allows their constant current ballasts to drive a large size range of tubes, one ballast for example could then drive a tube from 2ft to 8ft

as such in the US there's generally 3 classes of fluorescent tube, the 460Ma class, generally known as "slimline" tubes (even tho they are still T12s!), an 8ft slimline tube is 75W these are also known as single pin tubes, as they only have 1 pin on each end, then you have the HO high output class, these run at 800ma, an 8ft HO tube is 110W, then finally you have the VHO class, very high output these run at 1.5A (1500Ma) and an 8ft one is 215W, the HO and VHO tubes use the same R17d end caps (recessed double contact 17 mm pin spacing) Power Groove tubes are part of the 1.5A VHO family, and you can read about PG tubes here :) http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Spec Sheets/D FL Halo Ar GE F96PG17-CW.htm

these standardised tubes, have ordering codes that dictate their length, where as bipin tubes have ordering codes that dictate their wattage

so a 4ft slimline/HO/VHO tube would be F48T12 F48T12/HO F48T12/VHO respectively, where as a normal 4ft bipin tube would be F40T12, because a normal 4ft T12 is 40W

here in the UK fluorescent tube sizes work a bit differently, and each tube length is generally its "own thing" without a common current rating across sizes, (although there are some exceptions) which is less of an issue thanks to our much simpler choke ballasts, and also due to each size in the UK having its own origins etc, rather then all being introduced at the same time

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

More big ass lightbulb time! 

a good year ago or so, I came across a seller in the US, selling lots of 2, 700W General electric mercury vapour lamps, 

now the 700W mercury lamp size is pretty rare in england, but in the US its very rare, so I very much wanted to buy a lot of 2 to add to my collection (especially as they were clear, Clear mercury vapour lamps are very rare in england)

however I just couldn't afford the expense, but I stuck it on the watch list to keep an eye on them, until a couple weeks ago, out of the blue the SELLER sent me a best offer on them?!

iv never been sent a best offer by a seller before!

and as you can probably tell by this point, the offer was a good offer, and I figured oh what the hell its almost christmas, so I took the seller up on the offer

and thankfully they arrived a couple days ago intact :) (despite the relatively poor packaging job by the seller, there was at least some scrunched up paper on the other side, but I think their fairly light weight is what saved them from getting broken)

1040992905_ImagefromiOS(102).thumb.jpg.c1da48ce721e9fd22141c84c96f34728.jpg

1499399147_ImagefromiOS(101).thumb.jpg.29aea5242d7b1838493b041766dc6eea.jpg

to add to the fun, the US 700W Mercury vapour lamp has very different electrical specifications to the British 700W mercury vapour lamp

a British 700W mercury vapour lamp runs at 135V 5.4A, where as a US 700W mercury vapour lamp runs at 265V 2.8A

this means in the UK there's no off the shelf way to run one (and even in the US due to the scarcity of 700W MV lamps, matching control gear is even rarer)

so with these 2 arriving, I got out my Westinghouse 700W Mercury lamp that I already had in my collection

and hooked it up to my special British ballasts for driving US 1Kw Mercury/metal halide lamps which run at 265V 4.2A (this ballast alone is very special and rare! I was very fortunate to pick up 2 on ebay about a year ago)

and then I used my variac to see if by dropping the input voltage to the ballast if I could drop the lamp current down enough to run a 700W MV lamp properly

I was a bit worried that by the time I dropped the voltage down enough to hit the desired current that the lamp would go out because the open circuit voltage was too low (a general rule of thumb is the open circuit voltage of a ballast has to be about twice that of the lamps running voltage or the lamp will extinguish)

but thankfully that was not to be an issue and indeed I was able to drop the current down enough, as seen in this picture :) (red meter is measuring lamp current, yellow one is measuring lamp voltage)

646990872_ImagefromiOS(95).thumb.jpg.c99225b289380b9dbb71c0d2971a4f17.jpg

I ended up feeding about 200-210V into the 240V ballast, I was very happy as this meant I have fairly simple way of running US 700W Mercury lamps, (I had managed to run up my westinghouse one pictured, in the past, but it involved a very complicated setup, which involved rewiring my variac to use it as center tapped autotransformer)

this setup did not require me to rewire anything 

so with this success, I then of course fired up one of the General electric 700W lamps :) 

Ignition! note the outer bulb glowing a lovely blue colour from all the UV coming out of the arc tube

2116800604_ImagefromiOS(99).thumb.jpg.672638de9e0f3bede5afb0e0f75f619d.jpg

same shot but with the exposure turned down to see more details of the arc itself 

1412918560_ImagefromiOS(100).thumb.jpg.48a63fedce611b4e4ae8fe2e921cc2b8.jpg

and then fully warmed at full power :) until now my biggest clear mercury lamp was 175W, so this 700W beast was a fun experience 

1022260030_ImagefromiOS(96).thumb.jpg.2f54f733d3d29f890509f55566a760ac.jpg

and then one of my favorite shots, a close up of the arc tube at full power :) 

2039044446_ImagefromiOS(97).thumb.jpg.43f8453648e2764633289eb44c25d809.jpg

and then finally shut off, check out the glowing electrodes!

