What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

I bought some parts for a cavalier off a bloke who lived in one of the more challenging estates in Bootle miseryside.

I met this guy on line at Cavweb.

He had a NOVA GTE he was restoring.

He told me, that a local scrote, had stolen it.

His job? EX military. Worked in "security".

Had mates in the same industry.

Was a nice bloke. Probably as honest as a mid summer day is long. But hard as fucking titanium nails coated in poly crystaline cubic nitride. Dipped in hard bastard juice.

He got his nova back. Nobody got hurt.

His mates asked around. Arms may have been twisted.

The scrotes mother phoned the police, when he and 5 other hard looking BASTARDS turned up to take his Nova back.

They were polite to said police, who checked their Id's and suggested that killing the scrote wasn't allowed.

They took the car home. Police turned a blind eye to lack of mot, tax and insurance for the 3 mile journey on the end of a tow rope.

I wish I could remember his name. I remember where he lived in 2004.

its a brick of fluorescent tubes  :mrgreen: (theres 10 Very rare Thorn 14W, 15 inch T12s here)

post-25614-0-11709900-1556105201_thumb.jpg

(these 10 tubes where the ones caught up in the shipping issue i grumped about in the grumpy thread, DHL actually called me to resolve the issue where I found out the ebay seller inputted my post code wrong, so top marks to DHL for calling me to resolve the issue :) )

Been dicking about for the best part of a week now trying to fix the Forester's non-functioning sidelight. New bulbs - nothing. Electrical contact cleaner - nothing. Glassfibre brush to scrape any grot off the contacts - nothing.

This morning, in a mild temper, I smacked the bugger with the heel of my hand.

It blinked on straight away.

Hopefully it'll still be working later, too.

There's more to be said for percussive maintenance than you might think...

Been dicking about for the best part of a week now trying to fix the Forester's non-functioning sidelight. New bulbs - nothing. Electrical contact cleaner - nothing. Glassfibre brush to scrape any grot off the contacts - nothing.

I had similar last week, my dad noticed I had a brake light out. So I whipped the cover off to extract the bulb so we could procure a new and correct one. However it was not blown... Refitted it and its working again! 10 minutes later with a scrap of sandpaper and every bulb removed, cleaned and refitted and a full compliment of lighting apparatus is restored!

Ha! Half the dashboard lights in my Forester only work after a quick slap.

In fact, I've currently got a sidelight out (that I replaced recently, for which you need to take the headlamp out!) so I'll go and give it some gentle persuasion in the morning.

-Simon

Swirl for the camera! a fun little phenomenon that happens in older fluorescent tubes when they are being lit for the first time, as they burn off slight contaminants and break in :) (Thorn tubes are especially known for doing it) the swirl is caused by the actual arc stream/discharge moving around

(the video quality is shit because I had to record it through a CD-R to get it to show up properly)

Went round to my usual part worn tyre man today to see

what he had and got 4 handcocks fitted for £75.

The grin ? They all have 7mm tread depth which

I reckon is as near to new as you can get.

My bank balance is grinning too.

I didn't need them yet, still 2/3 mm on what I had

but I pop in near when I might need new* to see what he has.

:-D  :-D  :-D

Swirl for the camera! a fun little phenomenon that happens in older fluorescent tubes when they are being lit for the first time, as they burn off slight contaminants and break in :) (Thorn tubes are especially known for doing it) the swirl is caused by the actual arc stream/discharge moving around

(the video quality is shit because I had to record it through a CD-R to get it to show up properly)

Often wondered what that was all about

Went round to my usual part worn tyre man today to see

what he had and got 4 handcocks fitted for £75.

The grin ? They all have 7mm tread depth which

I reckon is as near to new as you can get.

My bank balance is grinning too.

I didn't need them yet, still 2/3 mm on what I had

but I pop in near when I might need new* to see what he has.

:-D  :-D  :-D

He's grinning too because he'll sell your old ones for £18 a piece to someone who's not paying a lot of attention

Not sure if a grump or a grin..

Look what I woke upto outside the house this morning, 3 Wagons working for Severn Trent water, must be a major job broke out don't you reckon? errr no they've all come to fill in a 2ft square hole after the valve was replaced yesterday. Privatisation of our water supplies has made them much more efficient!!!52e85648f2972605779becc5956de25e.jpgd0063e34daa524f52f943b2d6a8f5c76.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

today I had the pleasure of driving a bus load of french girls into Liverpool Albert dock ....

and the lead girl decided to sit next to the driver !!!!!!!

calm down everyone  :-)

so she rushed around to the drivers door of the bus , opened it

and was greeted by a steering wheel  !!!

we drive on the left in England   ..  :-)  :-)

One of those rare occasions where a supplier cheaping out on stuff has actually worked well as far as I'm concerned.

Bought a cheap exhaust off eBay (as I'm fully intending to get a stainless system fitted at some point) to tide me over, and aside from the usual "minor fit issues" which were addressed by careful application of a 4lb lump hammer, it turns out that the silencer itself doesn't appear to actually contain any baffles.

While a lot of people probably would see this as a downside, I don't. Quite simply because it sounds bloody brilliant...Means I've a pretty good idea what sort of setup to build when I get to that stage.

Also getting a grin from having thrown a 29 year old Merc T1 in for an MOT and not having any corrosion issues flagged up...that's got to be considered a win!