Youtube moments

Volksy

1 hour ago, JeeExEll said:

After last night's unfortunate and avoidable public road incident in Stevenage I looked up a vid which showed spectators' proximity to danger in rallying in the 70s, 80s (mainly), and 90s.

More motorsport, sorry, but some interesting events involving Autoshite cars - Clio @ 1.40, 205 @ 2.10, and Astra @ 3.28. And more, I could go on . . .

Check out the spectators around 4.10, and the BMW driving up someone's leg at 4.40, and more later. Fkn mad!!! Vid is 11 minutes total.

mail online with their usual standard of reporting on the stevenage crash , their online team must all be 14

Pictures taken this morning showed the black car, believed to be a Toyota, had its roof completely ripped off. It was also seen being taken away from the scene this morning

16239918-7262999-image-a-4_1563517795421.jpg

'Salute The Victor'.

Fantastic but very dated UK Dealer launch film for the F-Series, (introduced Feb 1957).

Quote, "On normal runs in England, covering 2 or 300 miles, prototypes have done over 40mpg at an average speed of 35mph". :-)

Check out the handling and amazing ride around 7.30, didn't spill a drop out of that little glass.

Salute The Victor.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:02 PM, JeeExEll said:

'Salute The Victor'.

Fantastic but very dated UK Dealer launch film for the F-Series, (introduced Feb 1957).

Quote, "On normal runs in England, covering 2 or 300 miles, prototypes have done over 40mpg at an average speed of 35mph". :-)

Check out the handling and amazing ride around 7.30, didn't spill a drop out of that little glass.

Salute The Victor.

370,000 of these sold over 5 years in this style. A phenomenally successful car in the era before the Cortina. A big export success too. Terrible rusters though. I wonder if the featuring of the 'Furka' roadsign was some in joke. Nicely made film. IMHO the next two Victors were not such interesting cars. Never driven one though.

Similar film for BMC. Showcasing their engines. 20,000 mile life on big ends at high speeds. Was that something to boast about in the 50's? Also showcases the muddled model range and dumpy styling in contrast to the jazzy slightly later new Victor. Gives a flavour of the corporate chaos of BMC which eventually led to the Leyland takeover and an idea of why 50's cars seemed so old hat by the 60's.

In 1959 my dad was an apprentice electrician for a small local firm who did lots of work in Speyside whisky distilleries. The vehicle fleet consisted of a baby Austin van and a late 40s Bedford pick up truck. One day the two bosses turned up with a new F-series Victor each!!! One was an estate. Quite fabby for 60 years ago. It makes you think about things, both bosses were probably well in their 40s before they could afford this. Nowadays you have 20 year olds with BMW M3s, etc.

I'm just old enough to remember Victors as everyday cars. Our neighbour Mr Miller had a blue and cream one - the early series with the exhaust exiting through the rear bumper. I remember it was very rusty with the chrome particularly peeling off in great shards. It would have been about 8-10 years old then.  But at the time they came out the styling was very fresh. They were a huge export success even sold through GM dealers in the US. 370,000 was big numbers in the 50's. By contast it took BMC Leyland 10 years to sell 386,000 1800 variants - and I bet they made less profit per unit.

Our bit of inner SE London is gentrifing fast. So I get to see a lot of the oat milk coffee brigade on their scooters etc. And what do I see - the new crap is just the same as the old crap - its just dressed up differently. Portlandia summed all this crap up about a decade ago...catch the series on YouTube - London is just like this these days.

3 hours ago, egg said:

great vid thanks for posting.

my old man had a Bluebird 'Premium'. I think it was £5995 new [in 1990]. He hated it as it pinked whenever you accelerated [and he didnt drive it hard]. It went back to Wessex Garages a few times and they acknowledged the fault but couldnt fix it [ignition advance not adjustable of course]. He traded it in for Primera in 1992 which was much better, ie much less shite.

Am not sure if we've had this one yet. It's from the future, with some music made by aliens. If you own a pair of driving gloves then put them on now.

Early yellow SD1 reminds me very much of The New Avengers and The Professionals. The reg number is close but I think it's a different car. A SD1 on a P-reg just looks so 'right'.

The film changes to different vids later. L and M-reg prototype SD1s, OMG.

I think thats the only video where you can see how a Model 70 will oversteer (at 1:49) if you push one too far rather then fall over like most people think they will, also worth noting that those are Mark As on 12 inch wheels, I imagine a Mark B on its wider 10 inch wheels would handle even better :)

(sadly its not the best footage in the world but there are not really that many videos of someone pushing a Model 70 to its limits! I would like to find that 1970s invacar video in full)