What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

I've had a day off. It's been lovely! Spent nearly all of it on the sofa, catching up with Roadkill and other Motor Trend stuff (having re-commenced by subscription). Yet, I still managed to give the 2CV a grease session (and film it), chop up some pallet wood for the fire and get a new video live. I don't think I'm very good at relaxing...

M'Coli, don't get too excited. I've worked in offices where I'm the only bloke and it was the most poisonous, backstabbing environment I've ever been in. Some of them made no secret of their belief that it was not an environment for a man to be in and that I should really look somewhere else for work. At one placement they took so much exception to me being there that they complained to my agency who were baffled, since it contradicted all the reports from other placements I'd been on and, of course, was entirely baseless accusations.

I'm not going to! I've worked in an office where it was 10:1 women:men, and that wasn't that pleasant. I have been working in an office with a 1:4 ratio for the past year which is alright, & was expecting this office to have a similar paucity of talent, but it made my day to be working amongst a plethora of lovely ladies.

Russet apples are one of my favourites. Never viewed them as potato like though. Perhaps I should...

I've eaten about 8kg of russets since the beginning of November. Found a little greengrocer locally that sells them for £1 a kilo bag. Shame they're at the end of their season now. I'm unimpressed with most imported fruit and newer varieties of apple so I do a year's worth of fruit in about 2 months.

Very good healthy option for sure. And the quality and price sure is a help to the local business. Win win in my book.

As for us we have an orchard that is still selling fruit it's just got round to taking out of the cold store. Tastes as fresh as the day the fruit was picked!

Three men are on a boat. They have four cigarettes, but nothing to light them with.

So they throw a cigarette overboard and the whole boat becomes a cigarette lighter...

Inside I'm screaming and hyperventillating from that wonderful* play on words.

This phone is a good bit of hardware.  The camera in particular keeps surprising me, though in particular the low light performance is just nuts.

It's basically pitch dark outside, I can just about see a bit of a glow from the sky because of the joys of living in town...but that's it.

Camera can see rather more...

post-21985-0-91323000-1545430484_thumb.jpg

post-21985-0-35410300-1545430504_thumb.jpg

I know how they've done it (composite image based on probably a few hundred frames and some very clever AI to stitch them together), but it still doesn't make it any less impressive to me.

I then fell over the dog because I couldn't see anything snapping this at the top of the stairs.

post-21985-0-27524800-1545430618_thumb.jpg

Light source there is a tiny night light on the landing and some spill through from above one window over a door at the far end of the hallway.

That's quite astonishing. I'll be in the market for a new phone in the New Year. What is it?

Pretty sure it's a Huwawei. Brother has one and produces the same picture! Makes use of three cameras at once. what will they think of next?

That's quite astonishing. I'll be in the market for a new phone in the New Year. What is it?

Huawei P20 Pro.

Expensive just now, but it's just been replaced as their flagship by the Mate 20, so wait a bit and prices will drop substantially I'd expect.  I'd not have touched it save for having been offered it as an upgrade on my contract which I haggled down to costing me less than before I walked into the store.

I jumped ship four years back to a P9 after getting really fed up with stupid issues that Samsung hadn't fixed in three generations of handset (working alarm clock for one!), and having heard good things from a friend who had one - and being an engineer the first thing he did was take it apart!  Altogether a far more polished feeling product than the Samsung handsets I'd had before.

So far I've had zip in the way of issues with either of my Huawei phones, Samsung's had me back in the shop several times during their lifetimes and never worked 100%...and aside from wanting a decent camera I'm not a demanding user really.  Though I really do need to find a way to test the limits of what the hardware in this thing can do.

Huawei's top end handsets are one of the best examples of Chinese companies showing that they actually can make bloody good gear when they put their minds to it.  Rigol have been starting to worry some of the big names in the electronic test gear market in the last few years for the same reason...

....Huawei's top end handsets are one of the best examples of Chinese companies showing that they actually can make bloody good gear when they put their minds to it....

I wonder if they include some kind of remote spying for Chinese Government "research"?

I wonder if they include some kind of remote spying for Chinese Government "research"?

No doubt, but Google already knows everything I'm doing so I really don't care, let's face it, every handset out there probably has a way for Big Brother to watch anyway these days. I've nothing to hide anyhow.

It works well and that's what I'm most interested in.

Let's face it, the Chinese government know absolutely everything about me anyway from trying to get my husband out of the country back in September when he was there on business and had a damned stroke!

I used to worry about who was watching what I was doing back when I was a student, but life's too damn short to worry about stuff like that these days.