What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Two things.

I spotted a couple of years old Range Rover thing with Mike Brewer Car Sales reg plate the other day. I just laughed and thought that it would be the first thing I would bin.

Secondly I have discovered that a Puffin chick is called a Puffling. I thought that was just ace.

Already had an email back wanting to talk figures and length of potential tenancy "to put to the owner", so not quite sure where to go from there... Tenancy length, 2 ways of looking at it, a longer one = stable income for landlord over x years, but if i'm getting it discounted, they might not want that if they feel they could get more for it in a year...which given my plans to refurb, i'd be at risk of.

Money wise... i have no idea, If the owner is only willing to take 5% off, i'd probably come across a bit of a belter if i offered 30% less., likewise if i offered more and he accepted, i'd feel stupid for not offering less, to be honest it's going to be more than i can really afford even with a massive discount, but, y'know, risk v reward... all about just reducing the risk of financial ruin as much as possible for as long as possible!

Annoying self quote inbound...

After a very brief discussion with the previous tenant and finding out he's not the landlord, i got back in touch with the agent putting a proposal to him to discuss with the owner, i think it's fair and i'm pretty much in the category of it being my one and only offer, it'll probably be a no but it's as far as i can push it at this stage tbh, so if it is a no, it's not for me. But the fact i have any wheels in motion (for now) after years of looking and no joy still makes me grin.

For those of you with Amazon prime

This weeks Grand Tour, about 1/3 of the show is about Jim Clark and his achievements and it's fascinating

Imp Jr accidently put the Grand Tour on the other day when he was trying to put Leo the Truck on or some other shite.

As soon as he saw it was about cars he pretended that he'd put it on for me.

It was the ones where they were acting like pratts in Columbia and it wasn't too bad.

On the contrary I watched an episode of Top Gear from 2014 yesterday afternoon and it was barely watchable it was so terrible.

I have watched a few episodes of the Grand Tour if I thought they had something I'd be interested in on them and they've been pretty crap but maybe they've got their shite together with it now, or are the normal studio ones still embarrassing?

Basic cars !!!

Now I drive all sorts of cars every day , most fairly modern and with varying degrees of complexity . But I miss the simplicity of one thing the most - A THREE KNOB HEATER !

I picked up the rover 200 from fatsharris last week and it all came flooding back to me . So simple , so tactile , stays on the function you left it at etc .

Why did it ever stray away from this ? The later 306’s had climate control with this set up , that’s all you need surely .?

My c5 took long enough to get used to let alone the touch screen abominations

Basic cars !!!

Now I drive all sorts of cars every day , most fairly modern and with varying degrees of complexity . But I miss the simplicity of one thing the most - A THREE KNOB HEATER !

I picked up the rover 200 from fatsharris last week and it all came flooding back to me . So simple , so tactile , stays on the function you left it at etc .

Why did it ever stray away from this ? The later 306’s had climate control with this set up , that’s all you need surely .?

My c5 took long enough to get used to let alone the touch screen abominations

It's the fiddly little digital climate controls that bother me, particularly the ones that move in increments of 0.5 degrees c per push of the button or need to hold for an age to get it to move... nobody needs to be that precise with their temperature and they are nearly always located low down. Going from that to a big dial you don't even need to look at is always a joy.

That caravan is older than the hills! I hope it's been refurbished inside if you are paying money to stay in it!

Well it's a bit rough inside but we got it cheap.

4E6D5F9E00000578-0-image-m-13_1532075167940-768x512.jpeg

Naah, that's a before. It's quite nice now although not as cool as the guy's wooden wagon we stayed in before..

4E6D5FEC00000578-0-image-a-14_1532075173813.jpeg

2000 man hours to restore it after dragging it out of the woods on the family farm.

derelict-caravan-turned-into-quirky-holiday-home-devon-uk-jul-2018-shutterstock-editorial-9776235n.jpeg

The hot tub was also dragged out of the woods

4E6D701600000578-0-image-m-68_1532076799190.jpeg

The last time I went abroad you still saw Toyota Paseos and Jimmy Saville was still diddlling kids... Which means I need a passport interview.

The Hull office don't interview on a weekend, Leeds do and I can have it at 8:15am next Saturday or 3:45pm. I know they're just a formality, but this confirmation email tickled me.

So, what you're saying is some people have brought scissors to a passport interview?

Does the delay involve getting locked up for 6 months?

How do I apply for a job as an interviewer, I bet they see some weird people.

I had the interview, any questions?

Yes, on the email. How many people bring scissors?

"You'd be surprised, what people bring to an interview"

It went ok, she said "the interview questions people have put online. Like "they asked me about my goldfish" is nonsense "

Assuming I don't get arrested or rejected, it was fine.

Basic cars !!!

Absolutely! The turny dial or slidey knob (stop it) is perfectly acceptable functionality in a vehicle. A three speed fan is adequate. Heated seats are a nonsense. Reversing sensors an extravagance. Touchscreen dashboards a danger...

post-5335-0-20195600-1549733980_thumb.jpg

It's the fiddly little digital climate controls that bother me, particularly the ones that move in increments of 0.5 degrees c per push of the button or need to hold for an age to get it to move... nobody needs to be that precise with their temperature and they are nearly always located low down. Going from that to a big dial you don't even need to look at is always a joy.

As silly as it seems, this is an annoyance of VAG stuff to me. We've had two - a 3.2 MKI TT sportscar* and a Seet Exeo diesel estate loadcarrier* - both are fine cars in their own way, but the clickety-click, half a degree, randomly un-synchronising, two zone ACC was sufficiently irritating to make me not want another one.

Imp Jr accidently put the Grand Tour on the other day when he was trying to put Leo the Truck on or some other shite.

As soon as he saw it was about cars he pretended that he'd put it on for me.

It was the ones where they were acting like pratts in Columbia and it wasn't too bad.

On the contrary I watched an episode of Top Gear from 2014 yesterday afternoon and it was barely watchable it was so terrible.

I have watched a few episodes of the Grand Tour if I thought they had something I'd be interested in on them and they've been pretty crap but maybe they've got their shite together with it now, or are the normal studio ones still embarrassing?

It's much better this series , episode 5 was very good, even the rich mans SUV test was worth watching but the Jim Clark 20 minutes actually got me quite emotional, especially when I recognised him driving round oulton park.

Annoying squealing wiper spindle returned today, everyone was saying "it's the wiper m8 you lift it off and it shuts up dunnit.." Yeah, course it does because there is no sodding pressure on the spindle then.

Anyway some ACF50 in the limited gap I can get into the driver windscreen wiper spindle, a minute with wipers on, and nice and silent.

maxresdefault.jpg

Must be the evening for it. Skoda was doing this. Sadly, it's pissing it down so much here that sorting it can be a job for another day.

Which means I will forget until the next time I drive it in the rain...

Annoying squealing wiper spindle returned today, everyone was saying "it's the wiper m8 you lift it off and it shuts up dunnit.." Yeah, course it does because there is no sodding pressure on the spindle then.

Anyway some ACF50 in the limited gap I can get into the driver windscreen wiper spindle, a minute with wipers on, and nice and silent.

maxresdefault.jpg

If I mixed a solution of ketchup and 10w30 engine oil (40/60 proportion) and fired it at your screen with a tennis ball cannon how long would it take for the wipers to clear it?