What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

7 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

It looked really good until I saw the price £30k, almost exactly double the none electric one. Given electric motors are simple compared to IC engines I would expect that aspect to be cheaper, so how does a motor controller and battery cost £15k? It’s ridiculous. At around £15k they would sell shed loads, at £30k..............

Batteries is what causes them to be expensive. Give it a few more years and mass production will reduce costs. There is apparently already a glut of lithium on the commodities market.  

11 minutes ago, SiC said:

Batteries is what causes them to be expensive. Give it a few more years and mass production will reduce costs. There is apparently already a glut of lithium on the commodities market.  

Not £15k more expensive though. Even when I was building and racing electric cars a battery pack of greater than the output the Vauxhall claims to have was only £8k retail, that was 7 years ago. I think it’s profiteering personally.

23 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Don't electric Renaults come without the batteries?

Yup, and it's a right old pain in the hoop slotting over a thousand AAAs into your Zoe every morning...

Seriously though, I believe it's a rental scheme or some such that Renault offer for batteries (a colleague has a Zoe).

Better than ownership, and thus having to stump up ££££ when the battery finally lets go, just to keep your now six or seven year old car functional?

And as I seem to recall, some French motorway services have the ability to swap battery packs over on an exchange basis, allowing a low battery to be exchanged for a full one so you can be on your way in a matter of minutes - rather than having to hook it up for an hour or what-have-you.

5 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Yup, and it's a right old pain in the hoop slotting over a thousand AAAs into your Zoe every morning...

Seriously though, I believe it's a rental scheme or some such that Renault offer for batteries (a colleague has a Zoe).

Better than ownership, and thus having to stump up ££££ when the battery finally lets go, just to keep your now six or seven year old car functional?

And as I seem to recall, some French motorway services have the ability to swap battery packs over on an exchange basis, allowing a low battery to be exchanged for a full one so you can be on your way in a matter of minutes - rather than having to hook it up for an hour or what-have-you.

We looked at them and 400 miles a month seemed to be the crossover point where they just starting making financial sense, below that the rental is a killer unless it’s changed a lot in the last couple of years.

Shifted my washing machine and tumble dryer.

Inlet hose for washer was a bit too short for it to fit right back to the wall.

Ordered a longer one, 2.5M, delivered today.

Packed with it was a double ended male extender (no not one of those)! Connects two hoses together.

I thought that If I had know, I would just have bought one of those as I have half a dozen hoses here.

New hose was still slightly short so made use of the connector.

Went to find some clips to attach the hoses to the skirting,  Saw them last week but god knows where.  I did however find a hose connector I wasn't aware I had,

Sods law in operation still.

Spotted a bright red mk1 Mr Two on my way back from errands today, and a fantastic scruffy flat-front Mini the day before.  Typically, the good stuff I'm seeing is never when I have a camera to hand but it's good to see the older stuff still out and about after what has felt like a very long spell of barely seeing anything older than about 15 years of age on the roads for much of the year.

I fixed the saab - no(t much) swearing, no injuries, no parts lost in the engine bay never to be seen again, no rusty bolts, just a (relatively) straightforward swap of a crank position sensor had my 9-5 fire up first time after being immobile for a week

I think that calls for a beer or two :)

EARLY REGISTRATION MADNESS.

I knew that Ford launched the Mondeo in March ‘93 and that about 2000-ish cars had been produced before they went officially on sale (including my dad’s old one), but I have never seen a pre-build one until just now.

Registered 18.12.92 but untaxed as of 24.2.93. An incredibly short life for this one.

4A2B1DB2-F5C0-45F7-8674-5C22B62653AA.jpeg