What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

decided to have another Bash at trouble shooting a Vintage Philips Radio I picked up in late 2013 from a charity shop in east Grinstead, at the time I deduced with a dim bulb tester and a variac that the mains input was dead short, but could not figure out how to pull the chassis out to investigate further

well I still have not figured that out, but did figure out how to get enough access to let me have a closer look at things

well I think I have sussed the issue :) 

image.thumb.png.99f2199f133a0a1786f4d7b2076bd7e7.png

snipped the sad looking capacitor out and no more mains short :)

only problem is im not sure what value this cap is so I can replace it properly, nor do I currently have any schematics, sadly it exploded right where the markings are and I can only make out a H33KP and a 6 bellow that

I think ill tentatively wire up the radio to my variac via dim bulb tester and see if I get any more life out of it

sadly this radio is full of these black caps (I know they have a name in the "trade" but i cant recall it atm, just that they like to fail like above LOL) so I know ill have to replace all of those at some point as well

if anyones wondering the Radio is a Philips 131U

edit: woop found schematics/service info https://www.doctsf.com/documents/schematheques/radio_anglais/PHILIPS/131U.PDF

edit2: looks like it was a 33nf cap across the mains for RF filtering, and those aint critical to operation so ill go ahead with testing

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

decided to have another Bash at trouble shooting a Vintage Philips Radio I picked up in late 2013 from a charity shop in east Grinstead, at the time I deduced with a dim bulb tester and a variac that the mains input was dead short, but could not figure out how to pull the chassis out to investigate further

well I still have not figured that out, but did figure out how to get enough access to let me have a closer look at things

well I think I have sussed the issue :) 

image.thumb.png.99f2199f133a0a1786f4d7b2076bd7e7.png

snipped the sad looking capacitor out and no more mains short :)

only problem is im not sure what value this cap is so I can replace it properly, nor do I currently have any schematics, sadly it exploded right where the markings are and I can only make out a H33KP and a 6 bellow that

I think ill tentatively wire up the radio to my variac via dim bulb tester and see if I get any more life out of it

sadly this radio is full of these black caps (I know they have a name in the "trade" but i cant recall it atm, just that they like to fail like above LOL) so I know ill have to replace all of those at some point as well

if anyones wondering the Radio is a Philips 131U

edit: woop found schematics/service info https://www.doctsf.com/documents/schematheques/radio_anglais/PHILIPS/131U.PDF

edit2: looks like it was a 33nf cap across the mains for RF filtering, and those aint critical to operation so ill go ahead with testing

You should be able to pick up a Class X2 rated 33nF cap for a few pence on fleabay, though it'll be hard to find a period correct or period looking part. I would over spec the voltage though, at least 350V just in case of spikes and surges.

1 minute ago, dozeydustman said:

You should be able to pick up a Class X2 rated 33nF cap for a few pence on fleabay, though it'll be hard to find a period correct or period looking part. I would over spec the voltage though, at least 350V just in case of spikes and surges.

Yah thats what im thinking too, will do so in time :)

I realised that while the combo power switch and volume control clicks on and off, it does not turn and let me adjust volume, so something is a bit jammed somewhere or something

im hoping when that cap let go, it did not damage the Power switch/volume control potentiometer as that would be a right ball ache to fix

17 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Yah thats what im thinking too, will do so in time :)

I realised that while the combo power switch and volume control clicks on and off, it does not turn and let me adjust volume, so something is a bit jammed somewhere or something

im hoping when that cap let go, it did not damage the Power switch/volume control potentiometer as that would be a right ball ache to fix

I'm sure a replacement dual gang potentiometer with switch could be sourced and adapter. Could just be full of crud.

3 hours ago, SierraMikeHotel said:

Today I found out that there's an elderly lady in my town who goes into the Cancer Research shop every day, buys something, then donates it to the Red Cross shop down the road.

I like her, much more worthwhile than sitting at home doing nothing, or buying random crap and taking it home like I do.

