What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

I was out in the mazda earlier, sun shining, roof down, very pleasant. I stopped at the services, was only nipping in for a piss so left the roof down, got back to the car and was horrified yet very relieved to see my wallet lying wide open on the drivers seat, must have fallen out of my stupid trousers in my haste for bladder relief.

I call that a bloody lucky escape :)

Watched one of dollywobblers videos on youtube.

The one where he went to wolverhampton for a part.

When he left the weather was clement. When he returned it was snow everywhere.

It must have been a big job - it lasted from autumn to winter.

Ah yes. When we got 'only travel if your journey is essential.' Well, it was Cannock, so it was.

They were broken again by bedtime. Suspect better remaking needs to happen!

Silver soldering?

More likely made with shitty lead-free solder that is prone to dry joints and cracking easily. Needs a hotter temperature than the poisonous* stuff we grew up with to make it flow well.

More likely made with shitty lead-free solder that is prone to dry joints and cracking easily. Needs a hotter temperature than the poisonous* stuff we grew up with to make it flow well.

I was having to hold the soldering iron on it for a bloody long time before it'd eventually go molten. I might see if I can talk my electrician pals to have a go as they have magnifying glasses, better torches and better skills. As it happens, weather got warmer today. Sorted!

Probably both. That looks like an MG dashboard, so it'll probably have more soundproofing, the later Verto clutch, and a 3.44 diff rather than the 3.7 or 3.9 in a cooking 998 Metro. One of the last mk1s, is it?

Yep, fancy MG and a very late Mk I.

I remember mine being really rather loud - to the extent that you heard more gearbox than engine, especially when you were giving it the full beans on a twisty road. Downright addictive it was too. Especially with the way it went round corners...and the forward planning the un-servoed brakes required at times.

Yes...I'd buy it back tomorrow if whoever I sold it to hadn't apparently scrapped it months after I sold it.

I was having to hold the soldering iron on it for a bloody long time before it'd eventually go molten. I might see if I can talk my electrician pals to have a go as they have magnifying glasses, better torches and better skills. As it happens, weather got warmer today. Sorted!

If it's not urgent, stuff it in a box and send it over this way and I can give it the once over for you.

I found lead soldier in Wilco earlier in the year, apparently the ban on lead soldier was in electronics not a total ban.

You're not supposed to mix lead-free solder onto lead soldered assemblies. Just new assemblies are supposed to be lead-free. Hence why you still can get both. Lead-free soldering isn't hard or difficult. Just most cheap hobbist kit is marginal to get up to temperature for lead solder, let alone lead-free.

Interesting that the gearbox whine on this one (1.3) was way, way quieter than on my old 998cc one. Different gearbox innards? Or this car being a 1984 example likely to have some additional sound deadening that my 1981 example lacked?

The gearboxes were certainly more audible once the front floorpans had disintegrated.

On the manners and educating the youngsters - munchkin turned grump to grin bless him. We are on the Metro 1st stop, so sit and chill for the 7 stops to school, watching the car fill up. I always show him that men have manners and humans always attempt to pay attention to their surroundings.... I fail often, but hopefully he's better at it than I am. 

This morning it started filling up, so we stood to allow two ladies to sit instead...... cue the 30's bloke barging past munchkin to take one of the free seats. Munchkin stood his ground! Right in the guys face and pointed out in French that he'd vacated the place for the lady - as that's what men do...... guy pretended he didn't speak French - so he was informed in English, Dutch and then German too....... I couldn't stop laughing - along with others in the Metro. 

Then a lump in my throat as the ladies both thanked him and he replied - probably not all his fault, his daddy didn't teach him the right things. 

Job done - I shall now abandon him to schoolfriends, internet, games and other external influences - it can only be downhill from here.

When i was a cool*  teenager aged 13 or so until i leared to drive, my bike of choice was a Moulton Deluxe i bought of an old lady.  I loved that bike, in fact i still have its remains under a bush somehere.  Today i got  another. 1 owner from new in 1970, been in a shed for about 40 years.  I am super pleased with it, and I don't really like bikes...nor cyclists. :)  its very "me" though.

post-4577-0-55493000-1539257104_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-46142000-1539257144_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-04958100-1539257205_thumb.jpg

Moulton designed the rubber suspension system on Mini and then later the hydrolastic suspension on 1100 /allegro etc.   There is even a link to shite  :)

When i was a cool*  teenager aged 13 or so until i leared to drive, my bike of choice was a Moulton Deluxe i bought of an old lady.  I loved that bike, in fact i still have its remains under a bush somehere.  Today i got  another. 1 owner from new in 1970, been in a shed for about 40 years.  I am super pleased with it, and I don't really like bikes...nor cyclists. :)  its very "me" though.

attachicon.gifmoulton 3.jpg

attachicon.gifmoulton2.jpg

attachicon.gifmoulton.jpg

Moulton designed the rubber suspension system on Mini and then later the hydrolastic suspension on 1100 /allegro etc.   There is even a link to shite  :)

There is one other "unfashionable" brand of bicycle that I can vaguely remember: Bickerton, which I think was a folding bike - looked quite ungainly when unfolded.

My mum had one too - although it was never ever used..... it just sat there. I had a Raleigh Burner and an old Racing frame from my uncle - used them to potter about when back in UK, down to the seafront and along to shields to visit old haunts. Mum was scrapping a brass bed.... !!! Told the guy to take 'all the crap in the shed too' - of course it was almost emptied. 

Dad went nuts and I wasn't best happy. Her Moulton had literally done zero miles! 

I have a Moulton, although it's badged as a Triang.  It's a Mini so a little on the small side for my lanky frame (I didn't realise from the eBay pics how small it was).  It needs new tyres so it's currently on hold while I wait for a pair of 14 x 1 3/8 tyres to come up at a sensible price.  Great bit of design though, quite elegant in its own way and the rear suspension still works even after years of neglect.

I have a Moulton, although it's badged as a Triang.

It needs new tyres so it's currently on hold while I wait for a pair of 14 x 1 3/8 tyres to come up at a sensible price.

A Triang Junior 1970 - "under Moulton licence" as the tail stickers said.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/392124112404

What's not to like about these Taiwanese beauties brought to you by the Shyh-Hwa Rubber Ind Co Ltd?

£18 for pair? Sir needs to stop making excuses. Get 'em bought!

attachicon.gifmoulton 3.jpg

attachicon.gifmoulton2.jpg

attachicon.gifmoulton.jpg

When all our mates had Choppers or racers , me my brother got one of these each in 1971. Luckily there was a comic at the time where a group of kids solved mystery sand fought crime on similar small wheeled bikes.

We both managed to snap the frame, just behind the seat post . Looked much cooler with a big messy weld and red oxide painted over the repair. The fuckers wouldn't die , even years later when we had better bikes or even when I had a Fizzy they were still being abused round the yard and field by the whole family.