What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

I used to only wear one pair of shoes when driving my Midget, any other pair were too wide & pressing the brake always did all three pedals. It's suprising how much difference it makes.

There have been a couple of times where, while wearing my work boots, I've gone for the clutch on the Acclaim and clipped the brake. Never been a problem in the Civic or Dolomites though.

Jesus I remember when you coulad get an 8th (and an actual 8th) for £20. Glad I don't smoke it anymore, looks like I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway!

I used to sell a bit of resin for a tenner an 8th in the late 90s at uni. We stopped as the fact the soapbar (each one was the same size as 3 imperial leathers, I always presumed that's how they moved it about) was stamped with 'I.R.A.' stamped on it in big letters.

After smoking a few bongs worth, the fact that the seemingly harmless act of getting stoned and playing Mario Kart was funding terrorism started playing on my mind.

I thought that most soap bar came from Holland and they made it out of oil, tyres & pollen.

Saw a Mégane convertible earlier with the registration LO0 5TOP.  Childish but made me smirk anyway.

I've seen LO0 8END before, on a brown Kia Cee'd estate.

re: shoes, I've always found that too. I can't drive in DMs because they have such thick soles, I lose all pedal feel and modulation. I stick to my other shoes when I'm driving, Vans Era or SK8 Hi, and Adidas Sambas.

After sitting for 18 months the Disco fired up straight away with a fresh battery ( swiped from Transit with starting issues).

It took a bit of jiggling to get it moving and a few things fell off when it did but it runs perfectly. On the downside it's going to need loads of welding and a bit of brake fettling before it sees the road.

VID_20180507_152903738.mp4

post-4555-0-55810600-1525712887_thumb.jpg

After a bit of fiddling most of the locks and electrics have come back to life. Annoyingly the splashguard on the OSR brake disc has partially dropped off and got caught up with the brake pipe so driving is inadvisable. This is a pain as I can't get hold of Tom and the Astra is abandoned a mile up the road after its own rear brakes fell apart.

post-4555-0-61121600-1525713431_thumb.jpg

After a few weeks of bloody hard graft, have finally emptied the sister-in-law's house and done some half hearted tidying up. Didn't get skips in, used the money to put the van through an MOT, which wasn't cheap.

It's sad that a chapter of our lives is finally closing, but the house needs to go on the market as too many memories involved. 

it has also been pointed out that when i have driven the car and hated it, i was wearing Dr Martin's, heeled boots or some other pair of inappropreate shoes. today cos its been nice and warm, i have been mostly wearing little flat pump things, and again at the unit when i drove it i was wearing trainers....

so, the point of today? other than actually for the most part getting along with the car, has been that i will have to wear something sensible* or appropreate* on my feet if i drive the balck mini.

When I had a Mini, i usually wore plimsols or desert boots, but when it was hot, no shoes or socks at all. I did try with flip flops, but gave that up after a "moment" when one caught under the brake pedal.

today has been a bit hit and miss.

been lovely out again ,but failed toget the clutch changed in the black mini (again, no m=name calling cos today has been a good day)

post-18270-0-35034800-1525710534_thumb.jpg

post-18270-0-50867300-1525710595_thumb.jpg

post-18270-0-36420600-1525717696_thumb.jpg

post-18270-0-74268500-1525717769_thumb.jpg

post-18270-0-56524300-1525717837_thumb.jpg

the reaon we didn't get the clutch done is the chap who was going to help* us get it done has another car in bits, stranded on his ramp. so no room for us :-(

with luck though we'll get it done next week...... still as it was nice out, we did take the car out for a run. just along to Thorton-le-Dale and then onto Malton, before back to the lock-up. we haven't strayed that far from base, just in case. but all helps me wonder how well the car will drive.

well it was i think ok, given the state the clutch, we did stick to relatively flat roads. and yes, trainers have made for a more pleasent experience. i guess i am going to have to be carefull on my choice of footwear when driving the black mini....

i wore trainers, and the whole driving thing was much improved. the clutch is slipping alot though, so, the sooner it is done the sooner i can really get to use the car. i also want to get a peashooter exhaust put back on it too. 

there is one just waiting to go on to the car at the FiL's just we need the chance to get it put on. but why do i want to use an OEM type exhaust? jut to make the car quieter and easier to live with.....

just to illustrate how much bigger moderns are, this is Rover's own interpretation of what the new generation should be, i could i think just about live with one of those, when compared with the original. and the subsequent BINI's are just a total abortion.......

post-18270-0-09255300-1525710435_thumb.jpg

post-18270-0-27062100-1525710486_thumb.jpg

so we have had a nice morning tootling around the district. the car does need some more odds an ends doing but at least it is working (mostly) and road legal. and i've enjoyed having a little run out in it this morning. it looks ok too. when we pulled up in town a couple of kids commented on how it was an eighties mini, Kerry replied that it was registered in 1974! i do remember seeing plenty of mini's running around like this in the eighties though.

post-18270-0-46600700-1525717976_thumb.jpg

post-18270-0-28783300-1525718012_thumb.jpg

post-18270-0-17693500-1525718029_thumb.jpg

so what have we found out? well it seems the petrol gauge tells fibs, but we can cope with that, we also foind that the metro will go in the garage too, but its so much tighter fit (i didn't think there was that much difference in size frankly between the mini and the metro but the effort needed to squeeze out of the metro when in the garage says otherwise) and as i have hoped the wee thing does look (to my eyes) a very cute little car.

