What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Not sure if this is a 'grin' as such but it sure ain't news...

A while ago at the park they very carefully cleared the hedges (where Phoebe used to lay and destroy the thicket/bracken/thorn bushes) and then planted saplings complete with sticks and ties to support them. Anyhoo, today was a 'Phoebe' day (when she goes out and gets to choose where we go) and so we went to this park we hadn't been to for a while as we don't go in the summer as it's infested with brats and other small humans and is therefore, horrible. Phoebe wandered off and Chester was being his usual pain in the arse and going in a seperate direction and by the time Chester and I had caught up with Phoebe, she had not only destroyed a sapling, she'd destroyed the thick wooden stake that had previously supported the (now none existent) sapling!

I very carefully ignored her and any evidence there may have been!

A drive in an Rover made me grin, if it passes its mot I will grin on the way home.

Haven't driven an R8 since about 2001, how easy it is to forget what they are like.

Either the steering wheel isn't straight or it isn't round and to match the keep fit windows it is also the keep fit variety of influencing the vague direction of travel.

Also non ABS for the brake test!

squeal, Slide and SMOKE baby

Still has a faint whiff of new to it though, the radio isn't bad and it's in Tarts Handbag Red.

I have been invited to dig through some BX spares in storage that needs clearing.  Don't know exactly what's available but there's hope of a driver's door glass and a good bonnet, I came away with a mudflap and an exhaust hanger today since those were to hand.  Anyone need anything BX-y?  I'll see if he's got stuff.  There's apparently a full GTi interior too.

I got home this afternoon (well, there's a surprise!) and in an effort to stay busy (and not then eat early and then fall asleep) I decided to wax the car. Then after I read what I just typed, I changed my mind and decided to POLISH the fucker instead! While polishing away with Autoglym I noticed that the rear drivers side mudflap was hanging on by a fred.  This is therefore a 'Grin' as a few more miles and I would be deficient in the mudflap department to the tune of one mudflap, and as they are genuine Mercedes and have SLK discreetly placed upon them, this loss would probably have cost several small fortunes to replace.

Getting the clamps off was a bit of a chore until I resorted to gross brutality (I'm really good at that) and used a screwdriver to lever them off (always use the correct tool for the job kiddies :) )  Once off, a squirt of WD40 and holding them in a pair of molegrips while applying copious quatities of torque via the medium of a 10 mm spanner (Halfords 'Professional' ratchet) soon had them working back as someone once intended. In fact, after an application of care in the community they could be done up/undone with nothing more than finger pressure.

The reason they had come undone was someone had fitted them wrongly - there is none of this 'metal to metal' crap going on, there are little tangs built into the flap that fits into a groove in the plastic wheelarch, rubber of course and the tang/flap/whatever was inside the mudflap. Quite how this had happened now I have no idea, just lucky I guess. Anyway, with the wheel still on, room to swing a spanner (even a Halfords 'professional' ratchet spanner) was severely limited and so, in a blinding flash of inspiration, I remembered that I have/had the most beautiful 'Teng' socket set. Really small (but lovely like a Flieschmann 'N' gauge loco - sorry about the spelling) and so I went in search. Wonder of wonders, it is still where I put it about 8 years ago.

So a double grin: I still have a Mercedes Benz SLK rear mudflap and I got to play with my beautiful Teng socket set (size small as fook, like an 'N' gauge....)

Oh yeah, I lovingly polished my 'Teng' socket set (size small) and I just hope no bugger saw me or they may think I'm a sad old bastard....

52 minutes ago, xtriple said:

Oh yeah, I lovingly polished my 'Teng' socket set (size small) and I just hope no bugger saw me or they may think I'm a sad old bastard....

Bought my son a Teng torque wrench one of those tiny socket sets, ruinously expensive but better quality that the Bahco ones I have.

3 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Sold this today. £300 of the payment was in pound coins. WTF!

