What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

The fact this happened outweighs the actual sadness of the instance; today I went outside because I could hear a helicopter hovering- medivac machine slowly flying along, walked to the end of the drive and there's a procession of pretty much every ambulance, fire engine and police car in this end of the parish passing by on highway 1.

Local paramedic lost his life in a house fire, funeral procession. Done right.

I'm proud of the people round these parts sometimes.

Phil

Since SF19 my XM's throttle position sensor has made the throttle pedal feel like I'm pushing it into a bucket of gravel.

I blagged a new* TPS from Poland, it arrived in the week when I had a quick look under the bonnet and decided it looked a shit job best saved for the weekend. TPS is easily accessible but I couldn't see where it plugged into.

tps.thumb.jpg.a60f8fac2f63af865988db5766a9a0d0.jpg

Turns out the plug lives under the LHM resevoir.    Airbox out, LHM reservoir out and remove a couple of air ducts, two bolts and it's done in half an hour. Big Grin :)

tps2.thumb.jpg.22366d6f7a4c6c47b6421d1b5b02b975.jpg

Glad that's done coz the aircon doesn't work in the Buick

tps3.thumb.jpg.15bbcb2ab2855af4b04198e09035ef96.jpg

New* quality* Bosch TPS in place.

Inspired by my KV6 Sterling that he saw a couple of years ago, a mate has gone out and bought an M-reg Rover 620Si !

IMG-20190706-WA0002.thumb.jpg.8217d2886c1dd9318a961d47bc314571.jpgIMG-20190706-WA0001.thumb.jpg.4bd030ce968303ef4eac1fc161ee90f3.jpgIMG-20190706-WA0003.thumb.jpg.7bed5747b86e29e553474fd74ed4f9e0.jpg

50k miles and 2 owners from new, he just bought it for £650. He intends to use it as a weekend car. His everyday car is a Skoda Octavia.

I've got some floor mats and a possibly a bookpack somewhere which I'll give to him when I pop to Birmingham again at some point.

Edit* Looks like I don't actually have an owners manual for the 600, I do have a wallet for it though. Arse. Anyone got a bookpack they'd like to part with?

Loads of respect for the tow car but sadly no period trailer in that tow outfit. Years ago when I used to frequent Prescott hill climb you would still sometimes see some of the old boys in the VSCC turn up with a complete lash up of a trailer (usually with Land Rover wheels) behind a hefty tow car with a priceless vintage car on it, to thrash up the hill. Although they would be frowned on by those who drove theirs to the meet ( with wife following in grotty Morris Minor van containing wheels and tools). 

I always liked to see some of the specials, where the body had been thrown away, a couple of feet cut out of the chassis, until it was more or less riding an engine up the hill. No doubt some of these are now restored* to be something they never were in the first place.

Coming back from Gatwick this morning at at about 04.00, cruise set at 85 , as it's a Monday even the lorries weren't out yet.

When I was passed by a 19 reg Audi A8 that must have been doing at least 150, it rocked my Merc in lane 1 as it went by in lane 4 . It was doing that bounce/wobble thing that usually precedes a big off, too. Although I saw no evidence of disaster.

2 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Coming back from Gatwick this morning at at about 04.00, cruise set at 85 , as it's a Monday even the lorries weren't out yet.

When I was passed by a 19 reg Audi A8 that must have been doing at least 150, it rocked my Merc in lane 1 as it went by in lane 4 . It was doing that bounce/wobble thing that usually precedes a big off, too. Although I saw no evidence of disaster.

Probably just bedding-in the engine before the first dealer service....

Have finally tracked down an offside bi-optic headlamp for the CX with very good reflectors. The asking price, though, is eye-watering compared to the shite ones I've picked up to date. Still, beggars can't be choosers so I'll have to fork out.

Blowing exhaust joint next.

Having recently discovered that MX-5 drivers wave to each other when passing, it now appears that it's also a thing with Rover 75 owners, as I got a wave earlier from a chap in a rather smart black facelift saloon.

Also on the way in to work this morning I passed a youngish lad driving rather enthusiastically round the roundabout on the northern bypass.  In a russet brown Triumph Toledo.  B)

Half grin, half bricking it.

I'm getting on a train on the 21st, all the way down to Stoke on Trent.

I'll be there for a week, then driving a van all the way back north again. Said van will also have a lot of PPE and other gear in it, related to installing and repairing fibre internet connections...

It's a collection mission of sorts!

4 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Having recently discovered that MX-5 drivers wave to each other when passing, it now appears that it's also a thing with Rover 75 owners, as I got a wave earlier from a chap in a rather smart black facelift saloon.

Also on the way in to work this morning I passed a youngish lad driving rather enthusiastically round the roundabout on the northern bypass.  In a russet brown Triumph Toledo.  B)

I would start a waving club for 305 vans but I've yet to see one, so that's a non starter.

A 2009 chaved up insignia. Blacked out windows, grill delete stupid fucking alloys, you know the type. Revving his engine at morrisons in Shields covering the car park in grey acrid smoke. He speeds away from the roundabout gets 100 yards and pulls over. His engine has begun to run away! Hahahaha. The kids and I run the full length of the car park to watch as he sits in the car on his phone. 5 mins later the engine comes to an abrupt halt. made my day. All Vauxhalls are shit.....

13 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

I would start a waving club for 305 vans but I've yet to see one, so that's a non starter.

I gave someone in a 2.2 omega with no rear boot spoiler a wanker sign yesterday.  

I mean letting the side down. 

My first paper in an academic journal is published today - I may have spent the morning telling Missus Snagglepuss that as I am now an eccentric academic I can do what I want, which has resulted in learning more scottish swearwords than I knew existed :-)  

Just checked my emails. One of my "sign up for random shit" accounts had this beauty sat waiting for me.

I dream of making love to you slowly like turtles…

Regina <hhonors@availlo.com>
Wed 10/07/2019 14:29
Greetings, my dear! I hope to find a great passion and I’m twenty three years old. Do you wish to know how many play things it's possible to put inside my bum? Perhaps you might want to help me in this? Get in touch with me faster, my body need to have a warm fingers! My pictures and personal contacts are in my personal profile! look here

Nearly spat tea on my monitor.

Son, who was having so much shite in his first year as a teacher and resigned to finish at the end of term, has got on the PWC graduate scheme as an trainee auditor leading to become a chartered accountant and eventually managed to pass his NQT so if he ever wanted to do private tutoring, it would be easier.  

Just waiting on daughter's pre-reg exam results next week to find out if after 5 years of study, she's a fully qualified pharmacist or if she has to retake. 

The exam appears to be mental.  They could be asked anything. Some of the answers? 2 out of 4 are right. But one of those is more right  pass Mark is 90% I think.