Using an Astra H while the Mondeo is broken. I’ve never been a massive fan of these but this one is a Design, so it’s got all the bits and bats Vauxhall’s decreed made it higher spec. I’m a changed man I quite like it, I’d not go as far as to say I’d have one over a Focus, it’s got far too many annoying things in it, but it’s a decent car, they go for fuck all these days. Quite a decent steer for banger money if you dispense with the glacial 1.4 or the cement mixer like 1.7 Cdti.

6 hours ago, SierraMikeHotel said:

Today I found out that there's an elderly lady in my town who goes into the Cancer Research shop every day, buys something, then donates it to the Red Cross shop down the road.

Once the Red Cross shop is full, will she reverse the process and transfer it all back to Cancer Research?

11 hours ago, sierraman said:

Using an Astra H while the Mondeo is broken. I’ve never been a massive fan of these but this one is a Design, so it’s got all the bits and bats Vauxhall’s decreed made it higher spec. I’m a changed man I quite like it, I’d not go as far as to say I’d have one over a Focus, it’s got far too many annoying things in it, but it’s a decent car, they go for fuck all these days. Quite a decent steer for banger money if you dispense with the glacial 1.4 or the cement mixer like 1.7 Cdti.

The one I had was a 1.8 Design - not a bad steer as you say, but I found the seats to be horrifically uncomfortable on longer runs.

Step son is busy watching a exotic super cars spotted video... 

Mrs_brownnova and I are entertaining ourselves by spotting the chod inadvertently in the videos.

So far a 2CV, a Renault Espace, two Xantias, a Hyundai Accent, an early Mitsubishi Colt and a Ferrari Mondial.... although I think that last one might have been masquerading as an exotic car... 

What always make me smile are the H&S fuck ups.

Here's a couple from the recent trip to Crete.

Don't know who checks or if there are fire regs, but it's always good to have a fire hose accessable.

IMG_20190612_170413.thumb.jpg.4023ed81b3ee8cf38964ac3beeac6fc9.jpg

It's just not only could I probably piss more than this given the supply pipe size, but the tap to turn it on is clearly visible,  nicely beyond your ability to reach over the handrail with a 4 meter drop below it!

This gave myself and several other tourists a good 10 minutes entertainment.

How to unload a minidigger from a tipper truck without ramps or a crane.

IMG_20190613_103200.thumb.jpg.68b20381eaf68870c38373f8ff39da98.jpg

Choosing a picture like this you must imagine that the Facebook editor of my local paper had some Shiter tendencies.... 

E42E390C-6CFC-4BB8-93B7-D6860F2FF80B.jpeg

Coz sure as hell 4 people weren’t rescued from that MR2... so they’ve picked that for pure aesthetics! 

Must’ve been the pop up headlights! 

(Orl) Vauxhall (r shit) adventures

Today I decided to take a little time for myself. Been feeling pretty shit lately. This morning I set off to the local Morrisons. Whilst there, my (orl) Vauxhall (r shit) Vectra met another brother;

20190613_081810.thumb.jpg.f2c97d3264375ed3b18907f04ead1fe2.jpg

Including this one, I'd seen no less than 4 Vectra Bs in the space of 30 mins and a 4 mile journey. It looked really clean, like an old giffers car.

Later on I popped into the charity shoppe. I'm well known there and the staff were happy to see me as I'd not been there for nearly 2 months due to Ramadan and now family stuff in Birmingham occupying my free time. One of the usual customers and sometime helper was having trouble with her car, it needed a jump start. I fetched my car and was greeted by a very Autoshite Volvo 760 2.3!!!

20190613_151607.thumb.jpg.3d83c0c2ac3a8caefbb5dd51efb0144e.jpg

20190613_151835.thumb.jpg.200b91e650a17e84162e9fd28d3099b3.jpg

I'd suggested that if the Volvo were ever for sale, I may know some Scottish Volvo enthusiasts* that would happily take it under their wing. If not, i certainly know others who would be interested in thenold Volvo. She loves it but has suggested she may sell. She'd just spent £400 getting it through its MOT.