What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 for 1;

Went out to the Vectra to sort out the window switch packs. The windows didn't always work when pressing the buttons due to a build-up of dirt on the contacts. I checked a couple of step by step videos on how to sort them out.

It was easy as; switch pack pops out, unlink connector, take backing off, clean contacts, reassemble and connect back in car. Whole job for both drivers and passengers side switch packs took no more than 10 mins. Both switch packs now work like new.

Happy with a quick and easy yet very affective job, I was about to get out when I spied the nose of a little Toyota Yaris try and squeeze in between a very badly parked VW Touareg and another vehicle;

20190503_200728.thumb.jpg.a8722dc86050be3c750b66da5bd41ce9.jpg

As I got out I told the young girl driver that I admired her determination, the car park was rammed being Saturday evening as all the revellers usually descend on the town. 

1 hour ago, Lord Sterling said:

2 for 1;

Went out to the Vectra to sort out the window switch packs. The windows didn't always work when pressing the buttons due to a build-up of dirt on the contacts. I checked a couple of step by step videos on how to sort them out.

It was easy as; switch pack pops out, unlink connector, take backing off, clean contacts, reassemble and connect back in car. Whole job for both drivers and passengers side switch packs took no more than 10 mins. Both switch packs now work like new.

Happy with a quick and easy yet very affective job, I was about to get out when I spied the nose of a little Toyota Yaris try and squeeze in between a very badly parked VW Touareg and another vehicle;

As I got out I told the young girl driver that I admired the determination, the car park was rammed being Saturday evening and all the revellers usually descend on the town. 

I do this in the V70 :-)

Nice to see things are as civil as ever over here.

Rock Auto is my grin. I bought a gearbox rebuild kit for the Civic's autobox at considerable expense, get it, take the gearbox apart, and the clutches are different, wrong internal diameter. 

Try to return them and the returns system is a clusterfuck, as the kit is listed as its constituent parts: it would appear the 'kit' is actually a bundle as the breakdown for it includes the box the parts come in as a returnable item worth $4. As such to return the whole kit you have to specify a reason for each part of the kit - and I couldn't get the system to give me the same outcome for all the parts, it'd refund me for some, part refund me for others, etc... Why they didn't just class the kit as one item is a mystery. 

Frustrated, I emailed them and told them the problem, few hours later they reply, they'd gone away and looked into the issue themselves and found the clutches in the kit to be wrong in both quantity and part number, an error at their end. They told me not to worry about returning anything, and gave me $82.50 store credit to order and ship the right parts. 

Rock Auto never disappoints. 

10 hours ago, robinmasters said:

Just had a look at that 'Dark Wob' place. 

This place has been described as 'Pistonheads for poor people'. The Dark Wob appears to be Pistonheads for bitter, twisted people, who wear tin-foil hats. 

It’s only the internet. Untwist your knickers and get on with your life. 

About 6 months ago, whilst driving past a neighbouring farm here in France, I espied what appeared to be 2 x Acadiane vans abandoned in a corner of the yard. I thought it unusual that I had not spotted them previously, but put that down to being higher up being in the L200. They both appeared to be in rough condition, but I kept thinking how bad could they be? For the last 6 months I have been keeping an eye on them, and trying to justify going for a look see with the "another project would not hurt" and "I could do with something to play with down here" but also trying to be sensible, as that would need a duplicate tool kit, would distract me from doing the house etc.

On Thursday I gave in, (willpower was a hit in the 70s I think and does not apply to me in any way) and arranged with a friend who is bilingual (and also knows the farmer concerned, though not well) to come with me on Saturday morning. Friday night I did a drive by as I was starting to get excited - and horror of horrors, the vans have gone! Too late.

So, why is this a grin? It means I do not have the hassle of moving them, a couple of years working on them and all the hassle/expense that would surely have followed on. To console myself last night I had a look on leboncoin and locally there is a choice of about a dozen 2CV vans/Acadianes for around the 4k euro mark, all of which would be usable straight away. Decision made, fleet reduction is going to get serious when I get home, and the proceeds of one of the sales will be invested* in some prime French chod.

Just done the maths for the last fill of the tank in the van - and made absolutely sure it was actually full this time (a bit of a chore as the tank breather isn't great).
27.1mpg, so the average holding rock steady at 27.0mpg. 

