What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

4 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Just saw in a Lighting facebook group im part of

that the tate modern has this art installation! (edit it looks like the name of the exhibition is "room for one colour")

image.thumb.png.cd6ffee4a3fec1306fb998d75da6f628.png

litreally just a shit load of 91W SOX-E lamps hanging on wires! id love to know the details behind it, especially as sadly most people have been brainwashed somewhat into thinking anything not LED is bad, so im surprised to see such a modern Low pressure sodium installation  (note these are not my pictures just ones I borrowed off the facebook page!)

image.thumb.png.e204750beec94a7cfc921f133e1ab6c1.png

must be an Awesome sight to behold in person, especially when they all started up red and slowly warmed up :) 

(cc @Zelandeth  :)

Reminds me of going through the Mersey tunnel as a child.

On 10/18/2019 at 5:52 PM, SiC said:

First Bristol is short of buses. Something to do with Wright Buses going broke. As there is a shortage of buses they have reinstated some of their older buses that were left parked up when newer ones came in. Unfortunately they haven't been that reliable coming back into service. They're a bit shonky!

This evening my transport is this lovely old thing. Delayed going out as it appears they were topping up the coolant! default_biggrin.png

Genuinely a lot smoother and quieter ride than their 2015+ buses we usually get around here. I guess because these are running slush autos rather than automated manuals? Interior seems brighter and more light in too. Bus lickers on here no doubt know all the differences.

Interior is like going back in time! In surprisingly good condition considering how much uses these things have had. Seats could do with new foam though.

Oh and the front display is a proper flip dot board.

Jeez - that makes me feel old. I remember when those buses were introduced. Replaced the seriously ageing fleet.

Last night I had a fairly long and detailed dream, part of which involved me visiting WHSmith and discovering that my Yaris roffle number had in fact been drawn, but not as the bonus ball. I then moodily wandered over to the magazine racks and picked up 'X1 Magazine', the publication for owners of BMW SUVs (yes, that's a thing in my subconscious) to find that Auto$hite.com had topped their annual awards for best website. They had a 4-page feature extolling our virtues, including a "best quotes" section, and a list of euphemisms that we had invented for human genitalia. I was giggling like a nutter in my dream, but can't actually recall any of them due to the fact that actual reading in dreams doesn't work.

As you were...

On 10/19/2019 at 12:27 PM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Not Ireland's year this year. Didn't start well by underestimating the Japanese....

Have we ever done well in a WC.  We've form of fluffing it up and then shining two years later in the Six Nations.

I know we were optimistically ranked in the world rankings but I thought we'd put up a better fight than that.   I dunno if it's Joe Schmidt's time tbh; his game is becoming a bit predictable.

Finally took my dream car out just before the snow settles in. 

It’s been quite a few years of horse trading, parts swapping, overtime, wrenching and saving, but finally, thanks to a lucky break, I have a running 911. 

I was grinning so widely, I’m surprised the cops didn’t stop me as being insane or the Joker!

A0445CDC-777F-4A6D-AE5E-57F1674BAE38.thumb.jpeg.544a091e5fcc2218f845bf07bd6c37d7.jpeg

The 914 race car got swapped in against this and my project 911 sold to make up some of the funds. 

Still needs quite some love, but it’s driving and (mostly) road worthy! I’m just so damn freaking lucky and now have winter to get her all fixed up. ?

13 minutes ago, Roobarb said:

Finally took my dream car out just before the snow settles in. 

It’s been quite a few years of horse trading, parts swapping, overtime, wrenching and saving, but finally, thanks to a lucky break, I have a running 911. 

I was grinning so widely, I’m surprised the cops didn’t stop me as being insane or the Joker!

A0445CDC-777F-4A6D-AE5E-57F1674BAE38.thumb.jpeg.544a091e5fcc2218f845bf07bd6c37d7.jpeg

The 914 race car got swapped in against this and my project 911 sold to make up some of the funds. 

Still needs quite some love, but it’s driving and (mostly) road worthy! I’m just so damn freaking lucky and now have winter to get her all fixed up. ?

very cool that you got your dream car after lots of hard work and effort!

I very much know the feeling! :) 

and they both have rear mounted Air cooled boxer engines :mrgreen:

I was sat quietly watching the box when I was disturbed by a mad dog barking at something in the corner by the fridge, then mad running around still barking and then scrabbling at the door to be let out. As I am well trained, I let him out and then watched bemused as he sat the other side of the door barking at the inside of our gaff.

I must admit I had a bit of a moment thinling there was a mouse or something as I have a habit of falling asleep with the front door wide open and only shutting it about 7:00 a.m. before the postie comes (he freaks out when mad dogs thunder up to say 'Watcha cock!') so anything could take up residence...

The big brave dog was scared because there was a buzzy fly, dopey because cold and it was buzzing by the side of the fridge. I hit it with 'Raid!'tm which killed it stone dead but the dog took some persauding before he would come back in! Jumbone did the trick! :) 

On 10/19/2019 at 8:32 PM, LightBulbFun said:

Just saw in a Lighting facebook group im part of

that the tate modern has this art installation! (edit it looks like the name of the exhibition is "room for one colour")

image.thumb.png.cd6ffee4a3fec1306fb998d75da6f628.png

litreally just a shit load of 91W SOX-E lamps hanging on wires! id love to know the details behind it, especially as sadly most people have been brainwashed somewhat into thinking anything not LED is bad, so im surprised to see such a modern Low pressure sodium installation  (note these are not my pictures just ones I borrowed off the facebook page!)

image.thumb.png.e204750beec94a7cfc921f133e1ab6c1.png

must be an Awesome sight to behold in person, especially when they all started up red and slowly warmed up :) 

(cc @Zelandeth  :)

Were you aware of the weather project there?

Olafur-Eliasson-The-Weather-Project-Tate

This will probably only be relevant to the Scotlanders on here but I found a compilation of old TV ads on YouTube and I have cut it up and uploaded my favourites to my own channel. Sheer awesomeness...

On 10/18/2019 at 1:20 PM, vulgalour said:

In our local Tesco there's a little table full of books with an honesty pot, set out by a local charity.  I recently snagged myself a copy of Blott on the Landscape there.  Today, I had to do a double-take when I saw an early eighties tabletop roleplay rulebook sat amongst the Danielle Steele and self-help books.  Put a smart donation in the pot for this one, probably the best thing I've ever found in Tesco.

IMAG3358.thumb.jpg.a71d9db1da602cd78d632c7405d60b94.jpg

IMAG3359.thumb.jpg.e51da01ce9a3d4116af7f0c86e9373ab.jpg

The artwork in it is great and while I'm unlikely to ever find a group to play this with and it's only the book, it's still a very nice thing to have.

That's a nice find. I used to have the 3rd edition Runequest version of the game that GW published in the UK. Never did much with it though.

Just got a 600 euro (538 quid) compensation payment for a delayed flight.  Looked on moneysavingexpert and used the recommended Resolver website to claim.  Five minutes to fill the form in once I found the flight details and a week later they replied asking for my bank details to make the payment.

Highly recommended.

True story from today- A few colleagues at work were talking about X factor and asked if I could sing as they know I am in a band, I said I couldn’t but could do an Elvis impression. One said go on then, so I got a bit of soil from a plant pot and sprinkled it in my hand, two of them saw the funny side, one is obviously a fan of Elvis judging by the look of horror and disgust I got.