What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Sat at Cherwell Valley services after driving over 750 miles over the past 26hrs and seeing Chris pull up in this.

What a proud & noble sight it was, I do think that Eau du British Leyland should be a new air freshener. I put my head through the window and the smell took me straight to being 17 and my 1st car, an Austin 1100, loved it ?

387866AF-E8BA-404C-9212-8C09C5609057.jpeg

Spent the entire day down at the lock up. Combination of angle grinder, knotted wire wheel, polydisk, sander and generator action has resulted in the paint being totally removed from the passenger side of the TR Toledo. The sills on this car are utterly mint, original sills too! The only bit of corrosion was to be found on the bottom section of the front passenger door.  Treated with Krud Kutter to murderise the rust. Then tomorrow a little more sanding and red oxide to be applied.

Just the drivers side rear 1/4 panel and rear valance to sand down. Oh, also the front valance and the door frames. Urrgghhh.

Oh well, progress made anyhow.

21 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

image.jpg

I have that too. I especially like the tally of question time appearances - faridge complains he’s not allowed on the bbc and is running 33 to 59 to Ken Clarke who actually had been elected to the uk parliament for fifty years. 

4 minutes ago, SiC said:

I just hate having to keep seeing the rubber faced cunt and hearing his smarmy voice. 

You’ll have to narrow it down, there are so many fitting the description ;-)

although mr farrago has always reminded me of dominar rygel in Farscape.

780F794E-35D5-4855-83F3-56017BCE6A83.jpeg

22 hours ago, Stanky said:

I demand to see Capt_70s in a floppy dog ears shirt and square-toe rivet shoes next time he fails to proceed in Glasgow rush-hour traffic.

Avoidance of roadside tinkering would be important, those 'dog ears' are sure to get caught in the fanbelt and give you a good dose of 'Karl Howman' syndrome. :-D

y'know what, thats quite possibly the most evenly spaced, correctly angled application of halfords stick-on-letters I have ever seen. They're not quite central, but thats an impressive job nonetheless. Also I reckon I can see The Numan rolling in a grey 320d. Its only his mates who've made the switch to Teslas.

This is great... and also I'm going to drown myself. 

The national lottery said "Hey, why don't you try set for life?" Fine I'll have a couple of randos.

I logged in and I've won £250, cool beans. 4 numbers and a life ball. Had I had 5 numbers and no life ball. £10k a month for a year. Had I had 5 and the life ball £10k a month for 30 years.

It pays for the Alessi tax and leave me with a nice weekend, but fuck everybody... One bastard number away. Unbalanced cunts, robbing me of £3.6 million.

Bittersweet, I guess.

B5DC8C0C-B7F6-48DA-BCCC-D7A83A8765F4.jpeg

1 hour ago, Aston Martin said:

This is great... and also I'm going to drown myself. 

The national lottery said "Hey, why don't you try set for life?" Fine I'll have a couple of randos.

I logged in and I've won £250, cool beans. 4 numbers and a life ball. Had I had 5 numbers and no life ball. £10k a month for a year. Had I had 5 and the life ball £10k a month for 30 years.

It pays for the Alessi tax and leave me with a nice weekend, but fuck everybody... One bastard number away. Unbalanced cunts, robbing me of £3.6 million.

Bittersweet, I guess.

B5DC8C0C-B7F6-48DA-BCCC-D7A83A8765F4.jpeg

Well done, if you want to hear misery though: 10 yr back the jackpot had rolled over to 18 million and had to be won, I put 4 lines on ,on line one I had 5 numbers and won £1800 ........ I had the sixth number on line 3   ?

Nobody got six numbers so it all went to charity, weirdly if someone had won I would have got more ?????

y'know what, thats quite possibly the most evenly spaced, correctly angled application of halfords stick-on-letters I have ever seen. They're not quite central, but thats an impressive job nonetheless. Also I reckon I can see The Numan rolling in a grey 320d. Its only his mates who've made the switch to Teslas.
ISWYDT

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Not actually checked the fuel consumption on the Honda Accord before now, but became aware that fuel stops are less frequent than they were in the Saab. Noticeably so. Did a brim to brim check on a recent long trip and was astonished really! Ok, so I was deliberately driving as economically as possible cruising at 60 on a very quiet M6 up to Scotland, but over the 150 odd mile journey managed a tad over 43 MPG. In a  16 year old 2.0 litre pez iVtec with almost 180K miles on the clock. Including some B road driving and Dumfries traffic.

Nice! 

Just hope this isn't tempting fate and something breaks..........

Who knew that pissing yourself in the back seat of a G-Wiz could have such disastrous consequences?

23-Jan-12:
This will unfortunately be the last entry. The G-Wiz reached 29,500 miles on these batteries. The batteries were going to need to be replaced in two or three months time. Unfortunately the car met with a mishap on the 23-Dec-2011. My son went out with his work colleagues on the 23-Dec and as he had had a couple of drinks so I went and picked him up. He sat in the back seat, as he always does. However, the road we drove down was very bumpy, and you can guess what happened.

Well the car immediately went into limp mode, the charge gauge went ballistic and all sorts of strange things started to occur. We limped the 5 miles home. Next day the car was very dead (and smelly). So we removed the back seat only to discover that there is no cover under the seat, so the fluid components of his accident ran straight into the EMS and the DC-DC/DC-AC converter and charger. This killed both. The cost of replacing these would be £2,000 for the parts alone and I needed to replace the batteries anyway, another £1,280 (they have gone up in price.) The car was not worth spending a minimum of £3,280 on so we had to scrap it. This was a sad day. We considered putting a BMW R100 motorcycle engine in it, but the engine was too expensive. So on the 23-Jan-2012, 5 years after it first went on the road, we had to scrap the car.

If we had known there was no cover under the back seat, we could have fitted one ourselves.

From here.

Finally replaced the failing shower unit - been on the blink for about six months, sometimes it would work, others not.

After four days of not working, ordered a new one from an eBay supplier (Plumbworld) who I bought the previous one from, about ten years ago.

Was £140, reduced from £240 and a limited amount remaining, asked if they could defer sending until Monday as I was not supposed to be here today but they said they couldn't but it wouldn't arrive until Monday or Tuesday anyway.

Ordered it (Thursday) and it arrived yesterday, less than 24 hours after ordering it.

Took the old one off the wall and discovered that the reputation that Mira have that all units are direct-swap isn't quite true.

Much re-piping and cutting expanded holes in the tiles (stinky with a Dremmel).

Left the pipework overnight to check for leaks (put a service calve in the pipe).  All OK so bunged the new unit in place.

Much better flow and boiling hot, much better than the Orbis it replaced and far less expensive.