What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

I just had a look in my online bank to find that HSBC have today given me £550 PPI compensation for a £4000 loan I took out 17 years ago (which, needless to say I wasted on shite)

That's not a lot of compo really for a loan that old, I wonder if they have paid you enough interest ? Should be 8% minimum on every payment from when it was made as well as refund of the original PPI cost  

EG £10 paid in 2000 would be worth £23.60 now

Traffic bad on evening commute (my journey home includes a section which has all Nottm escapees aiming to get to Jct 26 of the M1) so decided to overtake (legitimately I must add) about 30 cars or so and nip into the right hand turn lane at a set of traffic lights with the aim of taking a local detour to get me home.

Wasn't able to get round before lights changed but miraculously the jammed up road ahead cleared suddenly - one of those ghost traffic jams which occurs because a giffer in a Micra feathered the brakes probably.

As the lane I was now in was also a straight ahead, and I was first I line, decided I would be able to do a merge in turn (three lanes into two) and go straight on, but determined the best way due to the heavy rush hour traffic was to give it the beans and get ahead of the car in the next lane as I figured the car behind most likely wouldn't let me in (Nottm rush hour is evil).

Lights turn green, foot down, growling K-series, warp speed -4, car in left hand lane disappears into the distance, but handily creates a large gap enabling me to slot in behind without concern.

What made me laugh was the bloke I challenged* seriously must have thought 'that showed him' - yeah mate, your Beemer just burned up a 1.4 84 bhp go-kart. Well done.

What made me laugh was the bloke I challenged* seriously must have thought 'that showed him' - yeah mate, your Beemer just burned up a 1.4 84 bhp go-kart. Well done.

This is now my strategy. Sit next to the car in the #1 spot, edging forward.... give them the idea you want to race.

They take off, the person in #2 is doing the shakey-head "bloody hooligans" thing, and a huge gap opens up. Works every time.

Got the new battery fitted to my p38 today, had a small panic getting the eka code to take. Now it's running.

Had a delivery of wood from the local farm - turns out he has a collection of 15 classics including an ac and an xk140. Made my 'collection' seem very inadequate. Going to take a look at his cars at some point. :)

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk

anyone else love the folks that sit the side of you at a set of lights gradually creeping forward....then totally miss the lights changing and you leave them looking like twats in a 1.2 punto **(insert your car car here)

It is a reason to use the handbrake at lights. If you're holding your foot on the brake you're always going to lose a quarter of a second finding the biting point and then swapping feet, so either balance on the clutch (applicable to hire cars, or your own vehicle that isn't long for this world anyway) or use the handbrake so you can be ready on the pedals.

Learning light sequences helps too, so you can be rolling on red to cross the line on amber and into the distance on green :)

(I used to go full dragstrip with my Polo, hold it on the handbrake with the revs high and the clutch just below biting. Stopped doing that when I twisted a driveshaft in half)

It is a reason to use the handbrake at lights. If you're holding your foot on the brake you're always going to lose a quarter of a second finding the biting point and then swapping feet, so either balance on the clutch (applicable to hire cars, or your own vehicle that isn't long for this world anyway) or use the handbrake so you can be ready on the pedals.

Learning light sequences helps too, so you can be rolling on red to cross the line on amber and into the distance on green :)

(I used to go full dragstrip with my Polo, hold it on the handbrake with the revs high and the clutch just below biting. Stopped doing that when I twisted a driveshaft in half)

Or drive an auto and hold it on the brake pedal with your left foot. That makes for a speedy getaway.

I learned how to make these today courtesy of this thread: http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/199071/honey-shrunk-car-66-toons

post-5335-0-21995700-1511980409_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-99743000-1511980417_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-43230800-1511980432_thumb.jpg

Great way to cheer myself up since I'm full of cold and the Princess' suspension has done what it does again.

Or mess up your bite point whilst at the front of a huge queue of traffic at a junction, bring the clutch up and hold it just at the point that the whole car vibrates like mad and the dash rattles, put too much gas on so you end up slowly moving away at 2000 revs, then sharply dump it into 2nd and away you go.

Ill get the hang of it again soon...

Rather a long grin, but I am on a week's holiday this week in a lovely, cosy and comfy cottage and it has just started to snow rather heavily.

This is pretty much the ideal week off for me, and today I'm feeling sentimental so I just wanted to share with you all how sentimental I get.

I am a frequent visitor to my local scrapyard - the owner knows me quite well by now and usually we have a good rap about life and our weeks at work and so on. With my regular visits to the yard I get to know the vehicles that are occupying the yard and I enjoy photographing and documenting them on the internet and finding out their past histories using the service history books which I usually end up buying (I have a huge plastic storage box of the things) - not something the average car enthusiast would buy but what the hell, I enjoy it.

