Daves cinquecento - brutally raped.

dave21478

The parts I needed arrived today at last, which coincided with half-day Friday, so this afternoon was spent lashing it back together.

First off I needed to clean up the head....you saw this method with the Ranger....same deal here with the slab of glass and the wet n dry stuck to it.

post-17837-0-14577100-1516986210_thumb.jpg

Before.

post-17837-0-02450700-1516986235_thumb.jpg

After.

post-17837-0-68478000-1516986246_thumb.jpg

The head and rocker cover then got a bath in diesel to clean all the shmoo off. Petrol is a better solvent but it reeks, is a little dangerous and I dont have any to hand so cherry makes a reasonable replacement.

post-17837-0-58108200-1516986258_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-80248100-1516986272_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-89988400-1516986288_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-11068100-1516986301_thumb.jpg

I cleaned the top of the block with a scraper and a bit of wet n dry wrapped around a block of metal and then got busy rebuilding it.

(apologies for the atrocious music, its the free stuff provided by the youtubes.)

I filled it with shitbox oil from the supermarket as I intend to do a couple of changes on the trot to flush out any remain goop, filled with water and the cranked it up.

Wont run though....well, it runs on two cylinders, but the plugs and HT leads are in poor shape. With the garage lights out the engine bay lights up like the lightning special effects from early Star Trek episodes and i repeatedly zapped the piss out of myself fannying with it so I will leave it for now until I get new stuff.

post-17837-0-81177500-1516986941_thumb.gif

So I robbed the plugs and HT leads off the Panda and spent a while fannying about swapping stuff back and forth which made it run better with all four sparking properly but still really shitty overall.

I spent a while prodding at it and sulking, then decided to do a compression test because why the fuck not?

results....13 bar, 13 bar, 13 bar, zero....wait, what? try that again.....

Yeah 13 bar for the first three but number four not even giving the faintest puff. WTF?

If you watch the rebuild video above at 1/4 speed, at 22 seconds or so, you can see what went wrong. As I tightened down the rocker shaft the rocker closest to the camera doesnt drop into the cup on the end of the pushrod, it somehow balances right on the edge of the cup so the valve was being held slightly open all the time.

I lifted the rocker cover, slackened the four nuts on the shaft and it popped into place...tightened up and refitted the cover and it fired right up and is running well. I got it plenty hot and did a couple of oil changes after 15 minutes of running between each with cheapo oil to flush out the coffee clag, then did a final change with a new filter.

And thats about it for now. Its been parked up round the back of the garage until I get the motivation to swap the engine into the panda. I thought about saving this wee cinq, but just dont give enough of a shit TBQFH. If i keep it, I need to register it, which means I need to insure it....etc etc....Im spunking out enough money on cars I never drive as it is without another one.

Grim photo. Grim cars. Grim mood. Grim weather.

post-17837-0-81912900-1517421832_thumb.jpg

Amusingly, it reversed right into there first try. Getting the Freelander into the same space required shifting the Metro and Panda and still took about 15 back n forths to get round the corner post.

Interesting...I'd assumed these would have had the same FIRE engine as the later Pandas.

We had a 1993 Panda 1000 (Fizz special edition I think...Everything, but everything was green, even the seatbelts), which had the FIRE engine with a single point injection system on it - that thing went like a bloody rocket and revved like a complete lunatic.

post-21985-0-76596500-1517485571_thumb.jpg

Just surprising to see an older engine in this!

The 1000 CC FIRE must have been a bit of a rarity quickly (in the UK at least), can't think of anything else that got it. Cinq had the pushrod and then 1.1 FIRE, Punto started out with the 1.2 8v HGF special.

Are there many Cinqs left in France? Pretty much extinct here.

On the Mk2, the 903cc engine was fitted to the base ''Formula'' models which came as a 3 door only.

And if I recall correctly, a 4 - speed gearbox..

The rest came with the 1.0 or 1.1 F.I.R.E engines, of course if you were feeling fruity you could splash out on the 1.4. Or 1.4 Turbo, and if your a sadist the 1.7 diesel!!

Details of the head skimming here....

http://autoshite.com/topic/29949-dave-does-a-diy-cylinder-head-pressure-test-and-skim-back-together-with-video/

The wet n dry depends on how much meat needs to come off the head. The Fiat was pretty rough so needed a little more off than the Ranger. I use various in the 250 - 400 grit range as needed to get a smooth surface. 

Its stuck to the glass with aerosol contact adhesive.

Unless its an early one that engine will be 899cc and only produce 40 bhp  the panda was 903cc with 45 bhp and was much better.

You need

Panda 903 dance or bella in uk after 86 or 45 pre 86

uno 903 formula after 86 or 45 pre 86

yugo 45

Oh aye, I will choose one of the thousands that come up for sale every day....oh wait.....

Plus the whole thing of specifically wanting injection and dispack ignition instead of wank carbs and wobbly distributers.

Oh aye, I will choose one of the thousands that come up for sale every day....oh wait.....

Plus the whole thing of specifically wanting injection and dispack ignition instead of wank carbs and wobbly distributers.

LOL the carb on the panda is so easy to rebuild, and you just fit an electronic ignition kit to it. A good running carb can give a single point injection a run for its money.