What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

On most knives you don’t need a razor edge right at the tip of the blade, like a saw the centre 2/3 of the blade does the work.

Waiting for ALDI to get their £8 chisels in again, I’ve got loads of old GTL and Footprint chisels but some new ones would be handy for finer work.

I have an £8 set of chisels I bought in Boyes in Whitby, probably fifteen years ago.  Unopened, still just use the crap B&Q ones they were to replace.

Can you pop over and show me how to sharpen the tips of my knives? Chisels I can do with a diamond whet stone but no matter what I try the ends of my knives end up blunt :(

After watching several videos (not the one below) I bought a Japanese whetstone and find it  superb -  I do have some Japanese knives but rarely use them, my favourite is a cheap SS one from (IIRC) Sainsburys - about £8 some ten years ago - maybe more.

Stone was about £16

Honing it is about the most boring job imaginable though.

The ALDI ones are actually really good. A lot of the old chisels I have I got front car boots etc, so a lot have been neglected for years, i make sure they are flat on the base and progressively cut the face back on a dead flat surface until I get to 1200 grit then cut the edge on the whetstone at 25 deg.

On most knives you don’t need a razor edge right at the tip of the blade, like a saw the centre 2/3 of the blade does the work.

Waiting for ALDI to get their £8 chisels in again, I’ve got loads of old GTL and Footprint chisels but some new ones would be handy for finer work.

I tend to do a lot of work with the tip, I use mine rather than a stanley blade so the tip gets well used, also for slicing pallet wrap/ packaging etc i need to get the tip in to get the cut started

Haven't done that in at least ten years :)

This laptop hadn't been done in 2563 days! I run it on Windows 98 (or 95, can't remember....) for a few old games. Battery still works a treat! But the clock is wrong....

Mum is out of hospital!!! Only in a day this time, the fall has hit her hard but she seems chippa, they don’t make em like they used to....

Great news. Glad she isn't stuck in there!

Pintrest!

I thought it was a place for mad old women to share pictures of curtains, or bridezillas to passively-aggressively demand the entire contents of their wedding. But no! It turns out it's a place where copyright only exists as a vague idea so you can build up a collection of, for example, old photos of city centres full of 70s chod, proper buses and pedestrians confined to the pavement where they belong. I've just lost three hours between a Pintrest search for "1970 nottingham" and Google Street View to compare the scenes. Bliss.

Although now I feel old as much of Nottingham has been redeveloped twice in my lifetime. In the 1980s they did a load of shopping centres and put some new-fangled dual carriageways in, and now they're having to update everything because they look decidedly..... 80s.

I had, but their website nags you beyond belief for a login. Scroll down one page and it blanks out and wants your details. Used to be able to block the overlay with ad-blocker but they've changed it. Finally gave in and signed up.

Also everyone else I knew used it did so for craft stuff, just never realised I could cream myself over old snapshots of familiar places.

Done something I've not in a while today. I just went out for a drive to nowhere because why the fuck not.

This morning it was about 60 miles in the Buick, this afternoon saw about 30 miles put on the Reliant and I've just got back from a trip to see Dad in hospital (getting better) in the XM.

Now I've a gazzilion work emails to catch up on. Pastis fuelled so they'll be short and too the point and with no political correctness.

I'm very tempted to invest in a scissor lift like that for my garage. Not trailer mounted ofc but you can get them on a movable trolly type mechanism.

Anyone got experience of them and if they're as useful as they look?

My friend Pete has just installed one, he has limited height so it lifts 1m max. Not had a chance to use it yet, but will get feedback when he does

My friend Pete has just installed one, he has limited height so it lifts 1m max. Not had a chance to use it yet, but will get feedback when he does

I'd love a 2 post lift but like many I have limited lift height. A metre up is way better than anything that can be done with jacks and stands. Definitely keep us up to date on how he gets on.

Also would be useful to know what model of lift he has too.