Anyway, I digress....

...I usually make the pilgramage to the yard at the run up to Christmas for a final look around before we all close up for the year and go home to celebrate the festive season. I am a sentimental old fool and I love getting into the Christmas spirit, so by the last few days before the big day I am in total sentimental overdrive with the spirit of Christmas and the last visit at the yard is a visit that's full of excitement and sadness. Excitement about the Christmas feeling but sadness that the cars in the yard are all without owners and will be spending the festivities in a cold and lonely yard by themselves instead of being on someone's driveway or roadside covered in snow, or being driven to the garden centre or supermarket for some last-minute shopping or doing the Christmas card run. Cars with no doors or windows, engines and gearboxes missing - utterly vulnerable to the elements, I do believe that cars have feelings. Call me mad but I do think they must realise when they are out of use and not wanted any more.
So every year, I get overly attached to certain cars that end up in the yard and Christmas time exacerbates the sentimental feelings I have for them, when everyone is waking up on Christmas morning and opening presents and then sitting down for the feast of a dinner I will spare a thought or two about that poor little car sat in the yard and it not seeing the enjoyment of another Christmas any more because by the time the next one comes around it will be reduced into nothing more than baked bean tin sized pieces.

I have felt like this for a few years and so below is a list of the cars that I have wished were away from the jaws of the crusher at Christmas time.

2009 & 2010 - Austin Allegro 1.3L - KEX 62V - Registered February 1980, scrapped in 2007 (Off the road since 1990)

2693336155_5d216ee4de_z.jpgKEX 62V (2) by greengartside, on Flickr

2011 - Ford Fiesta XR2 - C325 HTW - Registered September 1985, scrapped in 2011 (Off the road since 2001)
5991208846_e8ed962986_z.jpgC325 HTW - Ford Fiesta XR2 - September 1985 by greengartside, on Flickr

2012 - Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec - X358 UUB - Registered January 2001, scrapped in 2012.
8441339440_da4b1b1302_z.jpgX358 UUB - Ford Focus 1.8i Zetec - January 2001 by greengartside, on Flickr

2013 - Ford Sierra 2.0 GLS - K392 JVG - Registered March 1993, scrapped in 2013.
23825961201_7c5545bff5_z.jpgK392 JVG - Ford Sierra Sapphire 2.0 GLSi - March 1993 by greengartside, on Flickr

2014 - Skoda Felicia 1.3 Popular - X717 ABU - Registered September 2000, scrapped in 2014.
37989859102_afc43fd163_z.jpgX717 ABU - Skoda Felicia 1.3i Popular - September 2000 by greengartside, on Flickr

2015 - Ford Ka 1.3i Luxury - X331 SDX - Registered December 2000, scrapped in 2015.
23397052343_fb27727149_z.jpgY331 SDX - Ford Ka 1.3 Luxury - April 2001 by greengartside, on Flickr

2016 - Vauxhall Zafira 2.0 DTi SRi - KW54 DGU - Registered January 2005, scrapped in 2016.
37990000992_36a8bf14da_z.jpgKW54 DGU - Vauxhall Zafira 2.0 DTi SRi - January 2005 by greengartside, on Flickr

With the festive season rapidly approaching, I have already found the car that will be this year's sentimental overload for me.

This little Fiesta....
37239812462_2892d101b1_z.jpgAU52 WZS - Ford Fiesta 1.4 Ghia - September 2002 by greengartside, on Flickr

2017 - Ford Fiesta 1.4i Ghia - AU52 WZS - Registered September 2002, scrapped October 2017.

This lovely Metropolis Blue Ghia has just arrived into the yard and hasn't made it's way through to the back field as yet. The driver's rear door has already been taken off it and I have salvaged the front grille, along with some bulbs and other things. Supplied new by local Ford dealers, Busseys of Norwich, it has only covered just over 85,000 miles since it hit the road in September, 2002.
Sadly it is unclear as to why it has ended up in the yard, as the M.o.T was still valid when it arrived and the engine has low mileage for the year. I hope it wasn't a victim of the much-hated Scrappage Scheme but it looks very likely it was. Sad to think that this Fiesta could have been given a new lease of life by a new owner but this is all now very much academic.
So this Christmas I will be enjoying the festivities like everyone else, but I will be remembering and celebrating the life of this little machine and at least a few of it's parts will be living on - in my shed.

R.I.P Little guy.