Xantia Turbo Diz - Nowt Moves You Like a Citroen, £6 a ticket DRAW WEDNESDAY 31st

RobT

Okey doke, I bought this a few days back from Jollyfkr of this parish mainly just to break the seal on 2018's shite purchasing antics (but also as I've fancied trying a Xantia for a while). Here's the thread:

http://autoshite.com/topic/30753-oh-god-not-another-cheap-low-mileage-motor-with-a-long-mot-citroen-%C2%A3250/

Today I gave it a clean, changed the oil and filters, and will put a new set of wipers on it. I'll also top up the LHM as it's currently sitting just below the min marker. I had to use my Pela pump as I haven't got the right wotsit for the sump plug, otherwise I'd have done a proper job.

post-5013-0-33634400-1516485161_thumb.jpg

I did 150 mile in it on Thursday and it cruises really well, nice and quiet for an old dizzler, but it does have a few issues:

-Brakes are a bit odd. The pedal pulses when you reach a stop and I'm sure they could be better. The STOP light flashes intermittently so this could indicate something is amiss, or the top up of LHM might cure it as it is low at present. Am I'm right in thinking brakes and steering are linked to the hydraulics? I can't remember. I just ignored it and the further you drive, the less it appears.
-Temp and fuel gauges don't work. French innit.
-Heater blower initially didn't work, but I noticed the fuse was missing. The reason for that is it runs full pelt with the fuse in. Heater is nice and toasty though so I might just leave the fuse in for now, even if the noise is annoying!
-It doesn't lock, but has the immobiliser key code pad.
-Could do with a couple of tyres as they're a bit old and cracked but seem to grip OK in wet weather.

Good points are:
-MoT until July
-Goes up and down like it should. A Citroebics session earlier seems to have improved the ride even more now. These things are lovely and floaty yet also handle really well.
-Tidy body and engine bay, albeit a bit oily underneath.
-Low millage. When giving the interior a clean earlier I noticed this

post-5013-0-16374700-1516486006_thumb.jpg

Sum picktures. The light was rubbish today so these are the best I can do.

post-5013-0-71723300-1516486058_thumb.jpg

post-5013-0-17755600-1516486089_thumb.jpg

post-5013-0-69974700-1516486115_thumb.jpg

Tickets are £6 each, which means I'll unashamedly earn a little profit. Jollyfckr is fine with me doing this, and it'll be nice to earn on a car for a change. The last time that happened was in 2008 on a Mk1 Fiesta, and that was only £50. You'd think I'd be able to earn more based on OSF tax but this is me we're talking about...hopeless.

This is far too tempting.. and I'll be in London in a couple of weeks. How come you can't lock the doors? Can't the rears be locked from the inside and the fronts and boot with the key? Any way to check to condition of the cam belt on these?

The rears can be locked but the key just spins in the lock.  Best just take a chance no one wants to nick a rubbish old car, and the key pad means they can't drive it anyway.  Not sure about the cam belt, others may know more than I.

1 . catsinthewelder

2 . aldo135

3 . CortinaDave

4 . egg

5 . The Moog

6 . purplebargeken

7 . trigger

8 . Kringle

9 . Lacquer Peel

10 . KruJoe Cleland

11 . KruJoe Cleland

12 . KruJoe Cleland

13 . phil_lihp

14 . lincolndanny

15 . 320touring

16 . bramz7

17 . purplebargeken

18 . Talbot

19 . Kringle

20 . Bucketeer

21 . sims00

22 . Daviemck2006

23 . Daviemck2006

24 . Kringle

25 . 95 quid Peugeot

26 . 95 quid Peugeot

27 . 95 quid Peugeot

28 . phil_lihp

29 . Rave

30 . egg

31 . robinmasters

32 . CortinaDave

33 . Kringle

34 . lincolndanny

35 . Lacquer Peel

36 . Mr_Bo11ox

37 . The Moog

38 . aldo135

39 . catsinthewelder

40 . Rave

41 . 83C

42 . Daviemck2006

43 . Bucketeer

44 . Danterzza

45 . fraybentos

46 . purplebargeken (courtesy of HillmanImp)

47 . CortinaDave

48 . Mr_Bo11ox

49 . Tickman

50 . Talbot

51 . sims00

52 . bramz7

53 . CortinaDave

54 . Cavcraft

55 . dean36014

56 . Daviemck2006

57 . robinmasters

58 . Daviemck2006

59 . Cavcraft

The rears can be locked but the key just spins in the lock.  Best just take a chance no one wants to nick a rubbish old car, and the key pad means they can't drive it anyway.  Not sure about the cam belt, others may know more than I.

I had that problem with a 406, the key just spun round and wouldn't work the mechanism - a bit of googling suggested blasting wd40 in the keyhole which worked a treat - got to be worth a try ?

I had that problem with a 406, the key just spun round and wouldn't work the mechanism - a bit of googling suggested blasting wd40 in the keyhole which worked a treat - got to be worth a try ?

I had that on my 406, passenger front I think.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Cheers, I'll give that a go today.

I can further add that they key needs to be pushed firmly in or they do just spin. Seems to be a bit of an anti-theft trick so the lock can't be forced.