What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

1) Finding out that the Bluebird pictured in an old copy of Buying Cars magazine is still on the road:

47710876301_7b33f807cb_b.jpg

1988 Nissan Bluebird (still on road) and others, Buying Cars 10/91 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Appears to be in good hands, I found a recent photo of it at a car show down in Somerset.

2) Purchasing a big batch of old 1970s What Car? magazines that now give me an unbroken run from issue 1 in 1973 to 1991. Just a few '90s issues to take me up to 2000, which is about as far as I'm interested in going. There's a great variety in every issue, they're nicely written with honest, real-world verdicts and overall give a good idea of motoring generally back at the time of publication.

This acquisition does leave me with quite a few duplicates, which along with hundreds of other 'twicers' I must start selling off. Will endeavour to have a sort out and start a thread going in the relevant place, prices will be significantly less than eBay etc.

What do you need to cockblock on a collection? Or is it to save needing a shitty stick to beat the klunge away as collection occurs?

Oh, definitely option 2. With just the car, there'll be so much clunge in one place that the earth will wobble on its axis so I'm there to even the desire out.

ROFL at hire cars

for shitefest your finest shite corsa from hertz - but even hiring an estate to kip in wouldnt be much more

12 quid a day - fine - barg

the insurance - 26 quid not for the hire - A DAY

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

sixt

22 quid a day

ins was 11,50 thats better

but you only get 800 free miles (200 a day)  WTF?

to tack on unlimited miles it 6 quid a day extra - why not just add that to the hire wouldnt bother paying 28 quid a day thats still reasonable

wtf are they on

for the cost of hertz i can ride the bike down pay for the b and b while there stop thursday on the way down go to haynes then pay for somewhere on the way back and still be cheaper

rented a car in usa for just over a week not including the one way charge is only 100 quid more than the uk ones

theyre all on drugs :D

Woot

Phil - move house niaow :lol:

To Houston? No. Even I'm not that insane to take on Houston.

Currently in Buffalo, NY. Car requires:

Good steering handling (Reason, 60 to 25mph off-ramps)

Good brakes (Reason, everybody approaches a red light at full speed then emergency stop)

Good acceleration (Reason, traffic light Grand Prix and also 50-yard on-ramps)

I think the councils may run the wheel/tire/brake places and ensure the roads have enough potholes to ensure constant profit margins.

Saw 9/10ths of a Dodge Neon today in Niagra. It had no inner or outer sills, no door bottoms, no wheel arch lips and no leading edge of the hood. Impressive BMC quality corrosion.

Phil

ROFL at hire cars

for shitefest your finest shite corsa from hertz - but even hiring an estate to kip in wouldnt be much more

12 quid a day - fine - barg

the insurance - 26 quid not for the hire - A DAY

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

sixt

22 quid a day

ins was 11,50 thats better

but you only get 800 free miles (200 a day) WTF?

to tack on unlimited miles it 6 quid a day extra - why not just add that to the hire wouldnt bother paying 28 quid a day thats still reasonable

wtf are they on

for the cost of hertz i can ride the bike down pay for the b and b while there stop thursday on the way down go to haynes then pay for somewhere on the way back and still be cheaper

rented a car in usa for just over a week not including the one way charge is only 100 quid more than the uk ones

theyre all on drugs :D

I will probably have a car you can borrow for nothing

Pushed submit on my first 4000 word assignment for my PhD - a cheeky little story about rationality within management and the concept of functional stupidity

Been agonising over it for the last 2 months - hence all the car updates to distract me.

Only 5 more before I have to submit my research proposal

The sun is out and it isn't as Baltic as yesterday - so hopefully more car fettling.

Currently in Buffalo, NY. 

no i meant la :D its easier to fly to texas as its direct all the other via boston or florida meant another change also

aer limpgus go direct to new orleans but its from dub and from here thats a pita cos of the clearance thing

house prices might go down depending on what shonk they give me :lol:

have you got 22 extra coats on seeing as yer 2 secs from the canuck border and its not summer :D

Currently browsing autoshite on tapatalk while chilling poolside at Butlins Skegness. Haven't seen the kids for half an hour either. This after a large and lovely carvery at a boozer down the road. Followed by about 8 pints of hobgoblin at this tent this evening. Downside, back home tomorrow.b4d24fb74eb5593d8e61feee7fc35f5b.jpgf3248f269b1bf2e6b2ae0c6ffcc2380a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

have you got 22 extra coats on seeing as yer 2 secs from the canuck border and its not summer :D

Nope. It was quite brisk.

post-5454-0-64672400-1556463008_thumb.jpg

Short sleeve summer shirt, denim jacket- there's style. Everybody else in fleeces and fluffy pompom hats. People from the South don't know cold, they say :P

Phil

Currently in Buffalo, NY. Car requires:

Good steering handling (Reason, 60 to 25mph off-ramps)

Good brakes (Reason, everybody approaches a red light at full speed then emergency stop)

Good acceleration (Reason, traffic light Grand Prix and also 50-yard on-ramps)

I think the councils may run the wheel/tire/brake places and ensure the roads have enough potholes to ensure constant profit margins.

Saw 9/10ths of a Dodge Neon today in Niagra. It had no inner or outer sills, no door bottoms, no wheel arch lips and no leading edge of the hood. Impressive BMC  Vauxhall quality corrosion.

Phil

FIFY

Just popped round to the shop and saw three immaculate looking series i Land Rovers parked on the opposite side of the road, one with the bonnet up. Went to see if I could help with tools etc. Turns out one of the wires on the distributor had corroded and split, nipped home grabbed some connectors, wire, crimps etc and they were up and running again in no time. I didn't do the work, just supplied the bits but it's always nice to be of assistance.

My tame mechanic Jake has finally got his 4 poster installed so I took the Buick over for an inspection.

post-18019-0-81741400-1556470069_thumb.jpg

post-18019-0-81134400-1556470100_thumb.jpg

Verdict: not nearly as fucked as CT tester made out :)

Only about 800 euro fucked.

This morning Jake wrestled on two new wishbones on the van for only 70 euro :)

At that price I'm never fitting wishbones myself ever again :)

Currently browsing autoshite on tapatalk while chilling poolside at Butlins Skegness. Haven't seen the kids for half an hour either. This after a large and lovely carvery at a boozer down the road. Followed by about 8 pints of hobgoblin at this tent this evening. Downside, back home tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Does have the odd knocker does Butlins, but we had a couple of really good holidays there.