What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

39 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

This is Norman

IMG_20190730_211017078.thumb.jpg.0389dfe8cef9abeb30c9bb2885e446aa.jpg

He or possibly she is the only survivor of a nest falling off a customers wall in last weeks storms.  Hopefully it can fly away in a few weeks with the wild ones.  I hope it will take to eating insects as it is mostly eating mince at the moment.

Maybe you should train it to try linguine.

2 hours ago, Joey spud said:

FB_IMG_1563899064548.thumb.jpg.b7741898b8c86ba2b83b2f7800167536.jpg

fuckity fuck fuck...

I bet that was a spit their tea out moment as he went past 

I saw a transit car transporter with a vauxhall Movano van on it on the M62 at oldham heading straight for the weighbridge , but they weren't there 

If it was empty as delivered new I'd think he was 700kg overloaded 

I've just found out that my best mate has got a pair of tickets to see the Pixies (we're both fans) which he'd bought ages ago and forgotten about! It works out really well for timing too, as although he's 200 miles away, it's the day before (and on the way to) another friend's 40th party near Brighton. A road trip, friends, a gig and a party - sounds like a  most excellent weekend coming up :-)

3 hours ago, Wack said:

I bet that was a spit their tea out moment as he went past 

I saw a transit car transporter with a vauxhall Movano van on it on the M62 at oldham heading straight for the weighbridge , but they weren't there 

If it was empty as delivered new I'd think he was 700kg overloaded 

I saw a bloody dropside/tipper Transit with a MWB Transit hanging out the back of it yesterday.  Wish I had a photo. 

Is Hairnet finally in prison for crimes

9 hours ago, hairnet said:

@chaseracer

Dave look towels :D

its cheap it's clean no need for fancy

must show the hire ?

Are you finally in prison for crimes against the English language? ?

14 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

And fuckin' expensive.

Someone I know well had his four-year-old in prep school. Prior to their meeting his other half  had bought a ex-local authority house on the edge of what used to be Europe's largest housing estate. Negative equity meant that they were in no position to move at that point in time so little Jonny - with his floppy hair do, shorts, blazer, knee high socks and school cap - looked quite a sight on the way to and from school compared with the other kids in the area.

I posted this on another forum as a reply to folk talking about Barry Sheene, seemed to go down well, so here it is again;

Barry & I go back years.

There was the time I was driving home along the old A6 dual carriageway in my Cavalier 2, a pair of headlights loomed up in my mirror and obviously being a bit of a young twunt, I booted it & kept this motor car behind me until the roundabout, whereupon I dropped it down a cog & booted it once more. Sadly for me, the Toyota Supra behind, dropped it two cogs and with twice the cubic capacity left me completely for dead. I was a little embarass when the number plate read BS 7.
And in a further heartwarming tale of days gone by, when Barry used to race or do whatever he did at Donington Park, he always used to stay at the Donington Manor Hotel, he was often to be found behind the bar serving a few pints & chatting with the locals.
Although I suspect he recognised me as the nob in the Vauxhall.

you know when you have a wacky idea and you think it through and in theory it should work?

so you test it in real life and it works but your still amazed that it does and left grinning like a mad man?

I just had one of those :) 

basically I recently got a new toy I mean tool in the form of a current clamp meter, this lets me measure the current flowing through a wire without having to splice into the circuit, all I have to do is clamp it round the wire in question

as shown here measuring the current that a 18W SL lamp draws, 0.152A in this case (aka 152 milliamps)

image.thumb.png.d60e1752eb2606d1a602b1c448b4a9d4.png

now clamp meters work because, anything conducting an electric current produces a magnetic field around itself, if you can detect and measure that field then you can tell how much current is flowing through something which is what a clamp meter does

this got me wondering, the electric discharge/arc in a fluorescent tube IS a conductor and DOES produce a magnetic field as a result of that, so I wondered if I clamp the clamp directly around the glass tube of a flourcent tube could I messure the current flowing inside?

and the question is yes, yes I can LOL :mrgreen:

image.thumb.png.4043b937bd491dbb1e7aa07d10115a5a.png

its not doing too badly either its only about 10Ma down from what the tube actually draws, not bad at all when you consider it was meant for measuring the magnetic fields coming from copper cables not the magnetic field from electric discharges in glass fluorescent tubes LOL

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

What is making me grin tonight?

Sitting in the evening sun drinking ice cold beer.

Just come in to get a fresh one, and thought I would post this so you can all enjoy* it with me! :-)

Yep, me too, ice cold Budvar ?

this BT stuff in cars is good , having fitted a radio that has BT and its good .

I have now found an app that connects my phone to the radio , ie   when I start the car , powers up the radio , which the phone then connects to .

then it starts playing music from the phone , and the car phone works as well ,          and  the phone can stay in my pocket ......

and all the sat nav voice works throu the radio ..

have I just joined the digital age ?

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

as shown here measuring the current that a 18W SL lamp draws, 0.152A in this case (aka 152 milliamps)

image.thumb.png.d60e1752eb2606d1a602b1c448b4a9d4.png

I recognise that light bulb! Hello old friend :-)

(Hang on - did I just recognise on the internet an old light bulb that I inherited from my father, and say hello to it?  Right, ok.)

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

Fridge-cold Stella here. 

<pedant alert> Surely if it was [Insert title of Foreigner song here] it would be too solid to drink???

Another pedant here :oops:

If we take the definition of ice-cold to mean a temperature at or below 0 degrees C, it is perfectly possible for beer to exist as a liquid, due to the alcohol content lowering the freezing point of the solution (yes, alcohol really *is* a solution!) by roughly 0.4 degC per % ABV.