I was quite sceptical of the figures early on, but we're nine fuel ups in now and the trend has not moved.

That's better than the Activa and the Lada, which honestly doesn't seem physically possible, even despite my tending not to push her quicker than she feels the most comfortable (indicated 62-65mph seems to be the sweet spot on the motorway).

Those old OM.601 engines really do sip the fuel delicately don't they...

14 hours ago, gm said:

mother gm appears to be very happy with her new motor

IMG_9291.thumb.JPG.b827f467dfd43f16b492474e0a38d281.JPG

although she did make me take off the Autoshite dealer sticker :(

Do what we did for my dad.   He had a pug 504 saloon - when it snowed we got in and decorated the back windscreen with a nativity scene which he didn't find until snow melted

On 5/3/2019 at 8:30 PM, Lord Sterling said:

. I was about to get out when I spied the nose of a little Toyota Yaris try and squeeze in between a very badly parked VW Touareg and another vehicle;

As I got out I told the young girl driver that I admired the determination, the car park was rammed being Saturday evening and all the revellers usually descend on the town. 

If that was in our town, the council car park attendant would issue fines on the far is and the VW for not being inside the lines. 

On 5/3/2019 at 10:52 PM, robinmasters said:

This place has been described as 'Pistonheads for poor people'. The Dark Wob appears to be Pistonheads for bitter, twisted people, who wear tin-foil hats. 

Yeah but the omega owners forum is inhibited by right wing Xenophobic Tory voting brexiters.  Luckily the problem pages are comprehensive, so often no need to interact

Although if you do ask a question, there's often a "See the relevant how to guide" 

No link, so cheers for being helpful. 

On 5/3/2019 at 10:52 PM, robinmasters said:

I don't possess a tin hat nor am i bitter (slightly twisted but aren't we all) so jog on. Cheers me duck. 

Wow, 1 (or 2) grins within a couple of days? Surely not!

Been wanting to wash the Blue Micra for weeks now but everytime I have time, it gets taken up by the BMW or the Vectra DTi.

Today I actually found I had time. So I gingerly took the Micra up to the yard to get it washed and pay my storage fees. Getting into the yard I noticed a flatbad with a Mk1 Rover 800 on it. Don't worry, it wasn't one of mine;

20190505_165102.thumb.jpg.0f532b0b274c17bb3e72b4868331fbe1.jpg

A Mk1 'c' 827SLi 

The chap with the flatbed came to have a look a Mk1 Sterling that belonged to another yard user and garage owner who I also met.

I met both chaps and we started talking about Rover 800s.  The chap who had bought it was a member of the 800 club, nice chap. 

The Micra did finally get a wash. One of the yard users buys and sells cars and leaves me some floor mats that they usually chuck in the bin, this time I scored some K11 rubber front mats!

20190505_174524.thumb.jpg.fc293e51eaedd5564b23aee4130fde17.jpg

So, a couple of new friends and some proper Micra mats.

Finally found this website again :) 

http://www.teralab.org/index.htm

the guy makes his own lightbulb and other glass devices and documents it all quite well

I had come across his website many years ago, so im happy to have found it again, and am also happy to see its still up

ever wondered what a Trim phone would look like X Rayed? :) 

Trimphone_XRay.jpg

Took the P reg Ronda 620 out today and ended up in a 1990s and Japanese stylee three car convoy.

We were stuck behind a modern going 40 on a 60 - as soon as that turned off, the lovely reminiscent feeling of being in the 1990s came to pass as a N reg Primera, an H reg Corolla and my 'modern' gave it the beans. All three cars looked immaculate, has to be said.

You know when you think you’re knocking on and struggle drinking as much as you used to? Well, sort of inadvertently disproved that recently and last night’s ‘not work’s do’ was a cracker, think got home about 2.00am or something. 

Went out to Stanford Hall VW show yesterday. Bumped into an old mate that used to look after my cars. Conversation turned to one of them in particular, and that I missed it.

He knows where it is and he thinks it'll be for sale.

No spoilers yet as there's so many reasons this won't happen but you know that thing when you wake up and remember doing something the day before and smile...? That.

just been to Alderley edge and Wilmslow ...

their are people lining the roads with camera's , video gear , on the off chance some exotic car like a Maserati will get driven past ....  !!!!!!

I had to hide my car in the corner of a car park  ,,,, it was a bit older than the local stuff , most was  2017 or newer ..