Worst bodge you've seen

sierraman

I remember a mates Mk2 Cav that was destined for the auction (or bridge).

The exhaust had snapped off where the centre section went into the rear box.

2 90° shelf brackets, self tappered to the back of the box alongside the pipe and a jubilee clip around the whole thing.

Bit of paste, good as new mate.

My uncle had a car in the 50s which was a cut and shut and it was some kind of Austin Shooting brake and it snapped in two.

Apparently the chassis was held together with old bed frame.

He was a bit of a bodger though as he would never buy an air filter and used scouring pads and an old tin for air filter housing.

He was a aircraft mechanic so I wouldn’t want to fly in any aircraft he had been near.

Considering that all the visible bits of a Disco are made of Alloy, glass and rubber and the underside is invariably coated in oil and grease from a thousand leaks it shows how determined Solihull production designers are that they still rot like an absolute bastard.

Several years ago whilst driving over very rough ground in my Scenic, I went down a massive rut and heard a loud bang.

I continued along the 20 or so meters to the house, pulled up the drive and got out before realising that the bang had been my sump hitting a rock and now oil was pissing out at an alarming rate, almost like I had unscrewed the sump plug!

I let it drain out into a bowl and then thought about replacing the sump. Once I discovered how much work was involved, I bought a tube of quick steel, jacked the side of the car up so it was leaning right over so the remaining oil drained away from the broken section, cleaned up the area with some thinners and a scotchbrite and then applied the quick steel.

Once set, I refilled the engine with oil and job done. Several years on, it's still like it and still leak free 

Just remembered a bodge of my very own.

1983 China blue Cavalier 1.6L, mega mileage, knocking. Bought it cheap, went to put some shells in it and on one rod the shells have spun. The new shells are just spinning. So with as good sharp centre punch, I put about 10 or more raised dots in the rod and the same in the cap. No more shell spin. Cleaned the crank up with 600 grit and WD40, put it together, fired some 20/80 Comma Sonic treacle in there and away it went. Sounded alright, oil light went out. 

:oops:

I once bought a Ford Sierra that looked OK on the surface.

Bombing down a perimeter road and the bonnet was flapping about at the scuttle end, I thought the hinges were loose but no it was the inner wings where the bonnet brackets bolted to were made from bathroom silicone then sprayed over. On the same car the exhaust wasn't bolted on and came off narrowly missing an old lady and wrapping itself round a lamp post. Thought I was gonna have to give the old lady mouth to mouth she was  a very funny colour :)

I offered a lift home but she refused for some reason.

Many moons ago, a mate of mine had a Renault 16 with a knocking bottom end..........advised him to bung some Wynn's snake oil in it, and retard the ignition.........he rang me the next day, saying it now wouldn't even turn over................after some discussion,it transpired he'd drained the oil out, and put 14 tins[!] of the stuff in!

• 5 months later...

A seatbelt mounting bolt got me home when the sump plug fell out of my T2. I really need to remember to tighten things properly.

When I used to have motorbikes that were quick on the road paranoia got the better of me and I ended up lock wiring drain plugs. Then I moved on to worry about the split (rivet) link in the chain...