Youtube moments

Volksy

On 8/9/2021 at 3:18 PM, JeeExEll said:

I think these had right-hand gearchange by the driver's door sill, the seat was shaped to fit the gearstick.  This car doesn't have first or reverse but who cares, it'll do for now and driver is enjoying the car.  Great to see it on the road,

I wonder what the film is that's shown in it with the DB4 being chased by the Wolseley ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z5A-COlDPk

I enjoyed this video as both someone into cars and things that light up :) 

but one thing that I noticed was that the thermal flasher he used seemed to be a normally open type,

in that when power is applied the lamp stays off until the flasher has warmed up and it starts flashing

but all the thermal flashers/systems I have seen here in the UK have been of the normally closed type, ie when power is applied the lamp stays on until the flasher warms up and it starts flashing

which seems a much safer way of doing things, because there is an immediate  signal to other road users even if its not yet started to flash

so I found it strange that his thermal flashers where of the normally open type and that for a youtuber that is normally very detailed never mentioned the normally closed type

so I wonder and perhaps @PhilA may know but are thermal flashers different in the US?

are they normally open while British ones are normally closed or did he just not notice the different types and he happened to have bought a normally open type?

Yup, normally open here and the current through the bimetallic strip has little impact on the flash rate unless it's heavily overloaded.

There's a Litz wire, insulated, wrapped around the key part of the bimetallic strip that causes it to flex which heats up rapidly and makes the unit cycle.

Quite different from the single kinky sheet Lucas style ones, the American ones pop like a metal hair clip.

VW Beetle flashers are of the normally open type, with the heater going through the telltale bulb. Put the signal on, the light illuminates, the contacts close which shorts the light and the exterior bulbs light. 

That type are sold as towing flashers because adding extra bulbs for the trailer doesn't cause the flash rate to go stupid.

Phil

Yesterday I came across a run of top gear episodes from1983, this one is a personal favourite featuring hill climbing, circuit racing with jags and some really eighties music 

This episode is a bit more Autoshite though, features a look around of the FSO factory in Poland and a group test of Warsaw pact motors...

US spec Ford Fiesta/Festiva/Mazda 121/Kia Pride action. 

Also features the Ford Aspire which looks a bit odd. 

Nice American YT channel worth checking out. This guy has another channel on Plymouth Prowlers if you like that sort of thing but on this one he puts out a video every Saturday. A fortnight ago he uploaded a video on the Daewoo Nexia/Ceilo/ Astra / Kadett/ Pontiac LeMans. :)

The YouTube algorithim for car related videos..title now must be Barn Find Will It Start..please dont feel creative and try any other title...cos u get nowhere. Actually..my now fave channel is the Estonian guy..who does it without voice-over. Plus the standard of car related stuff is so abysmal...once u gain popularity..they slide off to mainstream supercar nonsense..and they have to punt twenty items and sponsers before a wrench is even pulled...

On 2/25/2021 at 2:02 PM, JimH said:

This just appeared on my front page and I came to post it here only to find it had already been done. If you haven't watched this then I recommend you do if only for the important lesson that a documentary does not necessarily have to involve a bloody stupid voice over.

Fave moment was the German/Yorkshire translator.

Fast forward to 22:42 and you just know that being 70s coppers the conversation would have been different.

Plod "Do you know why we stopped you?"

Black Trucker "No boss".

Plod "Well if you're going to use white man's motorway in these conditions then you need dipped beam".

Black Trucker "Sorry boss".

Plod "You silly little sambo, even your side light lens is broken!".

Plod "I wouldn't have seen you at all if you weren't smiling and rolling your eyes!"

Plod "Now be on your way and be grateful that there's cameras here or you'd be getting a kicking".

23 hours ago, D.E said:

Chasing two robbers through Rotterdam, 1992. 

Highlights: early Hyundai Pony (0:35), Thunderbird (1:38), Visa GTI (1:47), early Ritmo (2:54), the -probably nicked- brand new Astra driven by the robbers (2:57), and the unmarked police Civics (3:05).

Leo often looks back at his programme.  It was one of the first I watched when I started living in NL, (along with Man Bijt Hond). I also liked the section where one police offer would explain more about certain regulations on the road. Never could understand why  Justitie told the police to stop cooperating. They too much wanted is control of what is being shown. They have that   in Wegmisbruikers, which is not very good. The commentor always berates drivers where as Leo has a far gentler  way of pointing out errors. I also liked the section where one police offer with Leo  would go into deeper explanation of  certain regulations which had been shown in the programme.

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

Leo often looks back at his programme.  It was one of the first I watched when I started living in NL, (along with Man Bijt Hond). I also liked the section where one police offer would explain more about certain regulations on the road. Never could understand why  Justitie told the police to stop cooperating. They too much wanted is control of what is being shown. They have that   in Wegmisbruikers, which is not very good. The commentor always berates drivers where as Leo has a far gentler  way of pointing out errors. I also liked the section where one police offer with Leo  would go into deeper explanation of  certain regulations which had been shown in the programme.

Blik op de Weg was an honest program, I think that is what made people appreciate the show for well over two decades. It would show nuances, it would show the police officers as human beings who sometimes make mistakes as well, it allowed the viewer to form their own opinions. Justitie ordering the police to stop cooperating was something belonger to a broader change of direction in which Justitie demanded more control over how the police was portraited on tv. If, for example, a corrupt officer was shown in a detective tv series, they would refuse the use of police cars and uniforms. As one would expect, this didn't work as intended (Blik op de Weg is now a succesful channel on Youtube and Wegmisbruikers no longer exists) and I believe Justitie has relaxed this policy somewhat.

Oh, and I would not advice newcomers to start with watching Man Bijt Hond because it may give the impression that we're a bunch of weirdos😄 The spiritual predecessor of Man Bijt Hond was Showroom in the 1980s, which showed eccentrics such as a man refusing to believe mankind went to the moon, an elderly woman living in a house without running water or electricity, and this man loving Bugattis so much that they made him quite emotional:

15 hours ago, D.E said:

Blik op de Weg was an honest program, I think that is what made people appreciate the show for well over two decades. It would show nuances, it would show the police officers as human beings who sometimes make mistakes as well, it allowed the viewer to form their own opinions. Justitie ordering the police to stop cooperating was something belonger to a broader change of direction in which Justitie demanded more control over how the police was portraited on tv. If, for example, a corrupt officer was shown in a detective tv series, they would refuse the use of police cars and uniforms. As one would expect, this didn't work as intended (Blik op de Weg is now a succesful channel on Youtube and Wegmisbruikers no longer exists) and I believe Justitie has relaxed this policy somewhat.

Oh, and I would not advice newcomers to start with watching Man Bijt Hond because it may give the impression that we're a bunch of weirdos😄 The spiritual predecessor of Man Bijt Hond was Showroom in the 1980s, which showed eccentrics such as a man refusing to believe mankind went to the moon, an elderly woman living in a house without running water or electricity, and this man loving Bugattis so much that they made him quite emotional:

For me Man Bijt Hond is what the Dutch society was about. The acceptance of those who may not fit in normal life. I do not know anywhere else where a TV programme would be able to knock at someone front door and then invited in  to come in and talk about what that person did during the day, or their hobbies.

There is a lot of  non-conformity around just that in some societies that is hidden a bit better.

These are from the BBC TV programme Nationwide. Mostly news with some report on the odd things of life. But no knocking on front doors.