What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

38 minutes ago, Bobthebeard said:

Having recently tried to half heartedly sell the BRG Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE on here for the simple reason that the MOT had expired, it had not been used at all since the last MOT (stored at home) due to various reasons. (Too many cars, work, etc) Decided I wanted it back on the road, well, Mrs Beard decided she wanted it back as it is the only car EVER that she actually loved driving and owning. Put a new battery in, checked the fluid levels and it started first time, although the exhaust fumes ponged a bit as the pez was over a year old. Passed the MOT with only advisories about greased brake pipes! Result. Glad I didn't sell it now. Been wafting around in it and kicking myself for leaving it so long in storage. These are really lovely things in the right spec and condition. Assuming it doesn't now FTP or shit itself somehow! Pic is a couple of years old but it looks the same, apart from a change of registration number. 

The 75 in general, and the 2.5 V6 in particular, is a massively underrated car.  It's one of those cars people don't seem to "get" until they've owned one.  I'm on my 5th at the moment and no doubt there will be more.

6 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

/\ That second one looked like it hurt.  :shock:

I struggle with the concept that it is funny.  That sort of fall from a bycyle can result in serious head injuries and death. So start at attempted murder.........

5 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

The 75 in general, and the 2.5 V6 in particular, is a massively underrated car.  It's one of those cars people don't seem to "get" until they've owned one.  I'm on my 5th at the moment and no doubt there will be more.

Why 5? What was wrong with the first 4.

5 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Indeed so. However they can tend to be a huge money pit and are very needy. The survival rate of these cars says it all. Personally I love them and my wife, who has zero interest in cars usually, loves this one. It ticks the boxes. 

4 minutes ago, New POD said:

I struggle with the concept that it is funny.  That sort of fall from a bycyle can result in serious head injuries and death. So start at attempted murder.........

Except it really isn't.  It's stealing a bicycle which is locked to a fence with a long padlock, and failing to notice the padlock which is blatantly obvious even in the low-def video.  If anyone suffers serious injuries it's down to their own stupidity (and tealeavishness) rather than anything else.

Soz, appreciate that's not a very "woke" point of view to hold.

2 minutes ago, Bobthebeard said:

Indeed so. However they can tend to be a huge money pit and are very needy. The survival rate of these cars says it all.

I think that's due at least in part to some bits (suspension components in particular) being NLA though - so what would be a relatively minor MOT fail on a car from an extant manufacturer turns into an insurmountable obstacle with a 75.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Except it really isn't.  It's stealing a bicycle which is locked to a fence with a long padlock, and failing to notice the padlock which is blatantly obvious even in the low-def video.  If anyone suffers serious injuries it's down to their own stupidity (and tealeavishness) rather than anything else.

Soz, appreciate that's not a very "woke" point of view to hold.

Woke? 

One of those people was clearly high as a kite. And incapable of rational ethical decision making.  It's kind of like leaving a 20 quid note on the floor and if someone picks it up they get shot in the face.  

6 minutes ago, TataBobu said:

Really? If I use a long rope to tie my bicycle to a fence I'm attempting murder on the wanna-be thief?

And film them, smashing thier head into a concrete slab? Sounds like a snuff movie director in the making. 

Just met a really nice, pretty lady. Very yum indeed. While talking to her I thought she was from London or points south but after a while, I realised she was deaf! Once I realised she was lip reading I made a point (surreptiously) to look at her when speaking and we had a great chat. Apart from the lad she was with, possibly her son, about in his late teens and with some fairly major affliction. He kept coming over to me and tickling me HARD on the stomach, hard enough to push me over in fact. She also has two cute dogs. If I can separate her from the son/lad for ten minutes I may get somewhere.

Isn't it both odd and very telling that I am MASSIVELY interested in her and probably because she is 'flawed' so less likely to have undue expectations of a fellow flawed person. I was happy, now pissed myself off with the realisation of my own shallowness :( 

Bike thieves deserve whatever serious head injuries they get. WGAF.

My grin today: receiving a suspicious hand-written envelope with a welsh postmark, and immediately dreading the inevitable mardy letter from my ex. Only to open it and discover my shiny new Hubnut stickers, which I only ordered on Monday. ?

I like a bit of karma being issued and have Seen a good few of those bait bike videos. 

I thought some of them looked a bit too obvious tho, and it appears it's not unheard of for some people paying homeless people to "perform" as the theif for a few hundred dollars.  Same can be said for some of these animal miracle rescue videos when a puppy or cat is in a horrible situation or collapsed just happens to be found by a few people with a camera. Due to the popularity of these videos getting millions of views, it has raised concern of animals being drugged and put in these positions to be "saved" from.

Sadly where there's money to be made there's always going to be few arseholes. 

16 hours ago, Andyrew said:

I like a bit of karma being issued and have Seen a good few of those bait bike videos. 

I thought some of them looked a bit too obvious tho, and it appears it's not unheard of for some people paying homeless people to "perform" as the theif for a few hundred dollars.  Same can be said for some of these animal miracle rescue videos when a puppy or cat is in a horrible situation or collapsed just happens to be found by a few people with a camera. Due to the popularity of these videos getting millions of views, it has raised concern of animals being drugged and put in these positions to be "saved" from.

Sadly where there's money to be made there's always going to be few arseholes. 

They do look a bit fake tbh... although the electrified bike ones are quite funny...

16 minutes ago, willswitchengage said:

Was there some sort of flame war in the Bristol to ban diesels thread? I got a 'like' for a post there, and the thread appears to have gone.

Not surprised if so.

Not gone, just only visible to those brave/stupid enough to ask for access to the politics bit.

Screenshot_20191107-113640.png