What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 10/14/2019 at 11:07 PM, SiC said:

Saw this in Lacock yesterday
6840eb3aa7d65386d9b880f65d3e935a.jpg

Best bit is that it's obviously someone's work vehicle
675ae21e7ec2248c5fcf4f2ed236da0a.jpg

As a big contrast, in Bristol this morning I saw this ingenious repair.
745595f054eebeedc03bdd5413ef1b90.jpg

Also sads that these caravans are someone main home. Homelessness is rife in Bristol and just hidden below the surface. Not only those living on the streets but those sofa surfing and living in old caravans/vans.

Somewhere on these pages is a photo of that Landrover, taken by me in 2013. Parked in what is obviously it's private spot where no-one else dares to stop. Will see if I can find it.

, I seem to remember a Disco was behind it then.

Just had a car in for mot that was driven from Idaho to New York via Maryland then on a contain ship to Liverpool.  I won't give the full details as it should be at the restoration show next month.

Anyway the guys driving across the states did mention a suspension knock but put it down to being an old car that had been laid up. There is a safety inspection sticker from Maryland where there was no mention of the headlight loosely held on with one cable tie or what I am about to tell. The guys also seemed amused by how strict our safety inspections are.

Turns out the offside macpherson  strut had dropped down the hub and rubbed a groove in the driveshaft and a hole in the bottom of the strut loosing all it's fluid.

Somebody's husband isn't going to be happy

Just walking out of Asda when I heard the sound of crumpling metal, saw a woman reversing off a post put there to protect pedestrians, turned the corner far too soon 

It's a tough post, made a bit of a dent, she got out started shouting at the kids then went shopping 

20191017_192120.jpg

In our local Tesco there's a little table full of books with an honesty pot, set out by a local charity.  I recently snagged myself a copy of Blott on the Landscape there.  Today, I had to do a double-take when I saw an early eighties tabletop roleplay rulebook sat amongst the Danielle Steele and self-help books.  Put a smart donation in the pot for this one, probably the best thing I've ever found in Tesco.

IMAG3358.thumb.jpg.a71d9db1da602cd78d632c7405d60b94.jpg

IMAG3359.thumb.jpg.e51da01ce9a3d4116af7f0c86e9373ab.jpg

The artwork in it is great and while I'm unlikely to ever find a group to play this with and it's only the book, it's still a very nice thing to have.

@vulgalour very kindly sent me a book full of dreadful (but nonetheless GR8) cartoon jokes the other day. Cheered me up no end, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you.

First Bristol is short of buses. Something to do with Wright Buses going broke. As there is a shortage of buses they have reinstated some of their older buses that were left parked up when newer ones came in. Unfortunately they haven't been that reliable coming back into service. They're a bit shonky!

This evening my transport is this lovely old thing. Delayed going out as it appears they were topping up the coolant! default_biggrin.png

607186392f6a6146744e1efe1cc7ccca.jpg

Genuinely a lot smoother and quieter ride than their 2015+ buses we usually get around here. I guess because these are running slush autos rather than automated manuals? Interior seems brighter and more light in too. Bus lickers on here no doubt know all the differences.

Interior is like going back in time! In surprisingly good condition considering how much uses these things have had. Seats could do with new foam though.

e3da2a437e47aafd15433613690132c7.jpg

3c137308cf87bdbf8483069265f243c5.jpg

Oh and the front display is a proper flip dot board.

an ALX400!, im not sure which chassis that one is on, im sure the more seasoned lickers can tell (I focus on London buses primarily!)

pretty much the only Modern Low floor bus I want to own someday (a London stagecoach, Trident chassied one please!)

I have many fond memories of these as the 3 most local routes to me (26 48 and 55) used these buses for a very long time

makes me feel mighty old when you say "Lovely old thing" LOL

you can read about the London stagecoach ones here :) http://www.countrybus.org/TA_Stagecoach/TA_1.htm

(again made me feel very old when I saw that Ians bus stop had done a page on them!)

Got a reasonably epic holiday coming up in just under a month. 

London to Paris to Turin in one day...all trains booked and hotel in Turin near the car museum and gigantic mall (former Fiat factory as featured in the Italian job) reserved. Train down to Bari for three nights there, then train down to Lecce for three nights. Train back up to Bologna for one night, then maybe Turin again, and then back to Paris for one night and then Eurostar back home again. 

As I work for a TOC, we can get free travel coupons for European travel, with the only cost being a seat reservation supplement on the train. 

9 nights of hotels booked so far, coming in at approx £35 per person per night...and these aren't dive hotels either. Quite pleased with that. 

Just saw in a Lighting facebook group im part of

that the tate modern has this art installation! (edit it looks like the name of the exhibition is "room for one colour")

image.thumb.png.cd6ffee4a3fec1306fb998d75da6f628.png

litreally just a shit load of 91W SOX-E lamps hanging on wires! id love to know the details behind it, especially as sadly most people have been brainwashed somewhat into thinking anything not LED is bad, so im surprised to see such a modern Low pressure sodium installation  (note these are not my pictures just ones I borrowed off the facebook page!)

image.thumb.png.e204750beec94a7cfc921f133e1ab6c1.png

must be an Awesome sight to behold in person, especially when they all started up red and slowly warmed up :) 

(cc @Zelandeth  :)

Skipped the toll at kinnegad and went down the old road 

Saw these at side of road and will be going to moy  valley tomorrow

Asked a coupla questions and then followed them for coupla miles then carried on

If I'd stayed on the toll is have missed them

Free wins the red one is a Star didn't see the other one ( he was waiting for) until they pulled off in front of me

More old tat tomorrow

IMG_20191019_170525.jpg

IMG_20191019_170318.jpg