What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Not a grin, but there's no thread for a warm smile so here it goes.

My mum passed away just over a year ago. Took us a while to clear the house but it was sold in November after a bit of a manic last removals session. The bloke who bought it with his fiancee has quite a striking name, more than likely unique, so he's easy to find on Facebook - and his other half has her account public.

So I know it's weird to essentially go Facebook stalking a house but on the exact anniversary of my mum's death, they posted a whole load of family pictures taken in the house with their new baby. They've not changed a thing and I think the overwhelming feeling was of closure that they're enjoying the house, they look like a lovely family, and it's very much their home.

They'd best not bloody peel the wallpaper though, it's damp as fuck under there.

19 hours ago, SiC said:

New toy! Quite a big bugger though and going to be interesting to use in contrast to my mains powered ones. Also bought a pair of 5Ah batteries and a charger, as I know these grinders can really chomp through the batteries. 

20190601_091309.thumb.jpg.809b7736cbb69d6edd2ce4dbb253a5fe.jpg

Great bit of kit. I'm on my 2nd one. The on off switch can be a pain at times though.

On 5/31/2019 at 2:15 PM, purplebargeken said:

Lad called Simon who is wel known for blagging his way around the world. He and his brother plus 2 mates are driving to Madrid for this football thing. They are driving in a 40 quid Skoda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVuUuAdxQHw

Just seen them on national TV post match interview. It got there 

"Fire fighters said it was not uncommon".

I follow a couple of Aussie Subaru Brumby groups on facebook so understand it must get lonely in the out back. 

The strange thing is Tweed Heads is on the fringe of the Gold Coast, Australia’s prostitute capital. So you have to be pretty desperate to be breaking out the spanners (and WD40 I presume).

Somehow I managed to get lost on the A14 yesterday on the way back from my folks. I'd boasted to my Mum that I didn't need  Google Maps anymore, but incredibly I made a wrong lane selection (on the roadworky bit near Cambridge, the 40mph bit). I ended up on the A428 but rather than being sensible and pulling over, I stubbornly kept going.

No major heartache, as I knew even if I ended up in Bedford I'd find my way back from there, but miraculously the A1 appeared, then the A14 again and I was back en route. My navigational skills* (or my internal compass) saved the day.

Didn't really care, to be honest, as I was in the 620 and I'd happily drive from John O'Groats to Lands End in the old barge.

But it did make me think of this thread on Pistonheads where millennials got a kicking for not having a clue how to use roadsigns, maps, and basic geographical knowledge of the country wot they live in:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1812571

Turns out I still have internal map skillz (and only ended up doing 8 extra miles in the end)

The Firefighters / Spanner / Knob post (I'm not gonna quote it again!)

.... "firefighters used a mini grinder and measuring tape"

Is that the right type of tape they meant? Seems a bit of a pisstake to mock the poor guy's manhood size before the get him free.

On Friday I went to a funeral. No that's not the grin, it was my wife's Grandmother, who had made it to 98 still living in the house she had lived in since 1947 and had passed away after a very short illness , in the hospital that she was born in( St Mary's in Paddington) so not a desperately sad occaision.

Three things made me smile, the hearse and limo were both Saab 9-5 s. Far classier than the ugly glitzy Insignia and Jag outside the crematorium.

There was a massive " Remain"  bouquet in the remembrance garden, whether it was the deceased wishes or from a relative that wanted the last word- who knows. 

And a bright red Mk2 Consul, I  rember seeing it at a family function 30 years ago , it belongs to an old workmate of Mrs N's long dead Grandad , I didn't get to speak to him, but it looks as if it's 75% wob.

16 hours ago, Snipes said:

I just thinking that power switch and grab combination looks awful until I realised it's probably set up for left hookers. 

I have a cheap mains angle grinder that I bought over 20 years ago, I don’t use it that often, but it has the option to switch between left and right handed operation.

At some point I’ll buy an 18volt grinder (same batteries as the other tools I have) and hopefully it will have the same option.