550013466_ImagefromiOS(98).thumb.jpg.7dd72f19f0a3e01c1d05c13ea59648aa.jpg

funnily enough despite knowing quite a few US collectors who have 700W mercury vapour lamps I think im the first one to actually figure out/have the setup to light them! and im in the UK!

18 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Power Grooves are really hard to come by here, simply because cost when new.

I just need a halfway decent fixture.

Yeah, (sadly I dont think GE makes them any more...), on the subject of US tubes id also love a F90T17 or 2 the original 1940s "high output" fluorescent tube :) (well that would be the F100T17 but those are INCREDIBLY rare)  a 5ft long T17 90W big bardstard of a tube

but yeah a decent 2 lamp F40T12 shoplight with a decent full power (0.76A or 0.80A line current) ballast should work quite nicely :) 

could always make something yourself! :) (and even find a preheat ballast if you want to feel like your in the UK again #blink-blink)

Well, once things get settled here I may grab a replacement fixture. This one is falling apart- I wizzed the top over with a wire wheel and gave it a coat of paint (navy blue) but the tubes always need a wiggle to get them going because the end cap is falling apart.

Preheat blink would be nice.

I also want to get a nice 18W LPS for outside.

Phil

I shouldn't laugh but. Mum at school stopped me last week to show me a scratch on her bumper, 05 focus. Scratch is very tiny and not worth bothering with. She then tells me the tale of how another parent had done it but said nothing. So loads of detective work secured her a witness to said little bump. Driver of car approached and agreed to pay for the damage . She then tells me that dent master have said around £150.00 to spray bumper etc. Dont get me wrong the bumper does have a scratch and mark on it. But not that bad. This was on Tuesday she was telling me all this . Other lady going to pay , so she should , look at the damage and other drama. So jump to friday and we are all going out of car park when said mum runs into the back of an 05 fiesta and proper smashes the bumper in. Cant wait for monday to see if fiesta driver is getting some proper prices for spraying and fitting a new bumper. Karma at it's best. 

47 minutes ago, taxi paul said:

I shouldn't laugh but. Mum at school stopped me last week to show me a scratch on her bumper, 05 focus. Scratch is very tiny and not worth bothering with. She then tells me the tale of how another parent had done it but said nothing. So loads of detective work secured her a witness to said little bump. Driver of car approached and agreed to pay for the damage . She then tells me that dent master have said around £150.00 to spray bumper etc. Dont get me wrong the bumper does have a scratch and mark on it. But not that bad. This was on Tuesday she was telling me all this . Other lady going to pay , so she should , look at the damage and other drama. So jump to friday and we are all going out of car park when said mum runs into the back of an 05 fiesta and proper smashes the bumper in. Cant wait for monday to see if fiesta driver is getting some proper prices for spraying and fitting a new bumper. Karma at it's best. 

I parked an old focus in the street , one of the neighbours kids who hadn't been driving long backed into it in the dark , a knock on the door and a sheepish looking kid , I've just backed into your car, is it bad , no but I've scratched the bumper, is the bumper hanging off, no , OK cart on , forget about it

One of the joys of owning an old car is you"re not worried about little marks , this woman sounds like a right cow who got what she deserved

20 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Hmm.  I suppose by American standards that probably is little.  If it was a flat in central London it'd be a fugging penthouse.

It's considered pretty big. That space is about 16'x9', which is half of one of the wings.

The other side is carport and storage.

20191202_171156.thumb.jpg.783287d920f6c27cf4af6f49b9717465.jpg

The square footage it sits on would have most UK housing developers drooling though.

Phil

7 hours ago, Wack said:

What a twat, he could've killed somebody at that speed on the pavement ,I hope the dislocated shoulder was worth it , these videos always end at the best bit

I will re-watch this every time I'm having a shitty day and realise it could have been worse.
The expression on the face of "Quiet Smoke Girl" is fucking priceless.