382327376_2019-08-2811_51_00.thumb.jpg.6cbd45ee0d25a8d256a31478be134678.jpg

Now this is my only vehicle:

1432777089_2019-08-0307_52_59.thumb.jpg.51ac5e4b583e052d5c6265dbecca34e6.jpg

I don't know why it pleases me so much, but it does. I can throw some of the money from the sale of the other van into constantly refueling the thirsty bastard giving this one some loving

My pessimist nature wonders if the £1 coins were genuine or fake?

The DVLA. I know, I know. But hear me out.

Following the demise of my beloved Saab in Germany, I instructed the breakdown people to have it scrapped. However this left the question of what I tell the DVLA. I decided that the best thing to do was to phone them, explain the situation and ask what they wanted me to do. I called up, spoke to a very helpful person having been on hold for all of 90 seconds. I explained the situation and asked if I should mark it as scrapped on the V5c, but would not be able to product a CoD, or mark it as permanently exported.

She was slightly perplexed, and asked if she could go away and find out. within 30 seconds she'd come back and said that the best thing to do was send them the V5c and a covering letter and they'd sort it out, confirm I was no longer the registered keeper and refund me the VED.

Letter typed up and it'll all go in the post tomorrow. I was very impressed as this is definitely an 'edge case' when it comes to DVLA helpdesk.

4 hours ago, vulgalour said:

I have been invited to dig through some BX spares in storage that needs clearing.  Don't know exactly what's available but there's hope of a driver's door glass and a good bonnet, I came away with a mudflap and an exhaust hanger today since those were to hand.  Anyone need anything BX-y?  I'll see if he's got stuff.  There's apparently a full GTi interior too.

What colour is the GTi interior? I can get a picture of mine when it gets light but it's the blue/black diagonal striped affair. My drivers seat cover is starting to fall to bits...

22 minutes ago, Stanky said:

The DVLA. I know, I know. But hear me out.

Following the demise of my beloved Saab in Germany, I instructed the breakdown people to have it scrapped. However this left the question of what I tell the DVLA. I decided that the best thing to do was to phone them, explain the situation and ask what they wanted me to do. I called up, spoke to a very helpful person having been on hold for all of 90 seconds. I explained the situation and asked if I should mark it as scrapped on the V5c, but would not be able to product a CoD, or mark it as permanently exported.

She was slightly perplexed, and asked if she could go away and find out. within 30 seconds she'd come back and said that the best thing to do was send them the V5c and a covering letter and they'd sort it out, confirm I was no longer the registered keeper and refund me the VED.

Letter typed up and it'll all go in the post tomorrow. I was very impressed as this is definitely an 'edge case' when it comes to DVLA helpdesk.

Breakdown cover is insurance. If they are scrapping and dealing with it, then surely that means they have taken ownership of the car. Hence that would make it the breakdown company problem?

3 minutes ago, SiC said:

Breakdown cover is insurance. If they are scrapping and dealing with it, then surely that means they have taken ownership of the car. Hence that would make it the breakdown company problem?

not entirely sure TBH, they've returned the V5 to me unaltered and since my VED refund is riding on it I'd rather take action myself then leave it to a drone at the breakdown company to sort when they feel like it.

22 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

What colour is the GTi interior? I can get a picture of mine when it gets light but it's the blue/black diagonal striped affair. My drivers seat cover is starting to fall to bits...

He didn't say, I'll be sure to get pictures of anything I find that may be of use to folks.  I'm happy to be an intermediary to get parts out to folks if his prices are agreeable.

that moment , when you are tootling down the M57 in the middle lane because the traffic is filtering on from the left , you get that one guy, despite joining the motorway , who has to overtake the guy in front entering the inside lane , cutting in front of myself and I have to move out to the outside lane to give him space , which exposes the cop car sat behind me , who then lets me move in and then goes to tail him and give him a long hard stare for a few miles ....... 1f642.png