What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Its a booming thunderstorm here tonight.

I went for a shit. I am a fat man who lives entirely on ramen noodles and Bigmacs. When I shit its like an explosion in a Nutella factory. 

Half-way through the deal....click..... the power goes off. No lights, no windows in the bog....pitch black.

eh, no big deal, I finish off in the dark...but.....h...how do you know when to stop wiping?

The Chinese have the worlds only neomydium mining facility. There was one in California, shut due to pollution. The Chinese will not export it any more, only as pre manufactured components.Government policy. That's where your magnets for your electric motors come from. And the ones from your headphones, basically any efficient moving electrical parts.

The Chinese have the worlds only neomydium mining facility. There was one in California, shut due to pollution. The Chinese will not export it any more, only as pre manufactured components.Government policy. That's where your magnets for your electric motors come from. And the ones from your headphones, basically any efficient moving electrical parts.

Hmm. A quick Google suggests India, Brazil, Sri Lanka and Australia also have reserves. However, that piece did go on to say that the Japanese have invented magnets that don't use that stuff and that China were selling the stuff 'illegally.' 

Its a booming thunderstorm here tonight.

I went for a shit. I am a fat man who lives entirely on ramen noodles and Bigmacs. When I shit its like an explosion in a Nutella factory.

Half-way through the deal....click..... the power goes off. No lights, no windows in the bog....pitch black.

eh, no big deal, I finish off in the dark...but.....h...how do you know when to stop wiping?

An increase in friction...

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Hmm. A quick Google suggests India, Brazil, Sri Lanka and Australia also have reserves. However, that piece did go on to say that the Japanese have invented magnets that don't use that stuff and that China were selling the stuff 'illegally.' 

Yes but the difference between reserves and a functioning and economically viable mine is probably five years and a risky investment in the tens of millions so China is in a strong position there.  

Developing a reliable supply is the kind of thing US government should be focused on instead of buggering up NAFTA because Trump is stuck in the 1980s.   Have a very boring graph.

USGS_rare_earth_oxides_production_graph.

Yeah there is lots about, especially in Afghanistan. Not many companies want to compete with the Chinese government on price, as they don't give a fuck about the environment. Do another quick Google search and look at the hundreds of miles of polluted wasteland the factory produces. They produce 97 percent of the worlds total. If you could point me in the direction of a powerful and efficient motor used in a car that does not contain it, I would like you to show me please, I would be very interested.

Sorry, that sounded like I was having a go at you, I'm not, it really grinds my gears how polluting this new generation of electric cars is going to be. The batteries can't be economically recycled but will be produced in their billions. Its just a different type of pollution, and we still need to produce the energy to build and run the car. I suppose it all sounds great until you actually look into it.

I'm sorry this is going to have to stop now! People* have said electric cars are clean and help the environment that petrol and diesel destroy.

We can't have you telling story's about how the creation of magnets kills hundreds of miles of land or is all being done by one country we can't go to war with, it's clean and safe so move on!!1

I'm sorry this is going to have to stop now! People* have said electric cars are clean and help the environment that petrol and diesel destroy.

We can have you telling story's about how the creation of magnets kills hundreds of miles of land or is being all been done by one country we can't go to war with, it's clean and safe so move on!!1

We've got an electric car thread where we have had this argument. For big cities having petrol and diesel vehicles driving in by the hundreds of thousands every day is a terrible idea.

The batteries can be recycled, but it's likely to happen after their second life as storage batteries.

The fact that the salvage value on EV batteries is so high should tell you something.

Also, renewable energy can power all of these things.

They can't be economically recycled without government subsidy. Second useage yes, they can be useful, but the recycling process takes a huge amount of energy and causes pollution. I'm not implying fossil fuels are any cleaner or better, it just makes me chuckle how silly some people are about their zero emissions cars. They are far from environmentally friendly.

Sorry it's not an argument I was, as normal, being sarcastic. You can't get stuff out of the Earth without making a bit of a mess. Same goes for burning stuff.

Nothing will change while there's money to be made..... 

... options 4 auto$hiters

http://autoshite.com/topic/29341-change-from-sounds-like-a-dropped-valve-m8/

TS

zero emissions cars. They are far from environmentally friendly.

That would tie in with your statement that the Chinese "don't care about pollution".

