What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

You must live near me! Have you seen his Bedford? out working too?

This Bedford?

post-20295-0-47261000-1522875170_thumb.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61090099@N04/35950208190/in/photolist-WLNdpG

I'm not sure if it ever moves, it lives in Burstow which is not far from me.

The RB wasn't exactly working when I saw it - it was parked outside a pub!

This Bedford?

Untitled.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61090099@N04/35950208190/in/photolist-WLNdpG

I'm not sure if it ever moves, it lives in Burstow which is not far from me.

The RB wasn't exactly working when I saw it - it was parked outside a pub!

That's the one, I'm pretty sure I've seen it hiabing big tree trunks for logging up, it doesn't move much though does it, there was a little stripped down chassis with a seat on it too at one point.

Some of you may know that I found a Mk2 Cavalier over here in NZ, so naturally I bought it. Admittedly, it's not a good time to do so right now, with so many broken cars but I dismissed grown up persons logic and bought it anyway. Behind my wife's back, as she's demanded a one-out-one-in policy, which is fair - unlike my actions.

I hid it at a mate's house and sorted out insurance for it the other day, ensuring the policy was e-mailed to MY e-mail address, NOT hers.

Today, a conversation went thus:

Mrs_Jon: I got an e-mail from [insurer]. Have you called them recently?

Jon:  (Inward cursing of insurance incompetence)  Yeah, I called them yesterday (a policy renewed recently, so I left it at that, allowing her to put two and two together)

M_J: It says there's a new policy that's started.

Jon: It's probably a renewal.

M_J: For a Vauxhall Cavalier.

Jon: (pause to think of good excuse and maintain poker face whilst nonchalantly supping a drink)....They must be mistaken.

M_J: JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

Jon: General apologies.

The grin is that I married such an understanding woman, as that's where the conversation ended; no arguments, tantrums, shouting, tears etc. I promised to actually fix her car, not just procrastinate about it, so that probably helped. The weight of deception is off my shoulders and my remorse at lying to her in the first place has spurred me on to sort out some shiz, so WIN WIN. 

BEST WIFE EVER!

Jon: (Inward cursing of insurance incompetence) Yeah, I called them yesterday (a policy renewed recently, so I left it at that, allowing her to put two and two together)

Jon: (pause to think of good excuse and maintain poker face whilst nonchalantly supping a drink)....They must be mistaken.

Actual lol!

Some of you may know that I found a Mk2 Cavalier over here in NZ, so naturally I bought it. Admittedly, it's not a good time to do so right now, with so many broken cars but I dismissed grown up persons logic and bought it anyway. Behind my wife's back, as she's demanded a one-out-one-in policy, which is fair - unlike my actions.

I hid it at a mate's house and sorted out insurance for it the other day, ensuring the policy was e-mailed to MY e-mail address, NOT hers.

Jon: (Inward cursing of insurance incompetence) Yeah, I called them yesterday (a policy renewed recently, so I left it at that, allowing her to put two and two together)

The grin is that I married such an understanding woman, as that's where the conversation ended; no arguments, tantrums, shouting, tears etc. I promised to actually fix her car, not just procrastinate about it, so that probably helped. The weight of deception is off my shoulders and my remorse at lying to her in the first place has spurred me on to sort out some shiz, so WIN WIN.

BEST WIFE EVER!

Grin for understanding wife :)

BUT

Why did you bother insuring it in the meantime? Our insurance in NZ used to cover me for anything we had anyway - although that was a few years ago now.

Jon:  (Inward cursing of insurance incompetence)  Yeah, I called them yesterday (a policy renewed recently, so I left it at that, allowing her to put two and two together)

BEST WIFE EVER!

Decades back I worked on a big project where one colleague achieved the reverse of this. He put his mistress as a named driver on his policy, only for the documents to be sent to his home address and be opened by his wife.

:shock:

Today I was on a train, not the grin but it was OK for once. Across from me was a classic old lady, ideal to cast as Miss Marple. I watched as she reached in her capacious bag to produce an old fashioned thermos, she then produced a decent size chunky glass tumbler and from the flask poured, not weak lemon drink, but a couple of ice cubes. Then from the bag came a full size bottle of Gordons Gin, a decent slug was added to the glass, before the tonic came out of the bag to be added. She then spent her time reading her magazine whilst taking genteel sips. She was on her third glass by the time I got off. If I hadn't been picking a car up I would have asked if I could join her.

post-17414-0-19000200-1522952910_thumb.jpeg

Just opening the blinds this morning, was enough for a massive grin.

Dropping it off at the dealers in Newport Pagnel for a recall was quite grin inducing . The showroom waiting area looks out onto where they're making the 25 Continuation DB4 GT's . Stunning receptionist and perfect coffee too.

If you're rich even going to the garage is a pleasurable experience.

Back to earth with a bump when Volvo burst an intercooler pipe and I found a new one is £150 so getting one off eBay for £30.

They say money can't buy you happiness...

Finally got a yes from the referencing agency for our tenancy application today. Thank. God. It's so stressful attempting to rent a house now! I believe recent changes to the DPA have meant that information requests have to be signed, an email permitting is not sufficient anymore.

Anyway, fingers crossed moving into our own (well, rented) house in just over a week. Already bought a load of stuff for it, now I can get on getting the bigger bits. 

I feel so grown up. Can probably get away with parking two cars outside too. And my commute is low single figures now!

Had a nice day with my 15 yr old daughter, she has zero inrterest in cars but declared today she wants a mk1 MX5 as her first car, in yellow preferably  :-D

Possibly not a bad choice really if it could be blagged onto a classic policy

Don't know about a first car , but both of my older daughters had MX5s ( well one was a Eunos) when they were 19 and had 2 years NCB. Surprisingly ok on insurance , roughly the same price as eldest's 316 Compact and only a couple of hundred more than the other's nasty 3 pot Corsa.

Guest Hooli

Most of a youngsters insurance cost is down to the 3rd party bit, so more fun cars often aren't as bad as you'd expect.