What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

24 minutes ago, Amishtat said:

The current owner is its third keeper apparently, it would have still been in the care of its first when I used to see it years ago. He did mention he's been thinking of parting with it so I got his number. (Because, like most of us, what I really need right now is another old car..) 

You know you want it.

On my driving lessons in 1997 I used to pass a rural bungalow with a black FD Victor on the driveway which never seemed to move. Went along that stretch of road for the first time in some years about six months ago and remembered it, long gone of course and the bungalow now smartened up almost beyond recognition. Today I went to a local show (maybe four miles away) and just look what was there. Had a lovely chat with the owner who seemed pleased someone remembered it. I'm over the moon to actually see the thing properly after all this time. Full history from new, and it's had those wheels and seat covers since 1973!
IMG_20190526_104910.thumb.jpg.e4f6c0ed6009552db69813b1c7c19ca8.jpg
These are lovely things, the styling is spot on.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

5 years ago (almost to the day) I bought an MG Midget. The collection caper went like this.... 

DAD2B394-44CB-426C-9D2C-1B2D833BE44B.jpeg

And that was a running theme for my ownership!! It was a cracking car, but after some cooling issues I couldn’t resolve (I wasn’t as involved on here back then!) I gave up. 

Today at the Prestatyn Car show I was walking along and thought to myself “A Midget just like the one I used to have.... hang on... it is the one I used to have!”

E4E73A77-A426-469D-8CE6-EBBE0702A01C.jpeg

Turns out it’s now just 15 miles up the road, running beautifully (after a new radiator) and really loved! 

Even weirder was the fact that stood next to it having a look round too was the mechanic friend of mine who fixed it’s carbs after the first breakdown! He hadn’t realised it was the same one... 

Small world!! 

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

I love the optimism of people putting wanted ads on Freecycle. ‘Wanted York Stone Slabs, not imitation but proper solid stone slabs’ For Free. Yeah right...

I agree! "Wanted: petrol strimmer, full working order if possible". I've got three of rhe bloody things in my garage and not one runs right. Your still not having one for free though.

I sold a non working one I had for £20,had my arm bitten off! Got given it along with a lawnmower, guy said it used to run but now doesn't. I faffed with it for a few weeks, new oil and fuel, had the carb apart and nowt, so onto facebook it went! 

Just back from a very pleasant five day break at the static caravan in Scotland. Generally lovely weather, didn't watch anything political or news based on the TV, went for a lot of great walks with Mrs Beard and Dog Beard, gave the Honda Accord an oil and filter change (Shell Helix Ultra full synthetic for £19.99 for 5 litres off of that ebay) plus a coolant flush and change (Prestone ready mixed stuff, Tesco selling it off at £7 for 4 litres).

Heard a cuckoo, saw several red kite, a hare, a red deer and some red squirrels.

image.png

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

just got 13 months MOT on the old jalopy     , grin grin grin grin

I know where you take it, and its not the most surprising thing.  The surprising thing is that he still only takes cheques and cash. Its like 1960 in there and that includes the year when the mechanics last opened a service manual and followed the instructions carfully

Imagine if you could pay by credit card.  

2t strimmers are brilliant things provided you follow two very simple rules

- Buy an expensive, professional one to begin with
- Run it, without fail at least twice a week

Failure to observe either of these rules will result in a non-functioning strimmer. They are utter bastards, made of tiny components which explode everywhere when you try to take them to bits to work out whats gone out of alignment/gummed up with 2t gunk. People often ask about them when they find out I dabble with lawnmowers, and i give them those two bits of advise. I then patiently suggest that if they cannot fulfil both criteria, then buy electric strimmers. They aren't as good a proper Stihl brushcutter with a 40cc engine and a body harness, but they don't often go wrong, and when they do, they are cheap enough to just go and replace.

Finally got the keys to my new flat on Friday. I've spent all weekend putting curtains up etc and eventually moved in yesterday. The couples next door must be muslims as the lady mentioned they were fasting when she brought me a massive plate of pakora and spicy chicken wings. Lovely. She also got me a job for one of her mates. I have to fit a cooker extractor for him next week.