What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Happy 47th to me yesterday. My girlfriend got my my favourite whisky. My mother the stormtrooper whisky cooler for the fridge and my mate's wife made me a fresh cream cake. I've just eaten half for my breakfast. I feel a bit sick now although it was worth it.a844c944e3c06e14835d42dc98d40c36.jpg4cd0fac69e8d524592f6b53ed8d0c173.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I've been looking for a set of Bini steelies for my mx5 recently, having missed out on a couple of sets I gave up and bought a set of alloys instead. so obviously a set has just popped up locally at a good price.

fullsizeoutput_121.thumb.jpeg.0cac85b7dea09d3be71b03ed50b1c0e1.jpeg

the seller helpfully shows them fitted to an mx5

fullsizeoutput_120.thumb.jpeg.c675613f084d83c0c90bdc379b09d6e7.jpeg

but wait a minute, that car and location looks familiar

IMG_0597.jpg.3ad676665114648a2fb6264eaf621ea7.jpg

yes, one of my previous mx5s, parked outside my old house up in Edinburgh ! cheeky bugger !

I'll probably buy the wheels anyway and keep them in the shed for the next time I'm needing tyres :)

Just now, gm said:

I've been looking for a set of Bini steelies for my mx5 recently, having missed out on a couple of sets I gave up and bought a set of alloys instead. so obviously a set has just popped up locally at a good price.

Bargain!  When I had a mk3 Golf estate back in 2010 I found a set of 4 BRAND NEW R56 mini steels with Michelin tyres for £100 on gumtree.  I had to grind out the centres to fit the 57.1mm VAG hub but It was well worth it.  A few weeks later I ripped a huge hole in a sidewall after hitting a curb - because dumbass.

9 minutes ago, gm said:

yes, one of my previous mx5s, parked outside my old house up in Edinburgh ! cheeky bugger !

I'll probably buy the wheels anyway and keep them in the shed for the next time I'm needing tyres :)

I bought some daisies with almost brand new pirelllis about 8 years ago. Still in the shed. Probably flat. It seems impossible to wear out the shite tyres that are on our monza. 

I’ve already got three sets of wheels for the car but I do prefer the look of steelies, I’m just waiting for the guy to get back to me to arrange collection and I’ll make space in the shed :) 

9 hours ago, paulplom said:

Happy 47th to me yesterday. My girlfriend got my my favourite whisky. My mother the stormtrooper whisky cooler for the fridge and my mate's wife made me a fresh cream cake. I've just eaten half for my breakfast. I feel a bit sick now although it was worth it.a844c944e3c06e14835d42dc98d40c36.jpg4cd0fac69e8d524592f6b53ed8d0c173.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

An excellent choice of beverage, less so your preference to refrigerate.

I recommend you visit the distillery next tiime you’re up this way.

F1 Autocentres Bulwell.

I know everyone says all fast fit chains are a bunch of rip off merchants but I've never had bad service off this particular franchise in  Nottingham - they do all my MoTs now (firm but fair) and never upsell me anything.  The manager John knows me because of the conveyer belt of Rovers they've had of mine.

Today they surpassed themselves - front section of exhaust on 214 needed fitting, but decided 'sod the cost, look at the state of them rusty nuts - fuck that for a game of soldiers'.

Supplied them the pipe, the gaskets etc - unusual in itself for most places, fitted the thing for me (and it was a fight too). Cost ? I thought anywhere between 100-150 would be about right. Nowhere close..

40 quid.

That's 40.

Fucking heroes.

They're getting loads more business  from me now and some glowing interweb reviews, as I need tyres for a couple on the fleet.

I just had a phone call from a seller of a car with fucked paint and a fucked clutch, which has been off the road for 13 years, and he still want £500 for it.

It took two emails and a half hour phone call to establish it was a Peugeot 406, but now I know about jobs he had in the early eighties, his relatives, his class one licence, and all sorts.

He'd probably fit in here, but I couldn't quite bare it to be honest.

12 hours ago, Tayne said:

An excellent choice of beverage, less so your preference to refrigerate.

I recommend you visit the distillery next tiime you’re up this way.

I just keep grants in the fridge. The Balvenie is in a cupboard. Grants actually makes it iirc.

14 hours ago, paulplom said:

I just keep grants in the fridge. The Balvenie is in a cupboard. Grants actually makes it iirc.

Good call.

William Grant & Sons started Glenfiddich and later Balvenie with Grants being the blended product. They’re the biggest Scottish owned distiller.

They also have Tulamore Dew, Hendricks and Sailor Jerry.

The Balvenie distillery tour is the best I’ve ever been on with the tasting session consisting of 6 Balvenie expressions (sometimes including the 40 year old).

I am partial to The Balvenie.

33DE92C9-5B88-4878-B5C9-9F22702ED35D.jpeg

87837FB0-0ECA-4E36-AB42-6FE52AA7398C.jpeg

20 hours ago, gm said:

Ooh I like the look of Mini Steels on the MX5... 

Maybe that’s what I should go for... 

I also broke down in a pretty place today.

D-Ff445XsAARTqN.jpg

Not my car. Was doing a video and POP went the boost pipe. Then it did it again. And again. Then I found the boost gauge pipework hanging down having popped off itself. Ripped the end off (baggy), reattached, reattached boost pipe using the screwdriver in the Saab toolkit. Sorted!