What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Just had my neighbour from over the road knock and ask for a jump. She'd left her lights on (rough '53 plate A4 convertible). I've never spoken to her before, just the odd smile and nod, only realised now she's french. Her accent is gorgeous, can't really place her ethnically i'm guessing north African, but could be mixed afro/Caribbean very pretty either way.

Got the car going and she was very grateful even offered me a fiver, being a gent I declined.Though it was probably her phone number, it is dark...

Just had my neighbour from over the road knock and ask for a jump. She'd left her lights on (rough '53 plate A4 convertible). I've never spoken to her before, just the odd smile and nod, only realised now she's french. Her accent is gorgeous, can't really place her ethnically i'm guessing north African, but could be mixed afro/Caribbean very pretty either way.

Got the car going and she was very grateful even offered me a fiver, being a gent I declined.Though it was probably her phone number, it is dark...

Keep an eye out to see if there is a man of the house. If not, take her to McDonalds :D

Our underfloor heating is controlled by six wireless thermostats. Naturally, now it's getting colder, two of them packed up. Replacements are about £68 each. Yikes. Naturally, that forces one to be a bit adventurous in the name of thriftiness, so I got the soldering iron out, remade a few connections and now have two working thermostats again! Hoorah! Wonder how long they'll last?

Our underfloor heating is controlled by six wireless thermostats. Naturally, now it's getting colder, two of them packed up. Replacements are about £68 each. Yikes. Naturally, that forces one to be a bit adventurous in the name of thriftiness, so I got the soldering iron out, remade a few connections and now have two working thermostats again! Hoorah! Wonder how long they'll last?

Watch out Big Clive, Hub Nut is coming into your turf ;)

I met the Head of small petrol engine design of Ford about 5 years ago at an IMechE lecture at the university of Warwick.

We were all very sycophantic.

The issue is with the use of Finite element analysis.

Design Engineers push the limits of their stress analysis forgetting that

There are manufacturing variations ranging from material composition, to surface finish to tolerance to heat treatment, so nothing that is produced is at nominal.

And then they test them in a way that doesn't simulate real life.

Amusing how the recall is to fit a coolant level warning.

That's to stop (too many) people dying not fix the problem.

A bit like the MGF where later versions had coolant level warning as standard.

And opposite to an A Series that seems to run fine with no coolant.

They look like "Black Spanish round", a type of radish. Cut into juliennes and throw into a stir-fry to add a bit of pep, or mix with carrot, onions and a vinaigrette/dressing to make a winter coleslaw. In round slices makes a nice addition to a Chinese or Japanese style soup.

Bit stronger than the normal red radishes we see in the fruit & veg aisles.

They look like "Black Spanish round", a type of radish. Cut into juliennes and throw into a stir-fry to add a bit of pep, or mix with carrot, onions and a vinaigrette/dressing to make a winter coleslaw. In round slices makes a nice addition to a Chinese or Japanese style soup.

Bit stronger than the normal red radishes we see in the fruit & veg aisles.

Maybe a bit big for those

Box of eggs next to them to show the size

Got to go out for a spin with this in front of me...

post-21985-0-64493700-1539196605_thumb.jpg

Few things scream 80s more than random red stripes and a VFD digital clock.

Been fifteen years or so since I last drove a Metro, still a cracking steer.

Interesting that the gearbox whine on this one (1.3) was way, way quieter than on my old 998cc one. Different gearbox innards? Or this car being a 1984 example likely to have some additional sound deadening that my 1981 example lacked?