--

xl00467.jpg

Nicely scabby, I imagine this floodwater finished it off nicely for the next MOT.

DVLA say this cortina made it til 1990, not a terrible innings by cortina standards. you used to see properly tatty cars like this a lot, I remember when I was a kid in the 80's seeing mk3 cortinas with flappy vinyl roofs, big rust holes covered up with tape etc.... you just dont see that anymore

My old man's last cortina was KFS 498T - he bought it in 1986 and it had already been patched up and resprayed by then. I remember a year or so later him brush painting up to the middle of the doors in black hammerite to hide all the grot... It would only have been an 8 year old car then. It soldiered on til 1990 as well.

cant imagine seeing an 06 plate focus or mondeo running about like that now

They still cut something of a dash when the Rover 800 was current. You had to watch when a white fastback came storming up behind quickly. My dad had a factory white one when they were in use and The number of people who would pull over was quite remarkable.

Oddly enough it didn't work quite as well in a white MK3 Granada Scorpio which were also popular police cars at the time.

Excellent thread revival.