What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

When do we get photos of your fractionation rig?

Too late I'm afraid. Just this afternoon I took the coil down and stretched it out because it was very lop sided and was harbouring some pretty nasty water. Good thing I cannot smell at the moment. To essentially do what I needed I put the smoke pipe into a pot of water and it began bubbling away condensing stuff. Proof of concept. Also discovered a hold had opened up on the bottom of the can. Great. Next time I'll use straight pipeslike this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o5M6v1eD4I which works surprisingly well.

The product will have to be fractionally distilled which would be out of my current scope.

This was a very early arrmept which relied on the coil pressure to hold the lid down. Not particularly useful or good.

post-26454-0-40718700-1539455225_thumb.jpg

The tar like crude oil that was dripping out the pipe when I tool the lid off. It's a mixture of bitumin, paraffin and other lovely stuff. Burns bright too.

post-26454-0-61434200-1539455241_thumb.jpg

Got an email off the landlord of a unit I've been trying to rent for a while, they were being a bit funny with the lease terms etc but finally they seem to have caved.

Potentially a big life change coming - starting a business, somewhat shitting myself but now really is the time to do it, I'll regret it forever if I don't. 

Really looking forward to being able to set up a proper workshop and not be constrained by the confines of my current job, and actually do what I can do, properly. I'll also have plenty of room to store various crap cars which is a bonus.

On top of that, tomorrow I'm off camping in the Talbot for a couple of days. First stop is a farmers field about 45 minutes walk from a place that cooked the best burger I've ever had, then on Monday I'm over to Edale to walk up kinder scout etc, most likely followed by plenty more pub food.

I also figured out why there was a bit of a rattle coming from the mazdas passenger door - the locking solenoid was just flapping around, both retaining screws had vanished :(

IMG_5585.JPG

That's better, it actually locks the door now :)

IMG_5586.JPG

Not quite sure why I need central locking on a track car but it works so can stay for now.

Central locking ?

Can you also open the boot without taking the ignition key out of the ignition lock ?

Do you have air bags?

Do you have electrickery Windows?

How very decadent.

Good luck, Cobblers hope it works out for you.

Yesterday, whilst driving back from Whitchurch (Shropshire) down the A41 in my Transit, someone sort of quarter pulled out on me in a car. I wasn't going that fast at this point, so had time to either stop if they came right out, or go round them if they stopped. They stopped, so I went round them and looked in my mirror and what seemed like ages afterwards, they pulled out. Must have been maybe 100 yards behind me when the road was clear, then zoomed right up my arse end and kept doing that thing where they're right in your right hand mirror checking to see what's coming the other way. I wouldn't mind if this was just occasionally, but they'd pull back in behind me (clearly having seen the constant flow of traffic coming the other way) then literally seconds later were looking to overtake again. Bare in mind I'm doing the speed limit for the road and it's notoriously bad, so his attempted manoeuvres are pointless.

Then I decided to just let everyone out of junctions in front of me, which was ace as it was really busy and hopefully just pissed him off even more as he was constantly on the verge of the white lines zooming up behind me.

Trading Standards aren't public-facing. They're the government body responsible for mass enforcement such as raiding warehouses full of exploding tellytubby dolls. Public contact Citizens Advice who will suggest going to the seller first, and then small claims court.

Trading Standards would only get involved if the dealer was deliberately knocking out hundreds of cars a month with faults.

Might I ask who you think pays for the CAB?

I ONLY ask because it has finite resources and it's very clear what steps should be taken and they will probably say the same.

Dontbwate their time if you have access to the answer already.

Good luck, Cobblers hope it works out for you.

Yesterday, whilst driving back from Whitchurch (Shropshire) down the A41 in my Transit, someone sort of quarter pulled out on me in a car. I wasn't going that fast at this point, so had time to either stop if they came right out, or go round them if they stopped. They stopped, so I went round them and looked in my mirror and what seemed like ages afterwards, they pulled out. Must have been maybe 100 yards behind me when the road was clear, then zoomed right up my arse end and kept doing that thing where they're right in your right hand mirror checking to see what's coming the other way. I wouldn't mind if this was just occasionally, but they'd pull back in behind me (clearly having seen the constant flow of traffic coming the other way) then literally seconds later were looking to overtake again. Bare in mind I'm doing the speed limit for the road and it's notoriously bad, so his attempted manoeuvres are pointless.

Then I decided to just let everyone out of junctions in front of me, which was ace as it was really busy and hopefully just pissed him off even more as he was constantly on the verge of the white lines zooming up behind me.

Its very satisfying isnt it! When I went to my dad's last we were all pooling along the a421 at 65/70 in l2, it was quite busy. Then Mr BMW came shooting through, flashing everyone out of the way and came behind me. I could sense the anger in his eyes. I could go nowhere, wafting past 4 lorries with cars infront of me, then he started flashing.

I then see a poor learner behind the first lorry... Flash flash, cheery wave from the instructor and I happily slowed down to 50 to let this learner out.

