1995 BMW 320i

Supernaut

Go talk about E39s elsewhere!

To piss off RBJ some more, I was thinking of buying some of these for £120 with decent tyres:

post-19977-0-73223300-1522088084_thumb.jpg

However the seller seems to be an illiterate goon, and when asked simple questions could not provide a legible answer.

How wrong is the offset?

I may have arranged to buy them for £100. However, I could just use the tyres off them as they are 205/55/16s.

Although... I've seen E90 wheels fit E46s fine, and E46 wheels fit this E36 fine, so by that logic* it should be alright...?

Up to you. They're undesirable corroded scrap to me. I throw those away as nobody wants them. I don't know why you just don't put tyres on the existing wheels. Offset is wrong but they'll fit, will probably foul inner rear arches over bumps.

I recently bought a set of these for £50 off Ebay, mint with lovely tyres: I've no use for them but they were fifty quid. Have patience and decent rims will come along. No need to buy old shit like that.

post-3069-0-60849500-1522089732_thumb.jpg

They cost £100 all-in and came with 2 matching pairs of tyres, all with looooads of tread on them and manufactured dates within the past decade!

post-19977-0-52951100-1522519365_thumb.jpg

I like them, so

post-19977-0-50563400-1522519387_thumb.gif

Also, Mr Coffees got an epic video of me blowing all the rust off the brake discs.

So after fitting the new wheels on, we wanted to get the thing running as the battery was dead.

We were unable to get near enough with a car to jump start it and the boot wouldn't open due to the battery being flat. Cock. So we had a cunning plan. Supernauts Mondeo was in the street, so we'd move my Abarth and push the car down the drive and then pump it using the terminal in the engine bay. All well in good but one of our friends left his car at mine last night before we went to the pub. And he was in Aberdeen today and was on route back to mine to collect it.

Once we swapped his car around with the Mondeo we hooked up the terminals, earthed the negative in the bay and fired up the Mondeo, waited a minute before fireing up the 320 annnnnnnd...she spluttered, alot, before coughing alot and kept wanting not to start...then died. Bugger, maybe not a strong enough earth.
post-19988-0-83263200-1522519476_thumb.jpeg

But we could open the boot now and attach direct to the battery. Once done we went to fire it up annnnnd...same again. Tried several times. Oh fuck....im left with another dead car in the drive...sticking partway onto the street. My driveway has a hill at the bottom of it and wed have to push it up. double fuck. After pushing it a little into my drive and some head scratching I suggest putting some new fuel in it, it was low on the red & its not been started up since mid February, and its endured many cold, icy, wet and snowy nights since then. So the 3 of us jump into the Mondeo to get some fuel...
post-19988-0-15836400-1522519579_thumb.jpeg

Back from the local Tesco we put the 5.03 litres into the car, hook the Mondeo up again and try...
post-19988-0-40512400-1522519646_thumb.jpeg

She splutters a little bit but Supernaut kickes it up to 5,000RPM, springing into life and running smoothly! HURRAH!

After letting it sit for a little while Supernaut then go's for a quick spin up and down the street, living in a cul-de-sac has advantages!

Check out that brake dust!

We congratulate ourself's and let it idle in the drive. As a reward I decide to give it a quick wash...needed an excuse to use my new hose pipe!, and I was getting annoyed at all the random stuff written in the dirt!

Immature snowfoam photo was taken, sure Supernaut has it...

That brake dust!

Also, immature snowfoam photo you say?

post-19977-0-23087800-1522519721_thumb.jpg

Bah, you edited the post while I was posting this!

Still need to do the rear shocks, but it was too cold to do that today. I also have the bracket for the left front drop link to clean up and find another bolt for. I have that in the Mondeo, as I'll be going past the parents' farm tomorrow for Easter lunch. My dad has a very useful workshop where I'll be able to clean it up and find another bolt that fits.

Seeing as this car is edging slowly closer to being roadworthy, and thus street parked in Aberdeen, I'm thinking about security.

What type of steering wheel locks do people recommend and where would I purchase it from?

Puddlethumper's 305 van going missing has sadly reminded me that older cars are not safe from oxygen thieves.

Another question!

GSF have a 58% off offer right now, so I'm looking at getting oil and filters for this. I know 320touring said he serviced it fairly recently, but it's been sitting all winter and I don't think that's done it any good.

The problem is, GSF list a few different grades of oil for this!

- 10W40
- 5W40
- 0W40
- 5W30
- 15W40

:?

Which one would the discerning shiter recommend for a 150k+ mile 320i?

Changing the rear shocks on this was relatively straightforward! It now has new rear shocks and top mounts.

The front ARB links are now properly attached too, and I even put a motor in the driver's side window! The driver's side window still doesn't do the automatic drop a few mm then back up again when you open/close the door, but you can still open/close the door with it all the way up. Seems better than it was with the regulator cable-tied in place. It's not the quietest of electric windows either... hey, at least it works!

With the suspension sorted it actually feels really nice to drive now.

Have a photo of me looking victorious after removing one of the shocks:

post-19977-0-92982700-1523209036_thumb.jpg

Mr Coffees has more photos. I was too busy, y'know, doing stuff to take photos.