Youtube moments

Volksy

23 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

After struggling with carburetors on the Audi I owned, I now understand why people hate carburetors. So engine swaps like this make sense and also make the car more usable. So I don't mind this.

Engine swaps have been  done for a long time. I am not against them except for electric conversions. It is far too early to say if these will be a good way to go. Still here in Spain I cannot change anything on a car without a lot of paperwork and hassle. Even adding lay light running lamps is a pain in the backside.

10 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Engine swaps have been  done for a long time. I am not against them except for electric conversions. It is far too early to say if these will be a good way to go. Still here in Spain I cannot change anything on a car without a lot of paperwork and hassle. Even adding lay light running lamps is a pain in the backside.

Yes, engine swaps have been around for a long time, but it almost always seems to be large and too powerful engines that people switch to, which I don't see the point of. An MX5 engine and box in a Marina, I would assume, should be a pretty good swap in terms of both engine power and keeping the car usebale. And I agree on electric conversions.

Norway is also quite strict about changes to vehicles, I don't think people in the UK know how good/easy they have it. But I hope it will get better as engine changes and other modifications make older cars safer and more environmentally friendly.

We're going to see a lot of changes with old cars in the near future, I'm already having problems finding someone who can weld and almost no one knows anything about carburettors and point ignition anymore and it's only getting worse unfortunately.

18 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I'm already having problems finding someone who can weld and almost no one knows anything about carburettors and point ignition anymore and it's only getting worse unfortunately.

Sounds like there’s a gap in the market for a business opportunity…

11 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Norway is also quite strict about changes to vehicles, I don't think people in the UK know how good/easy they have it.

Same here in Spain. No changes without an engineers report, new roadworthiness test. New parts  must be to EU type aproval. I cannot have daylight running lamps fitted without all of those. Tyres can be changed for larger ones, but there is a limited percentage over the manufactures size. That is the size stated in the vehicles type of approval.

I think Germany is also another country with strict regulations.

The answer to the electric problem of transportation is being worked on by Lord Bamford.

I can hear some of you at the back asking were the hydrogen will come from. Well I think that they should build a hydrogen producing plant next to the giant off shore windfarms that are springing up on the North East Coast. When the days are extra windy the over current that they produce can be used to make the hydrogen. It makes a lot more sense than the power companies getting paid to switch off the wind turbines and waste the green energy that they can produce.

Now, if we had a government that was more interested in proper progress than one that is full of self serving greed merchants, we might get somewhere.

57 minutes ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

The answer to the electric problem of transportation is being worked on by Lord Bamford.

I can hear some of you at the back asking were the hydrogen will come from. Well I think that they should build a hydrogen producing plant next to the giant off shore windfarms that are springing up on the North East Coast. When the days are extra windy the over current that they produce can be used to make the hydrogen. It makes a lot more sense than the power companies getting paid to switch off the wind turbines and waste the green energy that they can produce.

Now, if we had a government that was more interested in proper progress than one that is full of self serving greed merchants, we might get somewhere.

To be fair it's taken JCB years to get to the point they should've been.

They went in to electric diggers, which is fine. Until you see the video of one on a building site. It worked for 2 hours, and would spend the next 8 hours charging from a diesel powered generator.

On 07/03/2023 at 11:27, St.Jude said:

To be fair it's taken JCB years to get to the point they should've been.

I enjoyed Harry's video posted above and he did ask some mildly challenging 'journalistic' questions, but he did seem to come to JCB already converted to the benefits.

2 hours ago, bunglebus said:

This thing is amazing, and not far from me. They're still out there!

Just watched it. It does make me laugh when Johnny boy can not identify a Mk2 Cortina door or one off a Corsair.  And as for not spotting the light blue door with the trim on it is the same as the car he is pulling out of the lock up is priceless. I'll let him off for not spotting the the Nikki carb was for an BMC A-Series.

The car wasn't to bad, but it will probably end up at an auction and get bid up to an unbelievable price for a non-running 1964 Pre-Airflow Consul Cortina Super.

2 hours ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

Just watched it. It does make me laugh when Johnny boy can not identify a Mk2 Cortina door or one off a Corsair.  And as for not spotting the light blue door with the trim on it is the same as the car he is pulling out of the lock up is priceless. I'll let him off for not spotting the the Nikki carb was for an BMC A-Series.

The car wasn't to bad, but it will probably end up at an auction and get bid up to an unbelievable price for a non-running 1964 Pre-Airflow Consul Cortina Super.

I say it once & I say it again, poor man's Mike brewer.