What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

I'm 23 today. :-)

I'm getting at least a shite-related hat, some new keys for the GTi, and a new wallet as mine is fucked and my cards keep falling out. There could be more, who knows. I'm going for a meal with my parents and seeing Bohemian Rhapsody, then I'm off out in the evening. I have a friend that can guestlist me for a club in the city and a couple of offers of places to sleep, so it's not a bad idea.

should be an alright day.

Have fun.

indeed its a BLI 2ft 40W Red Tube made for the MOD :) (hence why its mostly un branded) I got 2 of these plus 2 GEC made versions from Claire Pendrous a few years ago (im guessing the MOD was dual sourcing) for those who dont know Thorn owned BLI

post-25614-0-84074400-1541851714_thumb.jpg

you know how in films when a ship gets attacked and all the lights go Red? well your looking at that :)

I also have some Crompton incandescent versions made out of proper Dark red ruby red glass that looks almost black when off which produces a lovely deep red colour when lit that no camera can photograph properly

post-25614-0-23756100-1541852094_thumb.jpg

What's the reason for the red? I have no doubt you will know the answer!

IIRC its to due with night time operations and how apparently the human eyeball adjusts the quickest from (dim) red to low light situations

say if a submarine has to come up to the surface at night you dont want to have to step outside and have to wait for your eyes to adjust etc

Had a team meeting. Boss waited for a quiet moment to have a chat

"Pillock*", he said, "how many work miles do you do in your company provided car? Only the requirement is 20k a year and without checking I don't think you do... They're going to be looking at some cost savings soon and they might be taking it off you"

I don't think he was expecting me to say "Oooh, fab, they can have it back whenever they like!" It was a bit of a deal breaker when I got the job, I was leaving another job with a car and didn't have the cash to buy one myself that would reliably do 3 hour commutes. Effectively I told him without a car, I wouldn't take the job.

Two years on, finances have eased and I'm a bit bored of it. It's got another 8 months on lease, it's a slightly baggy 80k BMW F21 and actually I'd like the freedom to have an auto, or something quicker, or actually anything I can choose myself.

Also helps I'd go to 40p/mile instead of 10p so I'd be quids in on the expenses at typically 1000 business miles a month.

Only downside is he's asked me not to give it back until asked, as soon as I mention it the others will also find themselves under scrutiny.

Greece is so cheap for a Euro affiliated country. Today I have bought:

A large coffee

A chicken wrap

A honey and chocolate bar of some kind. It was big.

One smoothie blended in front of me.

One smoothie blended in a bottle which I then bought.

2 litres of water.

Two prepackaged Greek snack bars.

This hasn't even cost me €10. I've been eating out and struggled to spend more than €16 for three courses and drink. The serving sizes were frankly obscene too.

Greece is so cheap for a Euro affiliated country. Today I have bought:

A large coffee

A chicken wrap

A honey and chocolate bar of some kind. It was big.

One smoothie blended in front of me.

One smoothie blended in a bottle which I then bought.

2 litres of water.

Two prepackaged Greek snack bars.

This hasn't even cost me €10. I've been eating out and struggled to spend more than €16 for three courses and drink. The serving sizes were frankly obscene too.

This could well explain why the country is broke!

Yeah there isn't many new new cars about. Only police car has been a unmarked gold C4 coupe with a blue beacon on it. Likewise the only doctors car was an Almera saloon...

The army seem to go around in ancient licence built G classes (ELBO I believe).

There is a lot of homelessness and signs of serious poverty still. However there is stuff actually being built, they are finally giving Thessaloniki a metro system, although I'm not sure how long it's going to take.

It's still a nice place though.