What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Huawei P20 Pro.

Expensive just now, but it's just been replaced as their flagship by the Mate 20, so wait a bit and prices will drop substantially I'd expect. I'd not have touched it save for having been offered it as an upgrade on my contract which I haggled down to costing me less than before I walked into the store.

I jumped ship four years back to a P9 after getting really fed up with stupid issues that Samsung hadn't fixed in three generations of handset (working alarm clock for one!), and having heard good things from a friend who had one - and being an engineer the first thing he did was take it apart! Altogether a far more polished feeling product than the Samsung handsets I'd had before.

So far I've had zip in the way of issues with either of my Huawei phones, Samsung's had me back in the shop several times during their lifetimes and never worked 100%...and aside from wanting a decent camera I'm not a demanding user really. Though I really do need to find a way to test the limits of what the hardware in this thing can do.

Huawei's top end handsets are one of the best examples of Chinese companies showing that they actually can make bloody good gear when they put their minds to it. Rigol have been starting to worry some of the big names in the electronic test gear market in the last few years for the same reason...

Just checked them out on the web, look class. Going to go to town after and look at one in real life. Cheers for the heads up.

Horse trailer.

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1545473239163.jpg

Reminds me of when my step-aunt's late partner bought her a life-size fibreglass pig for Christmas (as you do). He stood the pig up in the bed of his old Sherpa pickup, strapped it down and set off. It must have looked very realistic as he was soon pulled over by the rozzers. "Sorry sir, you can't transport that animal like that". "You do realise it's not real?". "Oh. Well it's attracting too much attention so maybe you should transport it a different way". With that he put the pig in the cab and continued on his way, once the copper had been on the radio to tell his colleagues not to be alarmed by it.

Just imagine a battered old orange Sherpa driving through the middle of a busy town with what looks like a live pig either strapped in the back or sharing the cab with the driver. He got some funny looks for sure!

Reminds me of when my step-aunt's late partner bought her a life-size fibreglass pig for Christmas (as you do). He stood the pig up in the bed of his old Sherpa pickup, strapped it down and set off. It must have looked very realistic as he was soon pulled over by the rozzers. "Sorry sir, you can't transport that animal like that". "You do realise it's not real?". "Oh. Well it's attracting too much attention so maybe you should transport it a different way". With that he put the pig in the cab and continued on his way, once the copper had been on the radio to tell his colleagues not to be alarmed by it.

Just imagine a battered old orange Sherpa driving through the middle of a busy town with what looks like a live pig either strapped in the back or sharing the cab with the driver. He got some funny looks for sure!

Someone I used to work with transported her herd of sheep (live ones) in her 205, think she could get 4 in at a time..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Last day in work tomorrow is being taught how to defend lunatics who are trying to kill me, thumbs in eyeballs n stuff , early dart at 2 pm apparently then off for 10 days. 

Sounds great being off but all the stress I've been hiding away for the last year will resurface around day 5 and fucking destroy me, there's always booze though  :mrgreen:

I've not had to do C&R/PST3 Since changing jobs in may. I know exactly what you mean about the 5 day thing or day before work. Mrs sills always called it my work funk and left me be for the day. As i kicked things, got restless and generally grumped around. All behind me now though. And very happy in life. Take care of yourself!

See, I'd love to look at that and just nocholantly class it as an easy job and nothing to be afraid of! Cap doffed sir

Cheers mate, You just have to break down jobs that you think are daunting, it's the psychological part that stops people doing many tasks which they would be able to do

This phone is a good bit of hardware.  The camera in particular keeps surprising me, though in particular the low light performance is just nuts.

It's basically pitch dark outside, I can just about see a bit of a glow from the sky because of the joys of living in town...but that's it.

Camera can see rather more...

attachicon.gifIMG_20181221_210250.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20181221_210654.jpg

I know how they've done it (composite image based on probably a few hundred frames and some very clever AI to stitch them together), but it still doesn't make it any less impressive to me.

I then fell over the dog because I couldn't see anything snapping this at the top of the stairs.

attachicon.gifIMG_20181221_212223.jpg

Light source there is a tiny night light on the landing and some spill through from above one window over a door at the far end of the hallway.

Got one today, how did you find setting it up? Mine's been a complete bastard as can't connect to emails etc :(

When I brought Carruthers the skeleton home he sat in the front of the truck cab Land Rover, with his seat belt on, through the centre of Cardiff. To make him less conspicuous I swapped his pith helmet for a flat cap. It was a bit disconcerting when his head swivelled atound to look at me.

I have been doing up old science equipment and donating it to local schools for a while and got a skeleton with two broken legs and broken shoulder joint given to me to repair. I was driving the MGB GT at the time so,put it in the passenger seat. I got so many funny looks I was tempted to buy one and put it there for a laugh now and again. I also carried a Reuben’s tube in the MX5 with the roof down, it’s a six foot long aluminium tube with a handle at each end. That got some really weird looks too.

This phone is a good bit of hardware.  The camera in particular keeps surprising me, though in particular the low light performance is just nuts.

It's basically pitch dark outside, I can just about see a bit of a glow from the sky because of the joys of living in town...but that's it.

Camera can see rather more...

attachicon.gifIMG_20181221_210250.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20181221_210654.jpg

I know how they've done it (composite image based on probably a few hundred frames and some very clever AI to stitch them together), but it still doesn't make it any less impressive to me.

I then fell over the dog because I couldn't see anything snapping this at the top of the stairs.

attachicon.gifIMG_20181221_212223.jpg

Light source there is a tiny night light on the landing and some spill through from above one window over a door at the far end of the hallway.

That is some seriously impressive low-light performance for a telephone.  I did an upgrade on Thursday and did think about a Mate 20, but they're still a bit expensive.  I looked at a Mate 20 Lite but that didn't seem to be in the same league performance-wise.  Went for a Sony XZ3 in the end, which is a bloody good phone in a lot of ways but the camera is no more than decent - although still way better than my previous phone.

I had asked the Amazon thing in the kitchen to play Christmas music.

Halfway through some classics the wife hollers from the living room

ALEXA, PLAY DANZIG - MOTHER

So now I'm baking Christmas cookies to rock music instead.

Phil

Bought my old man one of them for Christmas. Are they any good? Can I get it to play music through other devices etc or does it all come via that. For instance, can I get it to play 'insert song here' on the non amazon bluetooth speaker in the kitchen etc?

What else do you use it for? 

Also, can you change it's name as I don't like Alexa. 

No, it's Alexa, that's it's call word.

But yes, you can do that. You can tell the speaker which room it's in, then tell Alexa to play music in the living room.

It's pretty good actually. You can train it to your voice so it knows who's speaking; you can also have it so it'll only work if you tell it please...

Phil