They have a 12% EV mandate by 2020 and are investing over 300bn yuan in renewables.

post-82-0-65132900-1504197391_thumb.png

https://brickset.com/article/30277/75192-millennium-falcon-revealed!

Lego have finally confirmed the long rumoured new UCS Millennium Falcon! This could also go in the grump thread on behalf of my wallet as it's going to cost £650, but I will still be getting a copy at some point. It will be the largest retail Lego set ever by quite a margin  :-D

75192-1.png

Lego have finally confirmed the long rumoured new UCS Millennium Falcon! This could also go in the grump thread on behalf of my wallet as it's going to cost £650, but I will still be getting a copy at some point. It will be the largest retail Lego set ever by quite a margin :-D

Surely that'll go up in value too like other sets have

attachicon.gif75192-1.png

Lego have finally confirmed the long rumoured new UCS Millennium Falcon! This could also go in the grump thread on behalf of my wallet as it's going to cost £650, but I will still be getting a copy at some point. It will be the largest retail Lego set ever by quite a margin  :-D

Well my brother in law will be happy, but now I need to convince my sister that my nieces will love it!

That would tie in with your statement that the Chinese "don't care about pollution".

They have a 12% EV mandate by 2020 and are investing over 300bn yuan in renewables.

I don't doubt those figures, but the fourteen square kilometers of lake in baotou looks lovely for a holiday doesn't it? That's not polluting hundreds of kilometres around it? Fucking hell, the area produces billions of dollars per year, and economic development is more important than the environment, in that part of China. I'm not anti electric cars but fuck, that's devastation on a whole new scale. The irony of international environmental agreements. Measure some gases, energy use, but cheap Chinese goods must be deemed acceptable no matter what they actually do with their waste.

I'm not anti Chinese, I'm sure most developing countries with large land mass would/will do the same. I just don't like the irony of someone thinking they have a car that is environmentally friendly, its bullshit, there is no such thing, and in our lfetime , there fucking won't be. Consumerism drives markets, and its just one more layer of bullshit. When renewables drive energy instead of power stations, maybe, next fifty years? Bull fucking shit. Rant over.

I don't doubt those figures, but the fourteen square kilometers of lake in baotou looks lovely for a holiday doesn't it? That's not polluting hundreds of kilometres around it? Fucking hell, the area produces billions of dollars per year, and economic development is more important than the environment, in that part of China. I'm not anti electric cars but fuck, that's devastation on a whole new scale. The irony of international environmental agreements. Measure some gases, energy use, but cheap Chinese goods must be deemed acceptable no matter what they actually do with their waste.

I'm not anti Chinese, I'm sure most developing countries with large land mass would/will do the same. I just don't like the irony of someone thinking they have a car that is environmentally friendly, its bullshit, there is no such thing, and in our lfetime , there fucking won't be. Consumerism drives markets, and its just one more layer of bullshit. When renewables drive energy instead of power stations, maybe, next fifty years? Bull fucking shit. Rant over.

I'm not going to defend that but I do believe that Chinese environmentalism will spread up there and they will clean that up.

However if you think "that's devastation on a whole new scale"  then I think you need to open your eyes.

The Canadian tar sands are about 140,000km2, the chernobyl exclusion zone is 2400km2, the Aral Sea was 6800km2, the Torrey Canyon oil slick was 700km2, Deepwater Horizon was 176,000km2, Ixtoc was 2800km2, Bhopal injured 558,000 people and thats not to mention the massive climate disaster which is unfolding in front of us.

Some quick calculations for 150k miles in an EV versus a 40mpg 94g/km petrol would give a saving of;

3750 gallons of petrol

14.25 tons of CO2

72 litres of engine oil

16 litres of transmission oil

3 sets of tyres

3 sets of brake pads 

1 set of discs

Now multiply these figures by at least 450,000 (EVs built to date) and add in some extra for the 10million hybrids...

This of course assumes that the car runs on renewable energy, which you don't seem to think is doable...

The UK grid was running over 20% renewables this afternoon when i checked and Scotland (like Portugal, Denmark, Norway and a few others) has managed a full day of renewables on at least one occasion (we don't burn coal up here). 

If you want to talk about markets then we really need to mention the trillions in subsidies that fossil fuels get...