What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Bit the bullet and ordered something on behalf of Ms Slappy for the first time from a certain parts store that has the word Euro in it, using a promo over the weekend as she needs some new discs, to be collected by her this morning.

I warned her, having read many a post about the store's ability to not provide the part that you've ordered within this fine parish, to double check immediately that they hadn't given her a radiator hose for a Golf or something daft. Good thing I did as upon being presented with a very tatty looking box of Pagid's finest she found immediately that the security seal was freed off and inside contained some pretty rusty used discs along with other unidentified paraphernalia. Apparently one swift rebuke later the rather dishevelled assistant returned with a box in much better condition....

So the grin is to say thanks to all you lot really. Probably would have walked out of the store otherwise and by that point proving that the parts we had collected were not what we had ordered may have been a bit more problematic.

7 hours ago, purplebargeken said:

I actually mentioned to Mrs PBK this evening about selling up and moving to Bulgaria. I said that Mrs PBK could have some sheep if we did. I fear I was unsuccessful in my endeavours.

Doing it wrong. You go there on holiday first before announcing such ideas!

To be fair you could move to West Wales, find a lovely place for cheap (think 11 acre, 4 bed house for £400k) and have plenty of sheep. And barns. And of course cars. 

1 hour ago, loserone said:

Wait, did you say cheap, or 400k?

It's all relative, if Ken's London house would sell for eleventy million pounds £400k is cheap. On the other hand my house, which few people would want due to it being odd and in a bad location, would sell for pennies, so £400k would be expensive.

10 hours ago, purplebargeken said:

I actually mentioned to Mrs PBK this evening about selling up and moving to Bulgaria. I said that Mrs PBK could have some sheep if we did. I fear I was unsuccessful in my endeavours.

Your house is lovely, Ken.  You should get somewhere with lots of land/quieter town no danger with what that must be worth.

I’m in Gravesend today visiting my folks plus have masonic business, and popped to see Jim Chalmers in his motoring shop. Always good to see this parked up with the owner purchasing parts.

14C7ABCA-5D49-4433-9688-CF51B4B24EC7.thumb.jpeg.ac6ba3a78a1ce9b251002c42e0ae95dd.jpeg

Then went to my dad’s allotment where he put some bee food out for the communal beehives

C5EDADFA-F423-498C-A32C-37743EB8F791.thumb.jpeg.b8efeeb1ded11eb2a2c9a22800b87104.jpeg

I like bees and hope to get a jar of honey later this year. One of the other plot holders grows nothing but paeonies and they were covered with bees, so wonder what the honey will taste like.

Last night I went camping, found a new site and it's absolutely idyllic. see here (the talbot is center right in the shot). But that's not the grin.

768150736_2019-05-2118_41_27.thumb.jpg.08bca6ad7fd4db5728b655cde89def97.jpg

There's a pub 2 miles along the Pennine way (Nags head) so I obviously went and had some tea and a few pints of stout, it's their own special (Nag's 1577). It's lovely, you can't get it anywhere else so I always have one more than I would otherwise. Plus, this time I had one for the road seeing as it was a long way back to the van. Unsurprisinly I had a decent nights kip, up at 6:30 am, a quick shower and got to my unit for 8 am after the obligatory bacon sandwich and large coffee from the Spar at Calver which is about halfway here.

By 10 am I'm farting like something not right, to the point where I basically stank out the whole unit and had to open the windows.

Now there's some work going off outside, they're digging the carpark up to resurface it and two people walked past one of my windows and started worrying that the builders had broken into one of the drains. I'm not proud of myself.

Nag's 1577 though, cracking stuff.

'Hull man 'mobbed by screaming Elton John fans' in Spain speaks of his new-found fame

A piano playing popstar made his debut appearance at a Hull.'

Impressive, he must look like Sir Elton John....

2gt2k9s.jpg

o5c84m.jpg

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/elton-john-fans-spain-hull-2896306

I genuinely cried laughing,

Manager managed to talk to the grand overlord today.  She's got all the players on the court at the moment, so can say what she likes.

Has managed to negotiate me an extra £100 a month on top of the extra £100 a month I'm getting at the moment because I've taken over a lot of the responsibility for someone that's left.  There are two of us doing the job of three.  Even better, in a couple of weeks, I will be doing half of what I'm doing at the moment to cover the staff shortage, from 20 hours extra (of contact) a fortnight to 10.  Which is massive, actually...

EDIT:  I mean, by their own figures I'm saving them £1600 a month - but I don't think I'll ever win that argument...