Video should have been titled "Adrian Mole piggy backing somebody elses tune on Instagram wearing rollerblades gets bitch-slapped by a Prius"

12 hours ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

Is it just me but i do enjoy stumbling upon a LightBulbFun post every few weeks and feeling i have entered another dimension i know nothing about. I still read them and then think "no, no idea! "

A bit like reading Alice in wonderland for the 1st time.

More please.

I used to work with a guy who wanted as much light as possible in his 10 x 20 foot woodshop. So he got what he claimed was a 1000W or 2000W airport landing light and mounted it on the ceiling.  Once he left it on overnight, came out to the shop, and his wooden floor was smoking! Said when it was on the electric meter spun around like it was possessed. Might be just the thing to bake automotive paint on with, though.

3 hours ago, 62 Austin said:

I used to work with a guy who wanted as much light as possible in his 10 x 20 foot woodshop. So he got what he claimed was a 1000W or 2000W airport landing light and mounted it on the ceiling.  Once he left it on overnight, came out to the shop, and his wooden floor was smoking! Said when it was on the electric meter spun around like it was possessed. Might be just the thing to bake automotive paint on with, though.

Back in the 90s I worked with a company that painted parts in a small paint booth , the sprayers complained there wasn't enough light so instead of doing it properly with tubes they put one of those 1000w floodlights up 

Only the first time they used it he turned round to get the next job, couldn't avoid looking at it because it was at head height then couldn't see anything for 10 minutes 

Took my volvo 940 for its mot, they had a new tester who was very thorough, it passed with no advisories and even got a comment on its great condition for a  218,000  mile daily driver.

Ive now had this car for 2 ½  years, it cost £600 and has only needed a major service and a few small repairs even though it just gets abused. I might need to buy some new tyres next year though as the ones that came with it have only got another 5K in them. 

7 hours ago, 62 Austin said:

A friend of ours here in BG fitted 1 of those instant hot water taps into his very flash kitchen

Everytime it was used the whole village would dim down like something from a classic "mad scientist " film

It's not raining this morning so after having breakfast with dad (if you get to harvester 5 minutes before they open everything's very fresh and actually was bloody nice) I had 10 minutes with the zx. 

IMG_20191215_105106.thumb.jpg.d0790a0e97349090ee03b215d857ff5a.jpg

Using a hammer, screwdriver and pliers I opened the holes up a bit as the backbox has those flanged locking tabs on it. Looking at the backbox I'm glad I didn't hammer them any more

IMG_20191215_105129.thumb.jpg.f5eff4ed27bf1598bd0291a0ddb9ff8d.jpg

Its still completely misaligned, should have done the next hole up really 

IMG_20191215_110757.thumb.jpg.18127d6c1fbb5b080f44277fcf31c699.jpg

But, it doesn't sit rammed tight up against the top of the bumper, transmitting ever engine vibration to noise from the back end, it's silent! 

Will do until the weather gets better next year and I decide wether to put a zx centre pipe and backbox on, what it wears now isn't bad, but you'll see the crack forming around the flange for the backbox, and if you shake it the silencer has fallen apart internally and is just full of metal and shit, it rolls around! 

Is more silent inside the cabin now though

I had an Espace with a backbox that had fallen apart inside, it used to whistle at speed.

One day I was late for work and was hurrying somewhat, just keeping up with the flow of traffic of course when the whistling stopped followed by a significant bang that slightly lifted the car up.
I expected to see oily bits bouncing along behind me and an array of warning lights but no, just a throaty exhaust note and a better throttle response.

What was behind me was a brown cloud of what I assumed to be rust and fibreglass that covered all four lanes of the A34.

The centre silencer had burst along its welded seam and was almost entirely empty.
The best cure for tailgating I have ever seen.

10 hours ago, 62 Austin said:

7 hours ago, Wack said:

Back in the 90s I worked with a company that painted parts in a small paint booth , the sprayers complained there wasn't enough light so instead of doing it properly with tubes they put one of those 1000w floodlights up 

Only the first time they used it he turned round to get the next job, couldn't avoid looking at it because it was at head height then couldn't see anything for 10 minutes 

those sound like halogen/incandescent light sources, which is "only" about 22,000-60,000 lumens

what they need is a 2000W Sports stadium metal halide lamp, a whopping 200,000 Lumens! :) tis my brightest light bulb!

osram-2Kw-HQI.jpg

one of these days I really want to stick it out the bedroom window and see just how much of the estate I can light up with it :mrgreen:

for reference your normal 100W light bulb puts out about 1320 lumens....