What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

9 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Interesting. You were able to decide this on a single encounter?

He always sounds a bit tetchy on Radio 4's Just A Minute, but seems good value for money entertainment.

Still,  they say you never really know people.....

Yes, If you are interested enough I could give you the details, but basically he was a smarmy bastard one minute in ways that made my skin crawl and then vicious to someone else when he though no one was listening. That’s a very compacted version, but my opinion stands, and it is only my opinion obviously, others may think he’s Mary fucking popping, each to their own and all that.

3 hours ago, High Jetter said:

The grin? Car hire is £45 for the WEEK. Only a VW Up (other tiny cars with silly names may be available) but who cares. Or....have I made a massive boob?

Nope, that is exactly the way to go but there is a twist!.

When you get off the plane, take your time grabbing the luggage, go for a dump, grab a coffee and saunter to the rental desk when the queue has thinned or vanished.
If your luck is in all the bargain bobbins will have been shifted to those in a hurry and you get a free upgrade.

I got a nearly new something (Might have been a renault) that was a couple of classes up from the two door Corsa I had booked in advance.
Booted it out of Malaga airport and noted I had 150km recorded distance and 160Kmh indicated speed, I was probably the first customer in that vehicle.

Worked almost every time in Lanzarote too, the package deal punters are in a hurry for their all inclusive warm beer and Sangria flavoured squash and rush up to get their wheels first.

Getting an indicated 63 mpg average on a recent late night 150 mile journey from Scotland downwards on a deserted M6 in the 'new' Honda Accord 2.2 diesel estate. It could be lying of course, but the fuel gauge didn't move much. Cruise control set at 60, Abba CD playing and no traffic.......
Mmmmmmm. 
Be less going the other way as it's uphill.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Rovorsche said:

Nope, that is exactly the way to go but there is a twist!.

When you get off the plane, take your time grabbing the luggage, go for a dump, grab a coffee and saunter to the rental desk when the queue has thinned or vanished.
If your luck is in all the bargain bobbins will have been shifted to those in a hurry and you get a free upgrade.

I learned that from an Arthur Hailey book I read (Airport?) years ago - must have been in my teens. I've got upgraded on several occasions, on others I got what I'd booked (maybe I wasn't slow enough or everyone else was doing it better than me!) and it back-fired once as they'd over-booked and didn't have anything left and I had to wait another hour while they found something!

How times have changed. Halfway up I'd have to have set the timing back a few degrees and tweaked the mixture screws.

It's amazing how well modern vehicles go up to 6000-odd feet without even flinching. Impalas are comfy cars, had one for a number of years.

--Phil

31 minutes ago, PhilA said:

How times have changed. Halfway up I'd have to have set the timing back a few degrees and tweaked the mixture screws.

It's amazing how well modern vehicles go up to 6000-odd feet without even flinching. Impalas are comfy cars, had one for a number of years.

--Phil

Going up the Tioga Pass 3 years ago, in a rental Mustang V6 we hit 10000ft with no real world noticeable loss in performance. Earlier in the day we had left Death Valley at -282 feet and 49c. Zero change in fuel (same tank full) and roof down the whole way with air conditioning on.

Quite cool really. 

19 minutes ago, hairnet said:

Prolly worth coin just sat there

MK1 focus further up in a similar state

IMG_20190919_092249.jpg

Less than you may think. Particularly in base spec trim/engine missing all the expensive shiny bits

Probably pick that up for about what I paid for the Chief