What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

My niece took me out for a practice drive (she is 17 and learning).  Hilariously, her Mum has been telling her a million things to do.  I just shut up and let her get on with it.  She's very good - better than many buffoons out there already driving.

Ace!

I always wish I had more just random driving when I was learning. Stepdad has a company car, so I couldnt drive it on a provisional, so only had driving instructor time (and usually 20 minutes extra because I had a good mate who lived on his way home, so he would finish the lesson the other side of Wycome, then just tell me to drive, and he would only chip in if I was about to do something stupid, so I got 18 free miles to just about Reading out of him every time, nice chap.

When I bought my 206 on L plates, a mate who had been driving for over 3 years (the first of our circle of friends to pass) became a red driving instructor, so when he had his paperwork, but whilst revising for his driving instructor test, we went out every weekend. He would get me to tell him how I was taught, he would try shit out he thought of, and practise his lesson stuff, but I could just drive! Did over 200 miles a day, and he would just jump in if I got tired/it was quicker to blez down the motorway to home. Was far far more cost effective to brim up my 2.0HDI with derv than pay £24 an hour, the only pisser was he had to drive to mine first!

Had 2 more lessons then passed my test second time round after fucking up a double mini roundabout that I still hate now and just drive over the bastard, my mate loved that as he could teach me how to do it. It's notorious for pricks, I got beeped at for not moving, sat there with the indicator on waiting for a gap. Beep = instant fail). How was I to know you just nose out and hope the car about to not look right stops in time?

So do more of that, just let her drive with no supervision at all unless she's about to do something a bit silly.

The first weekend I passed he made me drive 50 miles up the M40 and back too, which helped ALOT. Mate packed the red stuff in after 4 years as 'it's a fucking joke, bastards' and now lives in australia.

I've heard bad things about the Red driving school, mostly related to them promising much (£30k per year earnings!) and then maxing out your area with half a dozen instructors all clamouring for the same business. You weren't allowed to advertise yourself, had to  direct people towards Red who would then dish out the clients.

That's pretty much what the issue was! He did wel lfor the first year, then it tailed off into nothing and I think his gran had to bail him out of his contract.

Was fun when he would drive to the pub in his car though. Pull up to a busy junction, get ready, revs rise, bite point creaking for the gap, there it is! Revs  balanced, handbrake off.......passenger side clutch down!

Infact him and another mate drove to bournemouth (me and someone else in the back, in a 3 door corsa FFS) with the drivers side doing the steering gears and accelerator, passenger side clutch and brakes. That was hilarious fun!

Recorded Kinky Girl on my phone dancing about in a silly manner. She says put it on a usb stick and bring it thru so she can watch it on tv. No problemo!

Wrong! I'd filmed it in portrait, and assumed android tv box thing would just show it in the middle of the screen. Instead it stretches to fit 16:9 with the result she looks like she's 3 foot tall, with 8 foot long arms. KG thought it was hilarious, which is a bonus as I was bracing for a twatting.

Re:Drviing practice

Was surprised by my mate (who is my age and came round driven by his 17 yr old daughter) and my Sis who is mother of my 17 yr old niece who took me out for a practice drive.  They (parents) had apparently both been telling them when to change gear etc etc.  Seems a bit daft to me -

1. Instructor will do that.

2. Except where done at obviously terrible point, it doesn't make a lot of difference (esp in cars they are driving) - and the point is to be getting experience not optimising use of the power band or maximising fuel economy

3. Everyone has a different idea anyway - and it depends on what you're doing - obv I hold onto gears much further through the rev range in the Puma if I am trying to make faster progress, but I don't do it all the time.

4. Instructor will tell them what to do to pass test.

I was really surprised by their parents.

I looked into the RED be a driving instructor thing a good few years ago. They had a computer glitch which meant that it spewed repeat letters to me on a daily basis. Not so bad eh? Sadly it was a couple of hundred letters each time lol. The postie was knackered.

My learning time started when I was about 12. Started on a small dumper and te20 Fergie tractor.As I got older I was 'allowed' on the bigger toys- diggers/hymacs/6tonne dumpers/trannie vans ( dad had a building company). We also had a field we could rip around in old scrappers. Prepared me nicely for my first lesson where the instructor said WTF and had to unlearn 6 years of bad habits!

My learning time began as a 15-year old on school work experience at Land Rover. Disco 200Tdi auto prototype off-road at Eastnor Castle. Immense. I think my classmates were pretty jealous, as they'd mostly been filing and photocopying. Apart from my mate who ended up on the Rangie P38 development team.

When I was 16, my dad let me drive the family Nova 1.2 Merit saloon around a car park. That was the first time I'd driven a car with a manual gearbox and I took straight to it. I had been studying drivers in some detail for some years though. I can also confirm that despite the large boot, a Nova 1.2 Merit four-door saloon still makes a crap choice for a family of six.

Just been to look at this dream house. It was amazing - Immaculate inside, bathroom kitchen etc all new.  Even a bonus cellar for home brew activity.

Turns out the garden is split down the middle shared with next door, so there's only one workshop, not two. But the one had a two post lift and a log burner in it.

You could probably get three or four cars in there, with a separate massive area at the end for storage or an office or whatever.

The missus didn't like it though. 

I might just go on my own...

My non instructor time consisted solely of driving my dads c15 van around a marina (boat,not morris) only on this forum would I have to clarify that!

Followed by 3 months of lessons in a mk2 CLIt diesel.This prepared me fully* for when I hit the road in a 1974 750cc Robin Reliant saloon.

FIFY lol

Just been to look at this dream house. It was amazing - Immaculate inside, bathroom kitchen etc all new.  Even a bonus cellar for home brew activity.

Turns out the garden is split down the middle shared with next door, so there's only one workshop, not two. But the one had a two post lift and a log burner in it.

You could probably get three or four cars in there, with a separate massive area at the end for storage or an office or whatever.

The missus didn't like it though. 

I might just go on my own...

Well, this afternoon that escalated quickly :-(

Anyway, my mam says she'll lend us the dipper til I flog the van, and it looks as though I'll be living in her spare room for a bit.