What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

malton to peterborough and back, all in the name of going to BL Day in the Metro.

having filled the car back up once back home, we were getting a creditable 60.8 MPG on the run. And all without the slightest cough, hesitation or other naughty-ness.

and the weather was perfect, hot, sunny and just a slight breeze, whereas here at home this evening it is blowing like mad and driving rain

What car was you in MM? I took my little Dolly and it performed faultlessly on the 250 mile trip, well it missed a little bit due to a fuel evaporation issue i have at the moment with my wax stats but other than that it was great.

702135585def455e668ee31a304c30e3.jpg

6fc5ba4f36920a7468292f00c0497697.jpg

It was good to speak to RobT, 6-Cylinder and AngryDick whilst there too, I'll try and post up some photos tomorrow.

Had a relatively productive weekend, stripped all the varnish off the floor and sanded back with a huge noisy rented floor sander to get rid of years of stains, ready to be varnished. Somehow didn't fill the house with dust, though it now smells like cedar (solid cedar flooring from the fifties). Looks and smells good even before coating.

20160806_152702.jpg?m=1470522328

Today was raining but took weedeater apart because just as I got it started last time after new carburetor the pull string stopped winding itself back in. Got that fixed (spring broke, so heated the end and bent it to shape) got it not only running properly but it even idles. Silly D shaped mixture screws that take a funny tool to adjust. Suitably annoyed the neighbors setting the carb up. BWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

PHIL

Your winter looks better than our summer. I have many envies.

Ha ha,don't be too quick. See my grumpy post the day before. This was the first sunny day for weeks, and we got to -4 last night, but it is still sunny today.

Check they have the same crankshaft first.

I've known engines have a different crank between manual and auto

Cheers for the thought, I know you can manual convert sierra dohc auto to manual so the flywheel will fit, it's just a case of fitting a spigot bearing so I'll get one ordered up with some new flywheel bolts and a clutch because it would be rude not to while I'm at it

Did we lose some threads in the great Autoshite non-upgrade? I can't find my 'Did John Lydon own a Cadillac?' thread, so I'll update here.

post-16950-0-57981100-1470658859_thumb.jpg

Story so far: a friend recently got hold of a white Fleetwood Brougham, which allegedly was owned by Johhny Rotten. I posted to see if anyone knew whether this might be the case. Except we established that he doesn't drive.

Update: Chum just had the V5 back and it shows one previous lady owner, 'Nora Forster' who I believe is Mrs Lydon.

Chum is very happy.

I was out in the Jag this morning and was following a K plate 528i with a really nice M-sport bodykit in a lovely blue colour. It had a primered wing and one steel wheel and sounded like a tank. I pulled up next to it at the lights, and the driver (an Arab looking bloke) saw me checking his car out and wound the window down. He said he liked my Jag and had been looking for one, but he had a 5 series in his home country and has been looking for a manual one for months, and was planning on restoring it back to how it would look new, as a rolling project. The lights went green and off we went. It's nice to think with all the crap going in the world, old cars still unite people. :)

Bad Manners was as advised rather mental. And at £1.80 a pint I could have got wankered, but I'm too old / sensible for that. Kinky Girl had a top night, but it was all a bit before my time. Think I was prolly one of the youngest in there at 42.

Have a pointless mobile phone video:

http://youtu.be/S567nuGNbtM

^ Spot on, I've ordered up the spigot bearing, flywheel bolts (which the minimum order is 10) clutch, sump and exhaust manifold gaskets today so they will be ready for when I pick the engine up

Have changed a few of these engines in early galaxy's , used to fail because the relief valve in the oil pump would come undone causing low oil pressure . Would check it on your replacement engine as wouldn't want that to go the same way . Would also be interested to know if that is what happened to your old engine , seemed to be a common thing a few year back .

Huge grin, no photo YET. 

I popped into a friends house to let him know my new address. He didn't answer the door, so i went round to the back to see if he was in his workshop. No. But under a tarp was a familiar hubcap and a  mudflap with "Princess" on it. I then noticed there was not a mark on the bits i could see. The rest has to be an absolutely pristine Austin.

Took a photo this morning, from the top of the lookout hill in this town. I went to see if the central island Volcanoes were visible after the huge dump of snow over the last few days. They are about 130 km's away .

The results.

1st the general view.

post-2915-0-56815500-1470702095_thumb.jpg

Then zoom in.

post-2915-0-41953900-1470702351_thumb.jpg

And then I spotted this.

post-2915-0-99205100-1470702631_thumb.jpg

Live in a bus and tow the Niva on an A-frame = The real version of

One Life--Live it !

Apparently there was some deal in the late 70s/early 80s where the nz milk marketing board was paid in ladas for milk exports. I think. That sounds insane now I have written it.

True !!!!    Yes that really is true. There were quite a lot of Ladas about. It was at the time when Russia had no cash.

Have changed a few of these engines in early galaxy's , used to fail because the relief valve in the oil pump would come undone causing low oil pressure . Would check it on your replacement engine as wouldn't want that to go the same way . Would also be interested to know if that is what happened to your old engine , seemed to be a common thing a few year back .

Cheers for the thought, I have tightened a few relief valves in my time, I fitted a brand new genuine oil pump to the engine that went, before the pump went in I undid it and put a dab of loctite on the thread and tightened it up so i doubt it's come loose

Well done Scruff, I do know what is involved in that (no I'm too thick to do it myself, but my brother and sister did).

On a totally unrelated note this morning, while sat in the Land Rover an a retail car-park in Bridgend, I was amused to see one of the Costa "barristas" come out of Costa and go two doors down to Greggs and come out with a bacon bap and a coffee, which he then consumed outside before going back to work in Costa.