What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Getting ready for an mot on my Lotus, had an inadvertent 1996 gathering on my drive.

Range rover looks menacing from drivers seat....

Also the illogical worry when I pulled into the mot bay to see the normal tester is on holidays. Currently the test has the bonnet up.... Eek.0cb05732e1ef2271fc8aca6f9efaeaab.jpgea83a7ce7ae22a148404b7b165f2bf84.jpg

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk

My manky Hiace now has a year's MOT following a poke with the welding stick, many new brake pipes, a new towbar power socket and a rear light that doesn't have a hole in it.  This is a good thing.

I haven't seen the bill yet so the grin might fade a little when I pick it up tomorrow afternoon but for now I'm pleased.

Driving along in the piss pouring rain on the M1 in the T25, in the dark. Steady away at 60 reclined in the comfy seats with the armrests deployed, Knobheads in x5s blasting past at 90mph through standing water etc.

I stuck an old tape in the stereo and this came on:

I'd found in a box of my old crap at my mums today, I think I got the tape off some scary older boy in the mid 90s when I was about 12,

I've heard that track a load of times since but the way it was mixed in took me back 20 odd years, to when I was listening to it on an akai stereo I got out of a skip behind a shop.

It sounds best on the cracklemasters in the van. In the house on my yuppy stereo it's not how I remember it.

Getting some replacement windows fitted today.

Not started well when they asked me which ones they were supposed to be doing.

Took a phone call outside and came back to find they had taken the living room window out - which wasn't to be replaced!

Very laurel and hardy. Minor swearing/blaming each other and it was put back in.

They dug around the van and found the fag packet the quote was written on so full steam ahead :-)

I know there's a YouTube thread somewhere, but I thought a video with rallying Volvo 240s, Saab 96 &99s and 164 deserved a to be here.

Historic rallying with Quattros an Integrales makes me feel old too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PVy2aC8_aKQ&ebc=ANyPxKqtjEDlql_IfPq5vtmYQ9qupaZF7Vm-JvmLK8T0l1tF5psBJtc89zO32GczO6dV65s_kgXIKl95OVJuN9YagUJf9HqEaw

Breadvan Polo > ??? > 13" Ford, sure I've seen it on a couple of things > generic > phase 2 Clio > early Montego

2nd from left has no markings at all - must be a poundland special, 4th from left has a citroen badge on it. if anyone has a want or need for any of these, do let me know. they will find a home as garage wall decorations for the time being

As I've crap handwriting I wanted to get a typewriter to fill out my time sheets for work. Put a local one on ebay watch as listed at only £5.

Went to my mother in laws today and this was on the side

post-17845-0-13185900-1502319542_thumb.jpg

Bought for Mrs Shrimp when she was 18 to learn to type on. A good few years later and apparently it was still knocking about, mine now :-)

New ribbon for it ordered on £3.50 from Amazon.

*** MAN RULES ***

1. OPENING JARS - She's struggling. You take it from her hands, open it effortlessly and pretend she loosened it for you. She didn't. Jars are men's work.

2. CALLING SOMEONE 'SON' - Especially policeman but even saying it to kids makes you the man.

3. DOING A PROPER SLIDE TACKLE - Beckham free kicks - camp. A Stuart Pearce tackle is the pinnacle of the game, simultaneously winning the ball and crippling the man. Magic.

4. SHARPENING A PENCIL WITH A STANLEY KNIFE - Blunt, is it? Hand it here love. No, I don't need a sharpener, I've got a knife thanks!

5. GOING TO THE TIP - A manly act which combines driving, lifting and - as you thrillingly drop your rubbish into another huge pile of other rubbish - noisy destruction.

6. DRINKING UP - Specifically, rising from the table, slinging your coat on and downing two thirds of a pint in one fluid movement. Then nodding towards the door, saying, "Let's go" and striding out while everyone else struggles to catch up with you. You're hard.

7. HAVING A THIN BIT OF WOOD - in the shed, solely to stir paint with.

8. HAVING A SCAR - Ideally it'll be a facial knife wound, but even an iron burn on the wrist is good. "Ooh, did it hurt". "Nah".

9. HAVING A HANGOVER AND THICK STUBBLE - When birds have been partying they just whinge. You on the other hand have physical evidence of your hardness, sprouting from your face. "Big night?" Grr, what does it look like.

10. USING POWER TOOLS - Slightly more powerful than you need or can safely handle. Pneumatic drilling while smoking a fag? Superb.

11. ARRIVING IN A PUB LATE - And everyone cheers you. It doesn't mean you're popular, it just means your mates are drunk However, the rest of the pub doesn't know that.

12. NOT WATCHING YOUR WEIGHT - Fat is a feminist issue, apparently. Brilliant. Pass the pork scratchings.

13. CARVING THE ROAST - And saying "are you a leg or breast man?" to the blokes and "do you want stuffing?" to the women. Congratulations, you are now your dad.

14. WINKING - Turns women to putty. Doesn't it?

15. TEST SWINGING HAMMERS - Ideally, B&Q should have little changing rooms with mirrors so you could see how rugged you look with any DIY item. Until then, we'll make do with the aisles.

16. TAKING OUT 200 POUNDS FROM A CASHPOINT - Okay, so its for paying the plumber later but with that much cash you feel like a mafia don. The only thing better is peeling notes off the roll later.

17. PHONE CALLS THAT LAST LESS THAN A MINUTE - Unlike birds, we get straight to the point. "Alright? Yep. Drink? Red lion? George, it is then. Seven. See ya."

18. PARALLEL PARKING - Bosh, straight in. First time. Can Schumacher do that? No, because his cars got no reverse gear which, technically, makes you the worlds best driver.

19. HAVING EARNED THAT PINT - Since the dawn of time, men have toiled in the fields in blistering heat. Why? So, when it's over we can stand there in silence, surveying our work with one hand resting on the beer gut while the other nurses a foaming jug of ale. Aaaah.

20. HAVING SOMETHING PROPERLY WRONG WITH YOU - Especially if you didn't make a fuss. "Why was I off, nothing much, just a brain haemorrhage".

21. KNOWING WHICH SCREWDRIVER IS WHICH - "A Phillips? For that? Are you mad, bint?"

22. TAKING A NEWSPAPER INTO THE LOO - A visual code that says that's right, I'm going in there for a huge, long, man-sized poo.