"and then to bed...." night, night little car.

post-18270-0-99131200-1525718042_thumb.jpg

Mrs fp saw a Roland rat teddy for sale on a sales site local literally just around the corner, so we went to pick it up, what should have took 5 minutes turned into 2 hours talking to the seller and her husband, she saw the saph went and told him he came out and I showed him around it he then started telling me about his tr6 and opened his garage to let me have a look around it, his son turned up had a look at the saph and we all just talked about good times in old motors it was fantastic, I love down to earth car people

today has been a bit hit and miss.

been lovely out again ,but failed toget the clutch changed in the black mini (again, no m=name calling cos today has been a good day)

DSCN7328.JPG

DSCN7329.JPG

DSCN7330.JPG

DSCN7331.JPG

DSCN7332.JPG

the reaon we didn't get the clutch done is the chap who was going to help* us get it done has another car in bits, stranded on his ramp. so no room for us :-(

with luck though we'll get it done next week...... still as it was nice out, we did take the car out for a run. just along to Thorton-le-Dale and then onto Malton, before back to the lock-up. we haven't strayed that far from base, just in case. but all helps me wonder how well the car will drive.

well it was i think ok, given the state the clutch, we did stick to relatively flat roads. and yes, trainers have made for a more pleasent experience. i guess i am going to have to be carefull on my choice of footwear when driving the black mini....

i wore trainers, and the whole driving thing was much improved. the clutch is slipping alot though, so, the sooner it is done the sooner i can really get to use the car. i also want to get a peashooter exhaust put back on it too.

there is one just waiting to go on to the car at the FiL's just we need the chance to get it put on. but why do i want to use an OEM type exhaust? jut to make the car quieter and easier to live with.....

just to illustrate how much bigger moderns are, this is Rover's own interpretation of what the new generation should be, i could i think just about live with one of those, when compared with the original. and the subsequent BINI's are just a total abortion.......

DSCN7333.JPG

DSCN7335.JPG

so we have had a nice morning tootling around the district. the car does need some more odds an ends doing but at least it is working (mostly) and road legal. and i've enjoyed having a little run out in it this morning. it looks ok too. when we pulled up in town a couple of kids commented on how it was an eighties mini, Kerry replied that it was registered in 1974! i do remember seeing plenty of mini's running around like this in the eighties though.

DSCN7336.JPG

DSCN7338.JPG

DSCN7339.JPG

so what have we found out? well it seems the petrol gauge tells fibs, but we can cope with that, we also foind that the metro will go in the garage too, but its so much tighter fit (i didn't think there was that much difference in size frankly between the mini and the metro but the effort needed to squeeze out of the metro when in the garage says otherwise) and as i have hoped the wee thing does look (to my eyes) a very cute little car.

"and then to bed...." night, night little car.

DSCN7340.JPG

You really ought to do a new thread about your Mini adventure.

My local authority licencing enforcement officer was on the £100K Drop on Channel 4 tonight with his son and won £5000. 

Considering he's there to take me off the road if I'm naughty in all the years I've known him he's always been 100% straight with both me and my late mum when she was a driver so I'm happy he's made himself a few quid tonight.

Well done John and Matt.

Started off as a grump but rapidly turned into a grin.

Got my ins renewal for the Streetshite from Tesco - gone up from £554 to £586 even with a year's NCD.

Played around on a load of comparison websites - cheapest quote £227 !

Guess who it's with ? Tesco.

Little bit of Googling reveals if you go through and get the quote reference number from Tesco's site then ring them up you have them over a barrel.

Rang them up, selected thinking of leaving. Advised renewal way too high, got a cheaper quote via comparison site and they were the cheapest, gave them the quote reference number - all agreed and just had confirmation email through.

They must make loads through people not checking - anyway £350 saving. Guess what I'm doing next..... (come in car number 3, your master awaits)

Got the Transits new logbook back.

It’s now registered as a ‘motor caravan’! Just got to send a copy off to my insurer as proof now (part of the conditions of my insurance policy is that it’s registered as a camper not a panel van.)

Great news as it’s taken ages to get this done.

Still in an aluminium tube 6 miles away from terra firma, although I concede it looks better than being back in steerage.

I’m gob smacked no one has come up with anesthetiser airways. Put gently to sleep in the terminal, loaded and flown to destination and brought around. Can pack miles more people onto plane in almost coming like crates. Be just like a freight flight. I’d sign up straight away, can’t stand flying.

Saying that I’m currently booked on 6 flights in the next 3 months, accept you have to use air travel to get to the sun but I’m not looking forward to being airborne.