Mr BMW went apocalyptic at this point. I pulled over when I could 3 miles later and he shot past. 1 Mile later we got to the black cat and I sailed past him in l1 to turn left onto the a1

Prick

If there's one thing that guarantees I stick to the speed limit (minus a little for safety) it's someone sitting so close they could change the numberplate light bulbs without stretching

It's petty I know but I do this or lower if I know they can't get past. Some people think it's okay to be a dick so they deserve to be dicked back.

Going along the route I used to take to work for 10 or so years the other day. Some bell in a range rover does the usual and takes the wrong lane on a roundabout passing 4-5 cars on the inside and carves in behind me then proceeds to sit right on my arse as he failed to get past.

Knowing the roads well I trundle along the bits where getting past is impossible and knowing that bits where over taking is possible are coming up I pick up speed so he can't get past as I don't think he knew the roads. Hands in the air and weaving around trying to get past,

After about 6 miles of this his dick headness actually calmed down and think he accepted the fact he wasn't getting past me and my clapped out disco and for the next mile or so he drove normally behind me. Why couldn't he just drove like that the whole time?

Central locking ?

Can you also open the boot without taking the ignition key out of the ignition lock ?

Do you have air bags?

Do you have electrickery Windows?

How very decadent.

My grin is GM thought of that on my car and you can pull the key out of the ignition without having to switch it off.

Simple solution. You can also then switch the car off without the key if you need to.

And back on.

Hah.

Phil

(...though that might go towards the reason it's fairly expensive to insure)

If there's one thing that guarantees I stick to the speed limit (minus a little for safety) it's someone sitting so close they could change the numberplate light bulbs without stretching

You're also technically in the right, because the highway code suggests that if someone tailgates you, slow down until you can maintain a safe speed that you can stop for them also, or they can pass.

I'll just give a glance in the mirror and pop the cruise control on and then from there on, ignore them.

It saves the headache of worrying about them because no, you getting up close won't make me go faster BECAUSE THERE'S A CAR IN FRONT SONG THE SAME SPEED.

Though, to be fair, these days it's mostly people who can't judge distance or the speed of the car in front of them unless they're right up on the rear bumper.

Phil

I think previously I've had a go at people who bother putting stickers on saying "the closer you get, the slower I go" (usually quite small stickers so you have to be close to read them). Just to be clear, I'm talking about sticking to the limit or thereabouts... people who drop to a ridiculously low speed can still get fucked. 

But that's getting dangerously close to a grump so let's even it up. I got a screw last night..... sadly it was in my tyre, not in the bedroom. Came out to go shopping this morning and it's flat, so took t'other car. Returned, got the compressor out the boot and as it's going up I can hear it going back down again but it held long enough to do 3 miles to the tyre place (dropping 10psi in the process!)

"Can you do puncture repairs?" "Yes, we can. Pop it in..." and the guy puts his lunch down and immediately cracks on. Barely had time to flick through a dog-eared Car magazine and he's handing me the locking wheelnut back. "Oh, are you going to phone up for authorisation later?".... "No sir, it's not worth the time. Taken five minutes, and we've seen you in here plenty of times getting tyres fitted. Just have a nice day"

He interrupted his lunch, recognised a returning customer and sorted me out. And he called me Sir! So I popped over the road and got him some beers, hopefully he'll have a nice day too.

Not a grump, I'm quite happy to keep the speed limit. Plus, rolling along at a steady speed improves my fuel economy.

Though, I think there's something in physics because I'm sure a car on your rear quarter (not directly behind) decreases the aerodynamic drag on your car because I've seen the cruise control back off and the economy figures go up a few mpg in that instance

Save some pennies :)

Phil

It's ten years today since I started my current career.

We all like to moan about work, and there have been some big ups and downs, but overall it's a brilliant job - especially compared to the shitty short-term, low-paid jobs I was doing in a failing industry beforehand.  I've met some really brilliant people and most days I do something worthwhile.

There are twenty-nine years to go before I can retire and I expect I'll change jobs within the organisation but I don't intend to ever leave.

My ex-gaffer popped in for a visit during the week. I've spoken often of his Rover collection but I don't think I've managed a decent photo of this one yet.

It started life as a K-series powered manual 416 Tourer with the bubble R3 interior, but now has a decat a Honda D16 mated to an auto 'box, with the full black half leather SEi interior from an earlier R8; it was entirely rebuilt with new panels where necessary, along with a full bare shell respray into Nightfire red.

I am informed that it goes "much better than it ever did with a K-series".89f8a3e9cf02c571f2afe86edaedb169.jpgfba093012174192c80a93a1f65a25805.jpg4806c784a8ee23909cf1b1424ba3b333.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Are you doing wood gasification as a feedstock? I had assumed you were recovering volatiles from crossfuel or old oil mix!

Oh I can and I have. Very interesting it is. More planning to be done however, such as making a good, straight coil.

Could you not diy a Liebig condensor with 15 & 22mm copper and a couple if reducing T's?

I'm struggling to think of a way to create a fractionating column...SOC might have an idea.

There are lots of ways, the most reliable would be use electrical heating elements and rig them up with simple rheostat controllers to set each temperature you want. As long as there are reasonable gaps in the temperatures of the fractions you want then a home made bubble plate type fractionation column would work. There are so many other ways you could do,it but that’s the simplest way I can think of where I would trust what comes out. If purity was critical you would then distill the fraction to be sure.