What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Decided to do a quick oil and filter swap on my old Avensis yesterday evening but i couldn't undo the shit bustin' tight filter housing.

20190927_143102.thumb.jpg.63624b8e998d2a59370414700de19dc7.jpg

So a rumage around the shed resulted in me finding a length of rusty 6mm plate and a Subaru hub nut which was roughly fashioned into a redneck style removal tool.

20190927_154350.thumb.jpg.b3798f20591e2647507dcd94e0084666.jpg

It still needed a long breaker bar on the end of it to shift the bugger.

Today the unstoppable Focus returned to having brakes, passed an MOT and most importantly is off my feckin drive!

My son has been pottering about in the 414 and complained the Focus was lacking torque now it is fixed.

I replied "Try changing up TWO gears, this has bugger all at 4,500 revs"

On 9/29/2019 at 11:04 AM, Lord Sterling said:

Another thing about the IoW is the bus stops. There many of them including loads out in the sticks. Some of the ones out in the sticks have such steep verges where you couldn't stand for any amount of time. Pictures below only illustrate the ones I was able to get which aren't steep:

20190928_131401.thumb.jpg.7b81dcd87a04240cdae684e03699b607.jpg

20190928_131423.thumb.jpg.90bbcde0948fcd200aa0d51d440be700.jpg

Another thing. Being a small island, no matter what time of the day you drive, there will almost always be someone following you. Not in a Detective/suspicous bullshit, just that 99% of the time someone always wants to go almost exactly the same way as you which can be annoying when you want to sightsee or potter about.

Another thing, there seems to be a large concentration of Zafira As:

20190928_174600.thumb.jpg.ed58cfd057b927d6d34e16946c4e68fd.jpg

Never seen so many in one place. Mind you, go to Telford and every second car is a Vectra C so I suppose various areas have thier favourites.

I also spotted this:

20190928_155159.thumb.jpg.ccb5163bf494f6a35bf7266a615d8467.jpg

A book about the registration letters on various vehicles through the years 'DL' . Which is why even private regs have 'DL' in them for proud island dwellers. Wantes to buy the book but £20 for it seemed a little pricey to me.

Thanks Lord Sterling love hearing about the Island. Im an Islander born and bred ' caulkhead' and proud. Makes me homesick seeing these. I am aiming to move back as soon as I can. Thanks again

Things have been not so great recently with our mothers being ill, the woman's mother particularly.

My mum has multiple myeloma, and her mum has liver cancer.

I had a thought tonight that made us both smile.

Her step dad is staying in the hospital with her mum tonight.

He smokes like 14 chimney stacks.

I said "will Dave be like Chandler (from friends) smoking at work?

Will I be getting a phone call at 2am telling me he'd swallowed a load of air freshener?"

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Had to pick up a USB-C to female USB adaptor a couple of weeks ago to allow setup of a dashcam (which was done within the space of about 30 seconds).

Had a moment of realisation yesterday evening that this would then in theory allow me to plug other USB stuff into my tablet...

IMG_20191002_115718.thumb.jpg.a87e0c4a19692d3c691474836386d511.jpg

Yes!  Can actually use a bloody mouse with it now!

Granted...I think the current version of my ancient trackball is Bluetooth based anyway which would get around that issue entirely...but that would involve buying new hardware.

Will hopefully make some jobs a bit simpler as I despise touchscreen interfaces.  Sadly won't do anything about the issues with this forum editor on mobile...so will have to still try to do image heavy stuff from my desktop.  The one time a year I actually get the opportunity to use it anyway.

3 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

What's that thudding noi-BETTER KEEP REVERSING 

It’s actually frightening - they seem so completely unaware that I doubt they’re fit to drive.  Not to be all “omg think of the children” but it’s a busy pedestrian thoroughfare (doesn’t look it at 9.30am admittedly) and it could quite easily not have been a cone they hit. 

53 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Had to pick up a USB-C to female USB adaptor a couple of weeks ago to allow setup of a dashcam (which was done within the space of about 30 seconds).

Had a moment of realisation yesterday evening that this would then in theory allow me to plug other USB stuff into my tablet...

IMG_20191002_115718.thumb.jpg.a87e0c4a19692d3c691474836386d511.jpg

Yes!  Can actually use a bloody mouse with it now!

Granted...I think the current version of my ancient trackball is Bluetooth based anyway which would get around that issue entirely...but that would involve buying new hardware.

Will hopefully make some jobs a bit simpler as I despise touchscreen interfaces.  Sadly won't do anything about the issues with this forum editor on mobile...so will have to still try to do image heavy stuff from my desktop.  The one time a year I actually get the opportunity to use it anyway.

hah cool :) have you tried requesting the Desktop site? I found that helped with a couple issues I had when I browse the forum on my iPad

but sadly even on a desktop computer with a desktop web browser the editor is still utter wank sadly :( 

as a side note I used a USB OTG cable to plug a mouse into a couple broken Android phones I was given a few year ago, and played with them that way :) 

(broken in that cracked digitisers so the touch aspect was FUBAR, but they worked fine with a mouse and keyboard plugged in otherwise)

I managed to get both loaded up with Cyanogenmod that way LOL