MOT Changes 2018

The Moog

I'm response to oil leaks being a failure, just do what my grandad used to do with his Anglia. He kept his old engine oil, then sprayed the underside of the car with it every autumn. MOT tested will find it difficult to find an oil leaks with the whole underside dripping with the stuff!

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-A01W using Tapatalk

They'll just refuse to test out which they can do on an initial visual inspection. I had a test abandoned before due to an oil leak, I hadn't realised it was as bad as it was mind.

Also the seat had a bad oil leak last year and he nearly refused to test it.

I noticed a bit in the new testers manwell (section 3) that says that if the owner of a historic (40 years or over) vehicle asks for a test it must be recorded and entered into the system like any other vehicle. Obviously no MIL or such but ....

Sensible. Which is why I think 40yr+ old cars will still often get tested, as it'll be a selling point. For all the MOT testing faults, given a choice, on an exempt, between a MOT'd car and one without - which would you choose? Well if there is little price difference, I'd imagine most will opt for the MOT car.

They'll just refuse to test out which they can do on an initial visual inspection. I had a test abandoned before due to an oil leak, I hadn't realised it was as bad as it was mind.

Also the seat had a bad oil leak last year and he nearly refused to test it.

But if you are using it for rust prevention, what can they do about that?

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-A01W using Tapatalk

I did a course on test standards on trucks and buses the jist of it was that a lot of operators were actually over maintaining commercial vechiles and wasting money then moaning the standards were too high.  For example with an oil leak a vehicle idling for a minute would need to drop enough oil to cover a credit card to fail. So quite a bad leak and real problem for ATMs. 

All vehicle tests used to be a basic roadworthyness test, lost the plot when they added things like number plate lights.

If you disagree, go talk to someone from the republic of Ireland who remembers the time (was it pre-1999 or 2000? Can't remember) before roadworthiness tests, I daresay they'll have a few stories for you. 

"What? Sure there's not a thing wrong with her, I'm driving her to work every day, so I am."

post-17915-0-57381600-1516759371_thumb.jpg 

post-17915-0-10112800-1516759387_thumb.jpg