What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Hard to say. It was the J70 shape, don't they still make them over there? It looked like holidaymakers rather than an import. Bit of a trek!

Yes, you can still buy them new here. - http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70

I've seen foreign registered motorbikes on the road here in Australia, never a car.

It seems like a lot of extra effort to ship your car overseas and then ship it back again when you can just hire a car there or even purchase one there and sell it when you leave.

Not sure if this should be in grump thread, but on balance I think the grin thread wins.

I could not sleep last night, I just wasn't tired and sat up until 04:00. That's the grump.

The grin is I have loads of episodes of The Bill from the first series which Drama are showing in the daytime.

I had forgotten just how good this programme was, compared to today's stuff. The script and acting were superb, along with the writing and directing.

And also loads of chod to spot.

Well worth a watch.

Saw a 67 plate car earlier. It was a Leaf.

I grinned because it's the 10th of September so those plates have been out for over a week, and I've seen one. I used to get myself a little pad of paper when I was a kid, and keep it in the car, and I'd mark down all the new registrations I saw from 1st to 31st August. I'd then tell everyone excitedly how the spotting was doing. HEY I WASN'T WEIRD OK?

But still, I'd get into triple figures in that first month - I do more miles myself these days and just seen one. Doesn't seem to be the rush for new plates any more, you don't see dealers spaffing themselves over it.

I'd also award myself some sort of imaginary prize for spotting a motorbike, tractor and truck with the new reg too.

I grinned because it's the 10th of September so those plates have been out for over a week, and I've seen one. I used to get myself a little pad of paper when I was a kid, and keep it in the car, and I'd mark down all the new registrations I saw from 1st to 31st August. I'd then tell everyone excitedly how the spotting was doing. HEY I WASN'T WEIRD OK?

But still, I'd get into triple figures in that first month - I do more miles myself these days and just seen one. Doesn't seem to be the rush for new plates any more, you don't see dealers spaffing themselves over it.

I'd also award myself some sort of imaginary prize for spotting a motorbike, tractor and truck with the new reg too.

I see your weirdness and raise you looking out for the first damaged repairable with a new reg

I spent much of my younger days in salvage yards so this isn't quite* as odd as it may sound...

I used to plate spot as a kid.

I remember the first ever V reg I saw (1979) was the truck that turned up to fit new windows in the house.

When I got my first new (company) car, it was due to arrive on March 5th.

March 1st I never saw a 14 plate

March 2nd I never saw one

March 3rd I never saw one

March 4th I never saw one

March 5th, on the way to work I spot one. A bloody Yaris.

I'm really not convinced people care that much anymore, especially the half year 60 something plates.

I think the change to twice-yearly has taken the edge off it. Also perhaps the shift from personal buyers making up the bulk of new car buying (and wanting to wait until 1st August) to companies buying in bulk, on whatever date the dealers or manufacturers tell them they can have them, has eaten into the rush for new registrations too.

A lot more people are buying two or three year old ex-lease cars from the likes of AvailableCar, Arnold Shark etc - that just didn't really happen in the 90s. You'd go to the dealer to look at a two year old car, they'd sit you in a brand new model, and you'd go "oooh it's only a little bit more".

My grandfather went to a Ford dealer in June 1982 and they were getting all giddy about the Sierra. Very keen for him to buy one. He saw this as a sign that the outgoing Cortina would have some decent deals on, and bought a Gold 1.6L for delivery on the 1st August.

Due to the impending rush, they let him take it home a week early, wearing it's Y plate on the understanding he was to park it in the garage and not to drive it anywhere until the 1st.

Mother Ruff has returned from a brief hospital visit and seems to be well on the mend, it was a bit of a surprise to us as none of us can really remember her being properly unwell before.

In other news I handed my notice in at work today... Tomorrow is going to be strange.

Ditto, 1974 was a bumper year as I spotted a metallic blue Rolls Royce with the newest reg on the day they came out.

I'm glad it's not just me.  So far I've seen a grand total of ONE 67 plate.  Predictably, it was a small grey Audi, but never mind.

(For all those pussies that get a nosebleed doing an AutoShite collection from just down the road.)

555897-zapp-family.jpg

https://stv.tv/news/features/1397196-family-on-incredible-17-year-road-trip-say-scotland-is-best/

I met them in East Kilbride on Wednesday or Thursday. I passed them causing a tailback on the Expressway and met them later at the Kingsgate. Very interesting people with a tremendous story to tell.

Interesting rare old car too. Very keen to sell £19 worth of book, but genuinely interesting people. Were heading over to Northern Ireland.

But how do you fund 17 years worth of travelling?