What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Lucky escape on the A50 this afternoon, the wagon in front flipped up a sheet of metal about 2 foot square which frisbeed towards the Volvo at about head height, luckily it smacked the wing mirror and the only damage was a scraped mirror and a small chip on the door. A proper brown trouser moment as if it had hit about 4 inches higher it would have come straight through the window and into me at chest/ neck height. I love Volvos.

Yep. I've also got another application in progress... for another job in the area. Looks like I'm staying here for the foreseeable.

If I do actually stick with a job for a bit (I realise I'm building a bit of a reputation now) I'd like to buy a small cottage in the arse end of nowhere.

Don't worry about reputation ... Most people move around a fair bit.

More importantly you need to make sure the cottage has grounds for shitefest 21

Don't worry about reputation ... Most people move around a fair bit.

More importantly you need to make sure the cottage has grounds for shitefest 21

Well, I mentioned it in the depression thread but the other job is really interesting.

I applied for it through Indeed the other week, and was invited to a recruitment roadshow (a few people in a conference room in a hotel) which happened to be just round the corner from my current job and in the evening. I went along and had a look and an informal interview. I hope they get back to me.

The company is a small-ish (but expanding) wildlife management company who use sustainable / ethical methods rather than just poison (although poison is a last resort). They do stuff like rodent control, surveys for rare species for building / planning sort of stuff, and nuisance bird control. Oh, they use falconry for the bird control, and the job would involve full training. Including falconry. Then eventually your own bird. So the idea of moving out to the arse end of nowhere would tie in with that. Long-term stuff though. They said I'd be fine in my current terraced house with garden because the aviery is only 1m cubed. Just take the bird to a park or something to exercise it, and only on days when you aren't using it for work anyway!

The first 4 hours of this night shift have passed fairly quickly. Let's see how I feel at 7:30am...

In other "amusing rodent tales" news, eldest has gone to university and left her hamster at home, because halls.

Cleaned it out one evening, working from home the next afternoon and heard a rustling sound in my little office corner. Looked down and saw.... the hamster sat below my chair eating a bit of plastic.

It had opened the (admittedly probably not properly shut) cage, jumped about 4ft onto the sofa from the top of the bookcase, survived overnight in a house with a cat, not chewed through any cables, and then somehow missed me rolling backwards and forwards on my office chair with it's hamster-pulverising wheels. 

A few years ago my friend was visiting his in-laws and got totally wankered and had to be put to his bed.

His trousers got taken off and thrown across the room, when he woke up he picked up his jeans that turned out to be sitting on top of a hamster cage. The inside of the cage was totally blue and it seems the hamsters had been busy during the night and had eaten a good 4 inches of the bottom of his trouser leg that had been dangling through the cage .

He had to get up and face the in-laws not only after having to be put to his bed but with 4 inches of his left trouser leg missing.

Agreed value insurance...

I have no idea what my T2 is really worth and for the past couple of years I have claimed it's worth £28,000, but the insurance company has told me that its only worth twenty.

This year I sent a mega shitload of photographs and claimed twenty five.

They agreed!

Madness isn't it?

Finding that Stagecoach do a five for fiver (upto 5 people can travel together on any Stagecoach bus in South Yorkshire for five quid) ticket on Saturday,Sunday and Bank Holidays. And it's not just one journey, it's as many as you can do in a day. Pub crawls........

Ummm, not really as the V5 doesn't prove ownership. 

(Although it's not really clear what DOES prove ownership... in this case, if you did have the Fezza removed back to your driveway and have some keys cut, how would the dealer prove you've not paid for it? The lack of a receipt doesn't really hold water...)

Ummm, not really as the V5 doesn't prove ownership. 

(Although it's not really clear what DOES prove ownership... in this case, if you did have the Fezza removed back to your driveway and have some keys cut, how would the dealer prove you've not paid for it? The lack of a receipt doesn't really hold water...)

It is a grey area, I remember seeing one of those crappy Fraud programmes on the BBC where some guy had payed in cash for a car but the seller reported the car stolen. The police impounded the car and the V5 was irrelevant, what saved him was that he could show he had withdrawn an amount of cash very similar to the asking price on the ad. This seemed spurious to say the least, he could have pissed it up on anything, equally he could have been saving it £20 a month for ages so have no paper trail. They suggested always getting a written receipt and taking a picture of the seller with the car, by even that doesn’t really prove anything beyond the fact you have seen the car when the seller was there.

something something most invacars are stolen government property something something something  :mrgreen:

(although I think technically they where property of the scrapyard, just the scrap yard would of been under contract or something for them not to leave in 1 piece so it would be the scrap yard that would get the bollocking for any that escaped, although further more on that point the government washed their hands of all things invacar, so theres not a fat load they could do about it these days if they really wanted to)

I've spent the last 50 years rubbing dock leaves on the painful bit when I've been in the stingers

Today we went into the poison garden at Alnwick castle, part of the talk was about stingers and dock leaves

It's all bollocks , they don't do anything and never have, best thing to rub on it it mint toothpaste as the mint soothes it and the chemical that cleans your teeth neutralises the poison